Welll to confuse the issue of harpoons and spears, spearguns have spears which have ropes attached, and they are designed to get stuck. But they sure ain't called harpoon guns! If people really want to get into an argument (read adult discussion) they could try explaining the difference between a pollax and a halberd....

Going back to the topic at hand, I certainly didn't find the larder door way out as a weapon. In fact there were no weapons or items generally, which I thought were crazy. Not to say that they were not cool, just that I never did a double take and went "that's impossible, it would never work in real life"

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The Dragon's Maw shield does seem a bit impractical due to the 3D surface, but otherwise does look cool. There's also the Aattuuk, which just looks unusual for a dagger, but it's still in the totally possible range.

While others do have a point that a larder door wouldn't work for very long, it would still work in a pinch. I just see it as being a bit of a silly thing.

I'll just jump in to give my opinion about the (huge) difference between spears and harpoons because it is such an important subject. I must say, harpoons and spears are two completely different things. The harpoon is a harpoon wheres the spear is a spear. You can't use the one as the other. It's like comparing a knife to a cleaver. I mean come on the one is one thing the other is another. They are just not the same if you know what I mean. And I mean it, mind you. Just to be clear. Bottom line, harpoon is a spear, spear is a harpoon. Ok? Don't mix them up.

• Like 2

You guys know a harpoon is a legit weapon and not zany or unusual at all right?

So serious suggestion time (not that we should let Bloodborne doing it first stop the tentacle arm), how about an eyepatch that actually enables you to focus and project soul energy out of it.  Basically.... lazer beams out of your eyepatch.

And before the no humor committee shows up, I know that I misspelled laser.  It was on purpose for comedic effect.

Welll to confuse the issue of harpoons and spears, spearguns have spears which have ropes attached, and they are designed to get stuck. But they sure ain't called harpoon guns! If people really want to get into an argument (read adult discussion) they could try explaining the difference between a pollax and a halberd....

Going back to the topic at hand, I certainly didn't find the larder door way out as a weapon. In fact there were no weapons or items generally, which I thought were crazy. Not to say that they were not cool, just that I never did a double take and went "that's impossible, it would never work in real life"

Lol, but harpoon guns are a thing.

Poleaxes are axes on poles to deliver a blow with reach, halberds are poles meant to pull men down from their mounts or other entrenched positions.

a legit weapon for hunting whales and elephant seals.

harpoon, at best, is spear-like.  is hurled.  is barbed.  is extreme heavy with the 5' to 6' wooden shaft being as much as 2" in diameter to give the weapon greater heft and penetrating power. has a rope attached the harpoon socket, which were not bolted or fixed to the shaft 'cause the shaft were designed to release from the socket. yes, the harpoon has a pointy end and a wooden shaft of some length, but the harpoon were not designed as a weapon for fighting human beings.

suggest that in reality a harpoon would function similar as a spear or be particular useful as a melee weapon is as ridiculous as larder door. however, yet again, this is a situation where reality need not impede a kewl idea.  harpoons fit w/i the setting.  am sure the developers could come up with a nifty harpoon weapon for poe2.  in spite o' the reality o' the harpoon being an uncommonly ridiculous weapon for most situations, am thinking it would work fine in poe2... and as spear is the only poe weapon even similar to a harpoon, we would have few reservations to a poe2 showing up in the game as a spear.

a special harpoon as a melee weapon in poe2 is ridiculous.  don't make it a bad idea.  just need make sure it fits the setting and the overall aesthetic.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and for the wacky folks equating spear gun projectiles with spears, am forced to recall the idiocy many ad&d dms faced when players chose to use a lucerne hammer as their weapon of choice... 'cause is a big warhammer, yes? more than a few clerics o' thor wielding a lucerne hammer.

pps and since the original scope o' the thread has been lost, we will indulge in gauche reminder. am not thinking the point o' the thread were to come up with a list o' kewl or improbable poe2 weapons.  genesis poster posited how difficult it would be to exceed or even equal the larder door in terms of "sheer wtf."  not need compile an increasing list to recognize the ease with which the developers could match the larder door's you-must-be-smoking-something quality. am thinking by now it should be kinda obvious the developers could do something equal unique as the larder door w/o much effort at all, no?  

we will note there is likely a highly subjective goldilocks zone for such stuff.  the wtf must be fun/kewl. must be appropriate to the setting. at the same time, must not violate highly fluid aesthetic notions. if somebody wanted to, a warhammer 40k chainsword could be explained via the logic o' the setting, but would such a thing be out-of-place or would it be easily accepted by all poe2 gamers? unlikely acceptance.  how wtf is too wtf?  what kinda wtf is acceptable? magic is ok, but does ordinary physics still apply?  is some leeway? how much leeway? 

*shrug*

oh, and to reiterate, larder doors and harpoons is ridiculous... but not necessarily bad ideas.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The size and weight of the harpoon makes it sound more like in the pike class. The most unusual PoE gets with spear/pike weapons are the Xaurip spears with their curved blades, which may actually make it a different class of weapon, but still lethal.

PoE generally stays pretty realistic as far as weapons go, so, skull-flail aside (which would still work as you're still swinging around a heavy, skull shaped, chunk of metal), we'd probably expect the same of PoE2. Not that they wouldn't be able to fit in a spear or pike that sort of looks like a harpoon.

I wonder if Xloti's scythes will be classified as a completely new weapon type or will just be classified as 'really strange looking hatchets'.

Edited by smjjames

I don't know. On the one hand, a harpoon is probably heavy enough that you'd want to use it with two hands. On the other, it's probably shorter than a typical spear (about 6-8ft) and far shorter than a pike (although pikes in Pillars are really not long enough to be considered pikes). I could see it go either way, but if they did make it a pike I'd encourage them to remove the reach property.

Okay yeah, that's comparable to PoE pikes.

kinda off-topic.

eh.

am thinking picture is misleading.  typical wingspan, the outstretched max fingertip-to-fingertip distance for an adult man is within a few inches of height.  'stead of having one arm bent, where does outstretched left arm o' the harpooner reach along the length o' the weapon pictured? traditional spear is 6' to 8' haft.  pike is at  least 10'.  affix harpoon socket to a more reasonable (less) heavy haft and am thinking you got something which is at least traditional spear size... even if still stupid.  am guessing the girth to' the haft is what is making a few folks see as a pike.  clearly the harpoon in the picture ain't gonna be wielded one-handed with a shield, eh? the most obvious distinguishing feature 'tween a spear and pike, its length, is not what is making the pictured harpoon seem pike-like.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a legit weapon for hunting whales and elephant seals.

harpoon, at best, is spear-like.  is hurled.  is barbed.  is extreme heavy with the 5' to 6' wooden shaft being as much as 2" in diameter to give the weapon greater heft and penetrating power. has a rope attached the harpoon socket, which were not bolted or fixed to the shaft 'cause the shaft were designed to release from the socket. yes, the harpoon has a pointy end and a wooden shaft of some length, but the harpoon were not designed as a weapon for fighting human beings.

Honestly, the setting should probably have more weapons that are designed for fighting large animals.  Trolls in particular seem like a common enough nuisance that a specialized weapon would be designed.  Remember that Europeans had a variety of spears specifically designed for hunting boars.  Fishing spears or Swedish wolf / ski propellers could be cool.

The amount of times I had to read that in order to understand, was not worth the expenditure.

edit: But ultimately I think how you use the weapon determines its class.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 1

I reckon this topic is a tad more confused than the British electorate...

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The only historical situation I know of using harpoons in battle was the Roman pilum. It was not a harpoon harpoon but it worked like one. It was more of a javelin type. You throw it towards your opponent, your opponent blocks it with their shield, the pilum sticks in the shield (because it was designed that way) and renders it useless (oponent has to toss their shield). This could be a cool way to use javelins in Pillars, although it will wear off soon.

Now if you use a harpoon as a spear or something, you risk losing the weapon because it'll grip in the opponents whatever part. It's not a good idea.

The only way I can see it happening is by specific opponents, such as ogres, shooting harpoons with huge crossbows or something, hiting you and pulling you towards them. Neat.

Of course this is a fantasy setting and they could just make a unique spear shaped as harpoon, name it "Harpoon of the Deep Ocean" and just pretend it is a normal spear; harpoon shape is for the shows and the marine theme.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

Sorry, heh.

The thing is that the unique weapons and shields in PoE1 and WM didn't really deviate from the general shape of the weapon type and their unusualness tended to be more in their abilities and stories attached to them.

Armor and other wearable items are more likely to have an unusual appearance in a 'WTF is THAT' sort of way. Though in PoE1, only the helmet, cloak, and armor actually appear on the character, and judging from the screenshot of the frog helm+scale mail armor, looks like it's still that way in PoE2.

Edited by smjjames

I'm thinking a ship wheel as a shield or at the end of a flail. Heck, maybe even a club weapon. Find the 8 (club/steering knobs) pieces and you can craft a legendary ship wheel for the ship.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/18/49/f5184967ea9cdfb274c7d3ed1c8267b3.jpg

A ship wheel for a shield wouldn't be of much good cosidering how many and how large open spaces it has :p

But I'm in for some crazy marine-themed gear. Like a giant clam shell for a shield or ogres weilding anchors on chains as flails :D

Neither is a larder door (which I think is more of a nickname for the shield)? Thought the discussion was going in a sort of "joke-weapons" type of direction :p I only skimmed the thread.

Ogres with anchors sounds absolutely awesome though o.o

Yeah, the discussion seemed like it was supposed to be about joke or less-than-serious items, but it got derailed on the particulars of makeshift/improvised weapons/armor and then went into harpoon stuff.

That skull-flail which Josh Sawyer previewed earlier might go in that category as it's a 'memorial/tribute flail' that one of the devs designed (or requested if they didn't design it themselves).

Having Ogres in the Deadfire would be cool too, they certainly seem capable of building ships if they wished to.

Edited by smjjames

A thread isn't good until it's had its first derail.

But it seemed pertinent because joke weapons inevitably have to fit existing weapon/armor types. So you have to find some category to which they belong. Doing that is even part of Obisidian's requirements for backer items.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this thread earlier today, and it inspired an idea for another zany weapon.

We need a multi headed flail, made of rusty brownish corroded iron, that has a proc chance to explode with a cloud of noxious gas and fumes dealing light damage and major debuffs to anyone inside it.

We call the weapon, the Fartknocker.

• Like 1