@OBSIDAIN can we please have an update on release date?

Mate, are you genuinely asking for it?

If so, this really isn't the right way. Also I doubt they'd have any meaningful update on the game's release date at this point. When they have it, they'll share it like they did with the first game. For now, March 2018 remains the targeted time frame based on what we know.

If you are especially inclined to hear it from Obsidian, I suggest tweeting to one of the developers.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 9

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Whoa there man, give em time to work on it. I do not think it is remotely realistic to expect a release date yet. 

We invest in crowdfunded games so that there is not some publisher telling our favorite developers to be finished before X and end up compromising the game. So why would you start in on them as a crowdfund participant? 

Edited by boffmoffet
  • Like 4

It'll be ready when it's ready ;)

Note in the fig update 34 video, it says that it's pre-alpha footage, so, they aren't even in what they call the alpha stage yet.

I probably wouldn't expect a firm release date until a couple months out, so December or January at the earliest most likely, since the tentative release (or at least the goal they're aiming for) is the first, maybe second, quarter of 2018.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 2

OP, what will change for you if you learn now the release date of a game planned for realease next year? They said Q1 2018, experience says Q2 '18 at least. I'm sure they're not sure either. Wanna plan something around it? Something that important that can be cancelled by the release of a video game?

Personally I agree with posters here, this is not how to ask for a release date update, and this is too early to even be asking.  It is unreasonable to expect they have reached a point in development now where they can do anything more than make a guess.

That said, I hate it when people post "it's ready when it's ready".  This give them all the time in the universe attitude some people have toward game development is just plain bad.

1: Game companies are businesses, businesses need to make money, and if you aren't releasing a game you aren't bringing in any money.

2: People tend to deliver better results when they are under a reasonable amount of pressure, because employees who know they can take all the time in the world often do just that.

3: There is no real evidence to indicate that longer dev cycles lead to better games, and there is evidence that indicates the opposite might be true.

4: Longer dev cycles do lead to higher costs, higher costs are harder to recuperate, and that means you are going to make less profit.

So no, Obsidian, please don't take all the time in the world.  Work hard to get it done in a reasonable time frame.  Now, what is that time frame?  I would guess it is probably first, or second quarter 2018.

• Like 3

We deserve it. We paid for the game remember and we want to play it.

No really can we please have an update on when it will be released

Dude, at this point you just sound like a typical internet brat. Don't do that.

• Like 5

Yup, we definitely deserve it! Obs owe us big time. In fact they are completely unreasonable. We should be far more involved in the production process. After all we crowd funded it. So in light of that I'm gonna make a list of issues that they had better resolve to my satisfaction. If they don't, I'm gonna, gonna........ sulk.

• Like 4

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

So no, Obsidian, please don't take all the time in the world. 

Taking all the time in the world and it being ready when it's ready aren't the same thing at all, and I think at this stage in development "it'll be ready when it's ready" is a perfectly reasonable response to firkraag888's post which doesn't imply that smjjames is happy for Obsidian to take as long as they want.

• Like 1

Personally I agree with posters here, this is not how to ask for a release date update, and this is too early to even be asking.  It is unreasonable to expect they have reached a point in development now where they can do anything more than make a guess.

That said, I hate it when people post "it's ready when it's ready".  This give them all the time in the universe attitude some people have toward game development is just plain bad.

1: Game companies are businesses, businesses need to make money, and if you aren't releasing a game you aren't bringing in any money.

2: People tend to deliver better results when they are under a reasonable amount of pressure, because employees who know they can take all the time in the world often do just that.

3: There is no real evidence to indicate that longer dev cycles lead to better games, and there is evidence that indicates the opposite might be true.

4: Longer dev cycles do lead to higher costs, higher costs are harder to recuperate, and that means you are going to make less profit.

So no, Obsidian, please don't take all the time in the world.  Work hard to get it done in a reasonable time frame.  Now, what is that time frame?  I would guess it is probably first, or second quarter 2018.

I don't think Obsidian needs time constrains as they have budget constrain. They got set amount of money and they can work as long as the budget lasts. They sounded pretty confident they will be releasing it Q1 2018. Maybe it will change. Maybe with more money they wiil push it back a bit, who knows. So many other things to do meantime anyway

• Like 1

You're on the wrong board lad. Easy mistake to make, as this OBSIDAIN company has a name very similar to Obsidian. You should direct your questions there.

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

You're on the wrong board lad. Easy mistake to make, as this OBSIDAIN company has a name very similar to Obsidian. You should direct your questions there.

There was a poster who used to always write "Obistan" or something similar.  I wonder if the OP went to the same school as him.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Wow what al load of BS. OP posts requesting update on release date and everyone chimes in with there opinion on the post off the OP asking for the update.

You didn't just ask for an update, you asked in a particularly obnoxious, entitled fashion. Had you said something like "I'd love to have more information about when Deadfire is going to be released" then chances are the responses to this thread would have been less critical.

• Like 2

"May I have the butter?" vs "Where's the butter? I deserve the butter. I payed for that butter, remember, and I want to eat it."

Do you understand how one of those will get a better response than the other?

• Like 3

Here's the update...

Obsidian took all the money and threw a huge rave on Ibiza. Sorry, game is cancelled.

But it was a great party.

:closed:

Guess the jokes on us then.
  • Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Am I the only one enjoying Firkraag88's 'unconventional' style here then? Yes, he's a bit rough. But his posts never cease to give great enjoyment to me as he comes across as a brusque, entitled and confrontational young man. I frankly think he posts them like that intentionally to achieve just that effect. There's no way this is not an act :p