RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

I'm interested in what your sources are; you sound very sure, please share if you can.

I obviously don't expect a game at the same level; specially since voice acting would be a big expense. But that's why I said a spiritual successor and not a sequel. I'd be fine even if it was an indie management game  where you have to balance the emotional state of your sources, establish new ones and are pressured to find particular pieces of information all while trying to avoid detection...Great, now I want to play that game and its not even being made.

AP's budget was around $8 million, if not more, from what I remember. Yeah, I got the sense of your leaning towards spiritual successor but I liked the voice acting and some of the production around that game. It drove some of the fun of the C&C as well. An indie version just wouldn't perk my interest as much, is all, though it could certainly improve some areas(no lame hacking mini games nor console UI, perhaps more Hitman in confrontation but I doubt that)and extend others(more entangled web of contacts)it ultimately sounds a little dry for me. Edited by Blodhemn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEeEphYGio8

I'm a little disappointed that this won't actually be a FMV game, but I'm still definitely interested, plus I liked Hard West. The idea of an alternative history Cold War XCOM is quite appealing.

Here's a link to the steam store page if you want to see what the game actually looks like: http://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/

Edit: I just figured out where I remembered the woman in that trailer from. She was from Devolver's amazing E3 presentation. :D

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

AOE IV ?  Well, I never expect that would happen....

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

any info about era it takes place in?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I haven't come across any, but the announcement video has an animated slide-deck of different civilizations, which seems to run the gamut of what the series has done so far. So either they are sticking with their historic progression or maybe it means they want to run a wider gamut.

At this point I think a spiritual successor through crowdfunding would be the best way to go about it. I would hate to have a publisher attached to what essentially is a niche game trying to modernize it or make it more like something that sells. I already hate SquareEnix for doing that to Deus Ex.

Crowdfunding wouldn't come close to covering what the original cost to make though. Can't say I'd be too enthused at the idea. The game needs some real dollars thrown behind it.

SEGA allowed Shenmue to be crowdfunded, and Obsidian knows how to make games on crowdfunding budget. May work or not, depends how many fans it really has.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

At least the trailer told nothing, but I remember long long time ago, there's a picture indicated the era of IV should be around WW I / WW II

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

so we will get Red Alert reboot? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yeah, it might be like C&C 4.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At least the trailer told nothing, but I remember long long time ago, there's a picture indicated the era of IV should be around WW I / WW II

That was the old Ensemble series plan, who knows where things stand now. But the fact that they are doing Definitive Editions of everything they probably don't need to retread old ground.

Imo we could use Age of Mythology 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TzucxIBnE

Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound will be released upon the world on September 7, 2017. The expansion will be available from digital retailers everywhere for $14.99.

It looks good but what is Obsidian's obsession with the word "Bastard"? I feel like I'm missing something.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It looks good but what is Obsidian's obsession with the word "Bastard"? I feel like I'm missing something.

What do you mean? Afaik, no other Obsidian game has "bastard" in the title.

I mean just in their games in general like Black Isle Bastards. I feel like their may be a connection that I'm not grasping.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What do you mean? Afaik, no other Obsidian game has "bastard" in the title.

I mean just in their games in general like Black Isle Bastards. I feel like their may be a connection that I'm not grasping.

From in-game encyclopedia: "Bastard Tier. Named for its position between two realms (the Northern Empire and the Southern Tiers), the Bastard Tier is a melting pot of cultures, and a place of commerce and intrigue. Even following its conquest by Kyros, it remains a strategically vital area, connecting the Empire to the Tiers below, with Tunon holding court within the city".

Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound will be released upon the world on September 7, 2017. The expansion will be available from digital retailers everywhere for $14.99.

Not exactly getting hyped.

I don't feel that trailer told us much other than we're apparently going to go through a mountain pass.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."