Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics Episode 7: Remake of Episode 4

Politics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
553 replies to this topic

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
I used "metaphor" in a more general sense since you usually have trouble distinguishing metaphorical meaning from literal. https://www.quora.co...a-hyperbole-too

Edit: I guess it's a lot easier to get a top secret clearance than I would've thought: http://www.breitbart...ur-nsa-secrets/

NSA must be too busy spying on Trump to worry about such things.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 06 June 2017 - 09:45 AM.

Terminator

Terminator

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts

Politically not commenting USA politics since I live in Europe, but I am not happy with Merkel EU politics at all. Hopefully Shulz will replace Merkel in upcoming German elections. What has that to do with Finland my country? Germany holds much power indeed within EU. Shulz party is like "left middle", but the important thing is that Shulz has realistic chance to replace Merkel as Germany leader and Shulz party wants clearly different immigrant policy then what Merkel wants.

Now Merkel has very long history as leader and she might get reelected again. Who wins the German elections remains to be seen. Merkel earlier years have been good, but this recent mandate as leader have been a fiasco to Europe. You can blame Brexit on Merkel politics.

Edited by Terminator, 06 June 2017 - 10:09 AM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I used "metaphor" in a more general sense since you usually have trouble distinguishing metaphorical meaning from literal. https://www.quora.co...a-hyperbole-too

you don't understand what you are posting.  you weren't attempting to ridicule the analogy with an exaggeration.  in the present exchange, Gromnir woulda' been the one who coulda' used as metaphor 'cause it woulda clear been sardonic.  

*shrug*

you see word hyperbole and metaphor as being possible to use simultaneous and then again complete ignored how you actual used.  

the internet is so damned dangerous.  people frequent post links to articles without reading.  even worse, folks make a cursory read o' a subject and thinks they have actual knowledge.  baffling.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 06 June 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Are you posting drunk?

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are you posting drunk?

again, you have revered 'cause such should be our line.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Bartimaeus likes this

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

Are you posting drunk?

Isn't he always?
  • Valsuelm likes this

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Are you posting drunk?

HA! Good Fun!

Slurring speech too.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

Politically not commenting USA politics since I live in Europe, but I am not happy with Merkel EU politics at all. Hopefully Shulz will replace Merkel in upcoming German elections. What has that to do with Finland my country? Germany holds much power indeed within EU. Shulz party is like "left middle", but the important thing is that Shulz has realistic chance to replace Merkel as Germany leader and Shulz party wants clearly different immigrant policy then what Merkel wants.

Now Merkel has very long history as leader and she might get reelected again. Who wins the German elections remains to be seen. Merkel earlier years have been good, but this recent mandate as leader have been a fiasco to Europe. You can blame Brexit on Merkel politics.

Mostly agreement. To blame Brexit solely on Merkel is a bit harsh though. But her inability to find a European solution for the refugee crisis and her disastrous policies concerning Greece indeed weigh heavy. Although specifically concerning Brexit, I'd say there are more causes to it.

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 June 2017 - 10:56 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Which states have joined the climate alliance that commits to Paris agreement?

Win/Win! The Earth is SAVED and we are keeping the King of England out of our face.

Amentep

Amentep

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5250 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ.  Please discontinue the speculative discussions of other posters status (health, mind, body, etc.) in this thread and stick to the topic.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are you posting drunk?

HA! Good Fun!

Slurring speech too.

if in the present disagreement with wod, Gromnir suggests, "clearly The Media is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the Democratic National Committee," folks is clear understanding it is used as humorous exaggeration. maybe we add an *insert eye-roll here* for folks. is sardonic.  this is the way intended hyperbolic metaphor is 'posed to be utilized. 

were wod attempting to poke fun at the notion o' the dnc and The Media being aligned? no. wod trying to have both ways.  makes an initial ridiculous observation which he attempts to defend.  when defense proves untenable, then he wants to claim exaggeration... for dramatic effect? attempts to validate with poorly understood literary technique.

as to gifted characterization, am indeed glad municipalities and states and corporate entities is stepping up to fill the void.  even so, the paris agreement were asking individual nations to make voluntary reductions o' carbon emissions.  if the tea tax (which ironic lowered the cost o' tea) were  left entirely up to the 13 colonies to set whatever amount they felt appropriate, am doubting folks woulda' seen Georgie as being in anybody's face. is what Paris Agreement does.

HA! Good Fun!

ps edited out a rather tame twilight zone reference after seeing amentep remarks. apologies nonetheless.

Edited by Gromnir, 06 June 2017 - 11:25 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Huh, I just checked, and no term limit for the German prime ministers!

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't understand how any country operates without term limits.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

well, the XXII amendment weren't added to the Constitution until 1947, so am guessing even if are limiting to US history, one can find some basis for figuring out how such a thing might work.

HA! Good Fun!

ps our snarkiness is high today 'cause am not sure if we is being punk'd by gifted and am having needs deal with others we know is doing the brainfreeze bit unintentional.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

Huh, I just checked, and no term limit for the German chancellors!
Yeah, pffffttt, why would we need that. We never had any problem with particularly power ambitious chancellors, I assure you.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

Money, mostly. But I don't think that's any different for you.

On a more serious note, Germans are known to be notoriously atttached to one particular government they like. We had many chancellors for 2, 3 terms in a row. German voters are risk averse and like to stay with one person, I think one whole reelection campaign was once won with the slogan "no experiments"

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 June 2017 - 11:47 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

ps our snarkiness is high today 'cause am not sure if we is being punk'd by gifted and am having needs deal with others we know is doing the brainfreeze bit unintentional.

I'm not punking you Gromnir, I think we just have poor communication with each other.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

Yeah, pffffttt, why would we need that. We never had any problem with particularly power ambitious chancellors, I assure you.

In other news there has been a fire in the Reichstag. She's competent enough and there is something to be said for stability right now

Hey Americans, what's it like to have the retarded kid everyone picks last for football for president. 

• Ben No.3 likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I actually think it's more likely he has an early form of dementia. If you go back 20 years and see how he talked then, he's much more of a lucid, clear-spoken, and intelligent speaker. I wouldn't say he's quite a totally different person, but it's at least possible to follow and understand him. Nowadays, the majority of what he says is just endless nonsense or platitudes that you can only get the very basic gist of - anything more than that you're going to have to really construct yourself for him. IIRC, he's the oldest president ever elected and he's lead a pretty horrendously unhealthy life-style*, so I guess it wouldn't be that much of a surprise if that were the case. But to answer your question, I would say it's "not good".

*This is the guy that believes that everyone has a "finite amount of energy", after all, and that your body breaks down once you start to run out of it so exercising is obviously terrible for you.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 06 June 2017 - 12:09 PM.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

In other news there has been a fire in the Reichstag. She's competent enough and there is something to be said for stability right now

Hey Americans, what's it like to have the retarded kid everyone picks last for football for president.

Fortunately Obama's gone now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users