What are you playing right now?

Is Prey as good as the original? (Prey

No, but the comparison doesn't really work because they are completely different games. I wouldn't even put them in the same genre. The original was very much a shooter, albeit a creative one for its time. The new one is much more of an action RPG.

• Like 1

No, but the comparison doesn't really work because they are completely different games. I wouldn't even put them in the same genre. The original was very much a shooter, albeit a creative one for its time. The new one is much more of an action RPG.

Aha... so the pattern continues (again). It was the same with Fallout. "No, but the comparison doesn't really work because they are completely different games. I wouldn't even put them in the same genre."

Aha... so the pattern continues (again). It was the same with Fallout. "No, but the comparison doesn't really work because they are completely different games. I wouldn't even put them in the same genre."

Yep, I think Bethesda and Arkane pretty much stated that the game has no relation to the original Prey, the name just fits with what they did with the game. Or something to that effect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my recollection.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Yep, I think Bethesda and Arkane pretty much stated that the game has no relation to the original Prey, the name just fits with what they did with the game. Or something to that effect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my recollection.

It reminds me of those two guys that bought that Goya print set, because they could; and then scribbled over all of them because it fit with what they wanted to do.

_______

I might take a break before starting the "Dark Queen of Krynn". Witcher 3 has been sitting installed but almost unplayed since day one. I don't think I ever left the tutorial grounds. (It was because they ditched almost everything that I loved about the original game, that I lost interest in it fairly quick); I think I will give it a second chance before DQK.

Edited by Gizmo

Witcher 3 has been sitting installed but almost unplayed since day one. I don't think I ever left the tutorial grounds. (It was because they ditched almost everything that I loved about the original game, that I lost interest in it fairly quick); I think I will give it a second chance before DQK.

Took me a year to finish it. I got to the big city in in the second act and then the game just died on me. Repetitive, boring, choresome. I picked it some eight months later and pushed through by force - the story was generally well done (though disturbingly overwritten at times) and some quests had some neat things going on (like the Bloody Baron stuff), but... meh, the gameplay isn't very good. I don't regret buying and playing it, but it's quite overrated.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I grew up with the originals but Doom 3 is hands down my favorite Doom.

Rage got alot of flak bc of Bethesda closed mouth policy, people unfortunately took it as another "Falloutish" and got pissed when it wasn't when it came out.

I really enjoy the clay-like graphics of Doom 3. I get memories of when John Carmack announced that it would be the first game ever to have self shadowing subjects. It's stil impressive to look at.

https://youtu.be/80guchXqz14

But I prefer Doom 3 over the new one because it feels haunted house-ish whilist the new Doom is like a glorified Serious Sam. I just prefer the Haunted House type atmosphere more which is probably why I enjoy The Evil Within still.

About the whole Rage vs Fallout debacle, I think that's where people go wrong. They tend to compare every post-apocalyptic game to Fallout when that's a very poor stamdard to have for an apocalyptic game. My favorite would have to be the Mad Max game because everything is so sparse, whether ammo, people or structures. It's not trying to wow people with towns full of habitants, dialogue or items that ruin the end of days experience.

Fallout 4, for instance, is a perfect example of turning that type of setting into a joke. Nothing is sparse, people and mutants are everywhere, etc. I likethe control of Mad Max in that area, it's important for devs to be creativeas well as to know when too creative kills the game. Balance is everything.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I did not like the "clear the hall of hostiles", then "step through door, and get attacked from behind" game mechanic of the game. Perhaps that is the 'haunted house' aspect that you mean.

I bought D00M 3 so that I could try the Ground-Zero Mod.

What I would have really liked (and been throughly impressed by) for D00M3 is a developer best-effort attempt to interpret doom wads from 1&2.  Such that their code looks at the wad-map and tries to at least mimic the layout using D00M3 assets.

Example:

fqlNOMY.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

I did not like the "clear the hall of hostiles", then "step through door, and get attacked from behind" game mechanic of the game. Perhaps that is the 'haunted house' aspect that you mean.

I bought D00M 3 so that I could try the Ground-Zero Mod.

Rather the atnosphere, introduction of enemies and how they animate.

If we're talking clearing enemies from room to room, hall, then yes, every Doom has that same thing going on. The newer Doom is just much more fluid and faster than Doom 3, while Doom 3 is much more slow paced. I like the slow paceyness.

Edit: I should add that Doom 3's biggest emphasis is on lighting and how it deflects off of dark areas, which is why I think they made that one slower. I think the new Doom is focused purely on gameplay, which is why I think it's faster and has those finishing moves.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

As others have noted, The two Preys are different beasts. If we're going strictly by quality of the games, I think the new one is better overall. It's a modernized System Shock.

Got Dawn of War 2 Master Collection cheap, so I'm going through the campaign with a friend. Love the over the top... well, everything really.

FOR TEH EMPRAH

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I much prefer the over the top violence of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, and the new Doom. I enjoyed Doom 3 but it wasn't really a Doom game, you know?

Yep. It's almost like a Resident Evil game with Doom's creatures and settings :p

Just very different.

• Like 1

Finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Definitely longer than I was thinking it would be.

Now back to God Eater: Resurrection and Kingdom Hearts HD.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I reached level 93 in Lord of the Rings Online and I'm still busy saving the people of Rohan. This place is huge, but there have been a lot of solid quests and storylines along the way. I'm still not a fan of mounted combat, but I've become a bit better at it. It's almost like a dogfighting game (Red Baron style, not Michael Vick style.)

My captain is pretty close to moving on to Gondor, and then I can walk through the gates of Mordor. Or something like that. 

edit: Oh, and my house is looking amazing with all the stuff I've collected over the years.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Playing Death Knights of Krynn, and really liking it so far; next up will be Dark Queen of Krynn.

Prey is half off on Steam, and also there's a free trial. Started playing it yesterday.

Still not quite feeling Prey, but I'm chugging through it. I'm cheating resources to give me lots of neuromods though, which works for me. This progression system gives me absolutely no clue as to what I can expect to be able to hit through normal play, so I'm trying to grab all the stuff that's interesting now.

There were a couple of attempts to make a sequel, but they failed. Finally Arkane got it and did their own thing. The only reason it's called "Prey" now is because Bethesda had already bought the IP. I find it quite addictive, though a bit painful at times.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Playing Death Knights of Krynn, and really liking it so far; next up will be Dark Queen of Krynn.

Prey is half off on Steam, and also there's a free trial. Started playing it yesterday.

Still not quite feeling Prey, but I'm chugging through it. I'm cheating resources to give me lots of neuromods though, which works for me. This progression system gives me absolutely no clue as to what I can expect to be able to hit through normal play, so I'm trying to grab all the stuff that's interesting now.

I hated the original Prey. So I'd say this one's better, but it's not fantastic.

It's very much like Bioshock on a space station, or rather it's trying to be System Shock from the developers of Dishonored.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well it was the first Doom to have an actual story and objectives so that can change the feelz of the game alot.

Nah, the other Dooms had story and objectives. The story was pretty barebones and the objective was to make it through all the levels and kill the final boss.

Not that your point is invalid.

Edited by Belle Sorciere

Waiting for the release of Xcom 2: War of the Chosen Expansion and then Mario + Rabbids, which ships to me on Wednesday due to a shipping error:)  Thanks amazon.  Playing a little Terraria on the side, basically just picking up resources, upgrading equipment, having fun.

• Like 1

there is another expansion for XCom 2? how long I will have  to wait till they finish with it and I can buy complete edition? :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

there is another expansion for XCom 2? how long I will have  to wait till they finish with it and I can buy complete edition? :/

Did they do that with the original? Regardless, this is the only actual expansion, the other DLC is just minor missions and slight changes. This changes the entire campaign, much like Enemy Within did (rumor is even more so.)

Also I wouldn't play the game with the expansion the first time. It will totally change the experience.