RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Does anyone here play Dwarf Fortress?

I used to. I miss it as it was/still is one of the most strategic games ever produced.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

THQNordic is showing a few games at Gamescom, and since they're one of the publishers that best fit my interests...

The first new announcement is a brand new original IP. This open world RPG is set in a unique universe and will be a post-apocalyptic kung-fu fable.

The first could even be the unknown Obisidian project, though we know so little about it it does supposedly fit 'new IP' and 'post apoc'; plus THQNordic would seem to be a good fit with Obsidian and there simply aren't that many RPG studios that could do such a project which aren't already doing stuff. OTOH the Obsidian project is probably too early to be 'fully playable' except maybe as a vertical slice.

Their second unannounced title sounds interesting as well.

• Like 1

THQNordic is showing a few games at Gamescom, and since they're one of the publishers that best fit my interests...

The first new announcement is a brand new original IP. This open world RPG is set in a unique universe and will be a post-apocalyptic kung-fu fable.

uu9pmDP.gif

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The first could even be the unknown Obisidian project, though we know so little about it it does supposedly fit 'new IP' and 'post apoc'; plus THQNordic would seem to be a good fit with Obsidian and there simply aren't that many RPG studios that could do such a project which aren't already doing stuff. OTOH the Obsidian project is probably too early to be 'fully playable' except maybe as a vertical slice.

Their second unannounced title sounds interesting as well.

Kung-fu fable?  Maybe Obsidian is carrying on their tradition of doing BioWare's sequels.  :shifty:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

THQNordic should just find some badass developer to make Jagged Alliance 3. Nothing else matters. :D

But i do hope that Aquanox thing turns out the be decent enough, read better than other Aquanox games, so on the level of archimedean dynasty. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Jagged Alliance is burned. None of the titles after JA2 were able to take over the torch, most of them failed horribly even without the JA name. I doubt anything good will happen with it anywhere in the future...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

THQNordic should just find some badass developer to make Jagged Alliance 3. Nothing else matters. :D

But i do hope that Aquanox thing turns out the be decent enough, read better than other Aquanox games, so on the level of archimedean dynasty. :D

The first Aquanox was "Starlancer, UNDER-WATER!", right? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Hmm, Starlancer was still a space sim of the old, Aquanox games went more into arcade shooter than sim territory. >_< Oh and a full on Geforce 3 TI commercial. >_<

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Jagged Alliance is burned. None of the titles after JA2 were able to take over the torch, most of them failed horribly even without the JA name. I doubt anything good will happen with it anywhere in the future...

It's never had a decent development team, though. I wonder what will happen with Ian Currie and Turbine, since Turbine seems to be in a slow motion march to the death? He is probably the only guy who could do it, although I'd be interested to see what Firaxis could do with it as well. Xcom 2 had quite a bit of the JA feel.

The crazy thing is all those security contractors you hear about in the news sound exactly like they are coming out of the Jagged Alliance database.

The crazy thing is all those security contractors you hear about in the news sound exactly like they are coming out of the Jagged Alliance database.

Haha, yeah. I remember 20 years ago when I first played the games, I thought "man, this would be kinda cool to have in real" ... and now look where we are. It pretty much exactly happened that way. Nowadays I don't think it's that cool anymore, though.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"The first new announcement is a brand new original IP. This open world RPG is set in a unique universe and will be a post-apocalyptic kung-fu fable."

into the badlands we go

That show could be better.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Isn't Kiwami remake of Yakuza 1 on PS2? I've never played PS2 titles, but enjoyed all Yakuza, I've played so far.

Correct. They've remade it with modern graphics. But after playing both Zero and Kiwami, I realized how similar the stories were. You know how Star Wars Eps 7 is basically the same story as 4? It's like that. But Zero has two protagonists to play with (Kiwami only has Kiryuu) and the overall writing is a lot better. There are a lot of laughs and original ideas, whereas the original game's sidequests (and thus Kiwami's) are really straightforward and dull. Well, that's my impression anyway.

Now the question is: to try Yakuza 6 or not to try Yakuza 6? I almost want to buy it just to see Beat Takeshi in-game....

Edited by Heijoushin

Nintendo sinks to new lows as they've now locked a difficulty level behind an Amiibo.

At first I was okay with Amiibos when it was just cosmetics that were locked behind them.  I changed my stance pretty quickly when Amiibos were made artificially scarce to drive up prices and Nintendo started locking gameplay items and features behind them.  They are now very devious and sometimes rather difficult to get pieces of overpriced DLC.  One of the many reasons I will likely never buy anything from Nintendo again.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

.hack//G.U. Will have 4th episode as a bonus to the three remastered PS2 episodes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/01/hackg-u-last-recode-launches-november-1-japan-comes-brand-new-vol-4-episode/

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Yo, people. I'm working on my ArmA3 campaign again, and I'm about to wrap that thing up. What's left to do: A final, short news broadcast video in usual newsbroadcaster style. Anyone around here who can lend me a hand and check out the following text?

After turbulent last months, the fragile peace on Altis appears to hold, with local government officials reassuring a brigther future for everyone.
However, critical voices from the opposition still won't stop calling the government a tyranny and 'Puppet of the East'.
Tension rose once again earlier today after a press conference in Pyrgos, attended by Colonel Vahid Namdar and Colonel Akhanteros, confirmed the new CSAT airbase on the Altis mainland.
Quoting Colonel Akhanteros: 'This is a first step and will lay the groundwork for an increased presence and consolidation of future peace operations in the mediterranean.'
With its end of the mandate on Altis and Stratis approaching, NATO states remain hesitant to comment on the latest developments....

Does it work? Does it sound good? Is it utter crap? Any thoughts, feedback, ideas? The video has to be around ~1 minute of playtime in total (intro, text, outro fade).

I'd like to get a voice actor for that quickly, so I can release this thing about mid August. Which means, I have to finalize the text.. as soon as possible.

nKYR6g.png

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

And Bioware Montreal is officially no more

Not really surprising but hopefully there will be no layoffs as they get rolled into Motive, whatever that is.

Some layoffs are almost certain to happen, unfortunately.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"