What are you playing right now?

Completed Life is Strange after getting it on Playstation Plus last month.  The little things are what makes this game shine.  All the tiny details scattered around the world that brings quite a surprising amount of life to the characters.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue...it's tortuously bad at times.  It sounds odd but I can totally tell that this game is made by a bunch of French hipster dudes trying to think like American college girls.  If I hear the word 'hella' again I think I might gnaw off my own fingers.

Still, it was worth playing for the interesting mechanics and competent world building.

It feels like everyone in the world loved it but me. I thought the animations were even worse than Telltale games and that bugged from the first episode. Everyone seemed so robotic. And as a fan of time travel stories, the ending was a complete letdown. Edit: To be fair, I have to give it credit for keeping me optimistic until that point.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Even though I'm a 30 year old male (as of typing this), I agree that Life Is Strange had terrible animations, art style and the voice acting was either great or super terrible.

I think why it became so popular is because it does one thing right, I'm not sure if I can explain this well enough for I'll try...

Life Is Strange seems to deal with controversial issues that alot of people - especially young girls - experience today. Whether that would be being a victim of parental neglect, abuse, sexual assault, suicide, drug abuse, disability, death etc. Life Is Strange covers these issues no holds barred and yet still does it elegantly.

I did appreciate that at the end of the game it had a message that said "If you felt anything after playing Life Is Strange, if you were a victim of any like situations, please click the link and join one of the support groups" or something similar to that affect.

I know there are other games that deal with these types of issues but none of them to this extent or realism that I've seen - closest thing would be Oxenfree I'd say. The characters in Life Is Strange are surprisingly deep and relatable but maybe it depends on what generation you are from. Kate Marsh reminded me instantly of an ex-gf I had so that gave some feeling of familiarity and pity.

But my wife couldn't play the game because it was too emotional for her. Which is sad because I thought it was made for her. Understandable though. Idk, I really loved the characters, Max felt genuine and Chloe was hard for me not to care for by end of game.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I liked it a lot because it kind of reminded me of my youth in some weird kind of way. Well, at least the school part and stuff. It just gave these feelings. That emo-hipster stuff and the soundtrack music was great. I didn't really liked the final episode, though. Somehow everything was falling apart at that point.

Didn't mind the animations and such at all. It just wasn't an important factor for me. If I hadn't read about the criticism, I probably would have barely noticed it.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Tried out Destiny 2 beta. It's ok, but i wish there were other PVP modes to play instead of Control and that Plant charges/protect stations mode. That way i would have spent more time in it. Now i'll just play it if anyone invites me back in. Still buying the retail of course, that'll have the content i want.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Tried out Destiny 2 beta. It's ok, but i wish there were other PVP modes to play instead of Control and that Plant charges/protect stations mode. That way i would have spent more time in it. Now i'll just play it if anyone invites me back in. Still buying the retail of course, that'll have the content i want.

Did you enjoy the first game? I'm still well on the fence about this one and solo play content.

• Like 1

Playing Sword Coast Legends. Completed the main campaign, started Rage of Demons.

SCL is a fairly good RPG (closer to Diablo, than to PoE, though), but it's focused on MP elements too much for my taste. I guess, it is unusual for an isometric party-RPG.

The closing song, "The Path of Destiny", sounds somehow familiar.

• Like 1

I'm going to give HITMAN a break for a big and just bask in the glow of my silent assassin suit only elusive target victory.  I don't want to start anything super serious in the short term with Pyre coming out in about a week, so I guess I'll play some American Truck Simulator to get my chill on.  ATS is always a good go to when you just want to chill out and relax, a great virtually stress-free game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I tried playing Exoplanet: First Contact in hopes of getting some great screenshots for people here. But the game is still very early in Early Access and crashes a lot.

So instead of playing I started thinking and decided I'll be calling SonicMage here the FuzDohRaHedgehog from now on.

Sonic Mage already either implying he is a blue hedgehog spellcaster or a spellcaster who uses sound as part of their magic, kinda like the shouts in Skyrim. OR (queue suspenseful music) both: a blue hedgehog Dragonborn who shouts stuff.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I started playing Divinity: Original Sin with my girlfriend and it's fun. Nothing very special, some things that really are done wrong (inventory, I speak of you!), but humor and sometimes really funny use of fantasy/RPG cliches makes it a good timefiller for weekdays afternoons and evenings. And of course it's fun because we can play it together on one couch :)

• Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.

Alright, more progress with Mad Max.  What an awesome game.  Honestly, it's gotta be my favorite post apocalypse  game out there.  As I said before, I can see where some might call it repetitive, but I haven't felt it yet and I have literally been clearing everything, but really enjoying it.  The setting is awesome including the sand storms and look of the game.  The combat is just pure fun.  I feel like you "feel" every hit and impact.  Really solid altogether.

Also making some progress with Breath of the Wild including finding and liberating this little gem....

P9XWBHz.jpg

Fun game for sure.  Exploration is nice when you're not "checking off boxes" around the map.  I know there's quests and divine beats to take down, but I just love seeing what's around the corner.  I was able to play the testfire of Splatoon 2 this past weekend and came to the realization that it probably wasn't for me, however still eagerly awaiting Mario + Rabbids and Mario Odyssey among a host of indie titles like Axiom Verge, Portal Knights, Battle Chasers.  Just the idea of playing all these games on the go is what I'm most excited about.  It was extremely hard to pass through the whole steam sale without picking up Hollow Knight because of how excellent it's supposed to be, but I'm trying to wait to play in on the Switch.....Trying...

Edited by SadExchange

Did you enjoy the first game? I'm still well on the fence about this one and solo play content.

Yes i did. Bungie can create proper gunplay even if it's at 30 fps. And i had a big enough group of friends for all the activities so i could play for years. We did stop a few months ago though because it felt played out. But with Destiny 2 we might just all come back again. At least they say so, even after playing the beta. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Alright, more progress with Mad Max. What an awesome game. Honestly, it's gotta be my favorite post apocalypse game out there. As I said before, I can see where some might call it repetitive, but I haven't felt it yet and I have literally been clearing everything, but really enjoying it. The setting is awesome including the sand storms and look of the game. The combat is just pure fun. I feel like you "feel" every hit and impact. Really solid altogether.

It's a great alternative to Fallout, the combat is great and everything just feels good in the game :)

I tried playing Exoplanet: First Contact in hopes of getting some great screenshots for people here. But the game is still very early in Early Access and crashes a lot.

So instead of playing I started thinking and decided I'll be calling SonicMage here the FuzDohRaHedgehog from now on.

Sonic Mage already either implying he is a blue hedgehog spellcaster or a spellcaster who uses sound as part of their magic, kinda like the shouts in Skyrim. OR (queue suspenseful music) both: a blue hedgehog Dragonborn who shouts stuff.

I'm quickly becoming the saddest legend of the Obsidian forums :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Finished the new Shadow of the Beast game. Pretty short(3-4 hours maybe?) but there are whole lot of things to do after finishing the game, unlockables for the most part AND there are also 2 more endings I can unlock. Well worth the 10 bucks I spent on it and one of the better 2D Action Platformers I have played in the recent years.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

You managed to do something I haven't. No one has told me they have me on their ignore list :( Years and years of practicing trolling and arguing online, and then I come here and it's all for naught.

But you are now in the illustrious company of such renames as Yesnek and Burglercat.

Edit:

I have not yet decided if katphood should become dogdrink or dogdiet or hungerdog.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Ideally both words have to work as opposites to the two parts of your username respectively. Or at least opposites in the way I understand them when in a funky mood. Alternatively the changed part needs to create the feeling of opposite for the new whole (a friend at uni named Farshad became Nearshad for example - a joke only one person in our course appreciated, and it wasn't him ;) )

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

You managed to do something I haven't. No one has told me they have me on their ignore list :( Years and years of practicing trolling and arguing online, and then I come here and it's all for naught.

But you are now in the illustrious company of such renames as Yesnek and Burglercat.

Edit:

I have not yet decided if katphood should become dogdrink or dogdiet or hungerdog.

Thanks I think lol I'm not intentionally arguing or trolling though. I think the fact that I don't want to arugue with people is what made Fenix block me. As far as the trolling that people accuse me, I think it's more of people being unable to handle difference of opinion or getting offended for something that was never meant to offend in the first place. Maybe it's because text is so hard to read emotion off of though. As always alot of assumptions, misconceptions, etc.

I do notice that the same 20-30 people comgregate to each section on the forums, mainly because there's alot of bigotry in each one so as the saying goes: "Birds of the same feather flock together" This doesn't help me as I am still considered the "New" guy and the fact that I don't agree with most people here so then comes the "Let's gang up on this loser, he's different than us so let us crucify him!!" mentality but as I said before, the more people that hate me the more reason to stay. The more people that complain, the more active I shall remain. I'm just thankfuk that none of those people are moderators or administrators ;)

But above all, happy to be here to just talk about the games I love to play which is more important than anything - always found it creepy to make judgements about people on forums anyways lol Its not my style.

Edited by SonicMage117

I keep out of the Pillars forum as I don't really play the game, so have nothing to say about it.

I keep out of the off topic as there are too many political discussions, and with the Greek financial crisis too many people had opinions about a situation I am living through and like to not think of when on a gaming forum, and don't like to read sadly ignorant opinions about. (and a lot of right-wing ranting)

I stick around this part because it is safe and people accept the fact that I'll post Mordheim screenshots. And I know people here well enough that I can use their opinions on games to make educated guesses at what would interest me.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 8

I enjoyed Mad Max right up until the ending phase of the game.  All of the films had a mood of crap happening, but still ending on an optimistic tone. The game doesn't quite have that.

Sure, there were a few gameplay/mechanical issues I had with it, but for the majority of the time it was fun.

The ending of the game is pretty damn depressing and hopeless and doesn't really give a satisfying 'ride off into the sunset' vibe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Completed Black The Fall (2.5D puzzle-platformer in an Orwellian setting).

Pretty much like Limbo, but more unsettling.

Graphics and soundtrack are good. Puzzles are interesting, but simple. Controls, while fairly comfortable, are not customizable and could be tighter.

• Like 1

Replaying the original Bioshock on the ps4. It's a fun game to replay every once in a while(quite contrary to popular belief, eh?). Good thing I bought the Bioshock collection, never had the chance to try any of the DLC's for 2 or Infinite. Though I wish I had a PS4 Pro for Bioshock: Infinite, the boost mode gets rid of the framedrops. Funny how my 4 year old AMD Radeon 7770 can run the thing flawlesly at 1080p@60fps...lol.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Since it doesn't look like there's going to be any dlc to worry about for ME:Andromeda I'm pondering on doing a second play now, and seeing just what all the various patches have done.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Playing Buy a 4k monitor for use with Ps4 Pro mainly and don't spent a fortune on it. It includes the search for holy PIP/PBP, massive battles between IPS and TN dragons, a 60 hz mode challenge and of course the battle between Inches, 27 vs 32 with secret characters like 28 and others. It stars ASUS, BENQ, AOC, SAMSUNG, LG, ACER, Dell,...

It's the most difficult game i've played so far.

• Like 2

1.13 killed off Ja2.