Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics Episode 7: Remake of Episode 4

Politics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
553 replies to this topic

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I thought that was obesity?

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3293 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Gerrymandered obesity

0t7G9x.gif

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

19702112_10155494478015746_1094700504378

• ShadySands and Bartimaeus like this

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What evil **** is the GOP trying to do that the Democratic party leadership doesn't support?

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

What evil **** is the GOP trying to do that the Democratic party leadership doesn't support?

Recently? Trying to exist in the long term.

• Guard Dog likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

As coup attempts go, this one is creative: https://www.yahoo.co...-124521145.html

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

As coup attempts go, this one is creative: https://www.yahoo.co...-124521145.html

So that's how democracy dies and oligarchy rises...

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2669 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Or, you know, any mental health professional worth their salt would have the man institutionalized if he didn't have the money to bury them forever. :)

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

As coup attempts go, this one is creative: https://www.yahoo.co...-124521145.html

Yeah...that's not a good solution. These dummies never realize the simple fact that once you set a precedent...for example, stealing a supreme court justice...it often comes back to bite you in the butt later on, and devolves the state of politics even further than it already is. Set up this "committee" and you may well find yourself on the other end of that blade somewhere down the road. It's irrelevant, anyways, since it won't pass: if enough Republicans felt comfortable with this "committee" to vote for it, they'd just signal their support for impeachment to begin with, rendering it moot. Perhaps there should be a way of determining if a president is still sane, but having it be a political process - which it would be, as is obvious from any other Congressional committee - is not the way to go.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

Or, you know, any mental health professional worth their salt would have the man institutionalized if he didn't have the money to bury them forever. :)

So your definition of health professional worth their salt is institutionalization of people with non liberal views? Or do you have any examples of actual mental disorder of President Trump?

• TrueNeutral likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2669 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

While I'm not a mental health professional at all, a lifetime of experience with them and groups of people suffering from mental illness has made me fairly confident that President Trump suffers from the following:

Cognitive Disorder
Solipsism

Developmental Dyspraxia

Ganser Syndrome

Histrionic, Narcissistic, Paranoid and Borderline Personality Disorders

Schizoeffective Disorder

Psychosis

Opioid Dependence

Body Dysmorphic Disorder (obsession with hand size)

Erectile Dysfunction (clearly)

With extremely high levels of comorbidity judging by the diagnostic requirements and standards of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). He is clearly a danger to himself and those around him. While this bill won't pass, it is clearly the moral thing to do to get him the help he needs and away from responsibilities he's clearly not capable of dealing with.

I wish more than the last two were jokes, but I'm pretty sure about the rest. :lol:

(This post is clearly in jest.)

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah...that's not a good solution. These dummies never realize the simple fact that once you set a precedent...for example, stealing a supreme court justice...it often comes back to bite you in the butt later on, 

maybe not a great example.  the likelihood o' a Court Justice dying or becoming incapacitated during an election year is smallish.  is possible such will not happen again in your lifetime. 'course Justice appointment were not actual particular political 'til relative recent in history.  Justice is qualified? well then, you got a new Justice. am personal able to recall a time before bork were a verb.

perhaps a better example were the democrats under obama killing the filibuster for all Presidential appointees save for SCOTUS. bad precedent. were no surprise when republicans removed filibuster for SCOTUS appointees, yes?  is gonna be many Presidential appointees over the next few decades who we is gonna look back with benefit o' hindsight and wish it were a bit more difficult to manage a senate confirmation. 

steal a Justice? based 'pon history such were a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  heck, would shock us to once again be witness to the unlikely confluence o' all relevant circumstances which made such an appointment delay possible.  am actual giving mitch mcconnell credit for pulling off the political feat.  nothing mcconnell did before, or will do in the future, is gonna have as much impact on the American political landscape than his delay o' the Court appointment.  he bet a hard six, and won. congrats to the old buzzard.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 02 July 2017 - 08:35 AM.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts

Definitely small, but given that it's happened five times in the last hundred years or so (most recently under Reagan), it's probably likely to happen again...unless the SC gets more politicized than it is, and justices start resigning early in order to help pack the court - as of now, that doesn't seem to be the case, though, as justices seem to (wisely) hold themselves separate from any party or political leanings. It is pretty unlikely, though, that the Democrats will ever make them pay for it, that I'll agree to. It's actually more likely that they'll lose even more ground in the SC unless things hold as they are until around 2021, at the very earliest (...assuming a Democrat presidency). That's a lot to ask for of both Kennedy and especially Ginsberg, and, well, the odds are against it. If something like this were to happen again, it's probably most likely during the Trump/Pence presidency, actually, if the Dems manage to wrestle control of the Senate this upcoming election cycle: I could see them going full obstructionist with any new picks. An unfortunate sign for the state of our democracy if that ends up being the case...but hey, we were obviously already there before any such scenario.

As for McConnell...that's the unfortunate truth, I suppose.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Definitely small, but given that it's happened five times in the last hundred years or so

no it hasn't. again for this situation to be relevant one needs a Justice to die or become incapacitated during the final year o' a President's term, and one needs have the party opposing the President in control o' the senate. don't expect to see this again any time soon.  is highly unlikely to bite any current senator in the arse, and why would they care if 100 years from now something similar happens? 100 years from now, even if there is a republican party, chances are it will be much different from the current republicans.

HA! Good Fun!

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts

I agreed to that already - your original statement did not include the "opposing party" bit, which is what I was replying to with that: "the likelihood o' a Court Justice dying or becoming incapacitated during an election year is smallish."

Edited by Bartimaeus, 02 July 2017 - 09:32 AM.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

100 years from now, even if there is a republican democratic party, chances are it will be much different from the current republicans democrats.

Fixed  :biggrin:

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I agreed to that already - your original statement did not include the "opposing party" bit, which is what I was replying to with that: "the likelihood o' a Court Justice dying or becoming incapacitated during an election year is smallish."

no good reason for ignoring our later comments.

*shrug*

your whole point were 'bout this kinda thing biting folks in the keister.  is a smallish chance o' this kinda thing coming back to haunt the republicans anytime soon.  to bite in the arse, need have opposition in control of the senate during a Presidential election year when a Justice dies or becomes incapacitated.  should be obvious why mcconnell and other republicans weren't worried seeing as how they had nothing to lose.

even then, five times in 100 years would still be extreme rare, no?  with medical tech being what it is nowadays, the complete unexpected death o' a Justice is actual becoming less likely.  kennedy and ginsburg is the folks most likely to retire or die soonish.  am suspecting ginsburg will hold onto the bench with cold dead hands for as long as possible.  any similar scenario involving antagonistic President and senate is at least three years remote.  

"it often comes back to bite you in the butt later on."

nope. chances is possible but pretty darn slim for any current serving senator to need face a butt mangling. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Bartimaeus likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7840 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

As coup attempts go, this one is creative: https://www.yahoo.co...-124521145.html

Wouldn't that end up with Pence in charge?

Need some way of eliminating everyone until Mattis is in charge.
  • ShadySands and redneckdevil like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The Democrats are just as tragically stupid as the Republicans with this impeachment and other Trump removal talk. Take a good look at what's going on around here. Trump completely undermines his own team's best efforts everytime he opens his mouth or turns on his phone. The Obamacare Lite or whatever they are calling the Senate Healthcare bill today is dead meat and every hates the House version (the AHCA). The Republicans have been calling for the repeal and replacement of the ACA for eight doggone years. They had eight doggone years to decide what to do. Clearly they never expected to be able to do it because they never invested any serious thought on HOW to do it. And now the best idea they can come up is half-assed Obamacare. All their supporters who hated the ACA will hate half-assed ACA. The Democrats and their supporters don't want anything they do to succeed they will hate it no matter what. If I was the leader of the DNC I'd tell everyone to just STFU and stay out of the way while the Republicans do what they always do: piss off so many of their own supporters they get stay home in droves in 2018 and 2020 and the party gets creamed in the elections. Republican voters get very angry when voting Republican gets them Democrat Lite. 

As for getting rid of Trump, why on earth would the Dems want that? Pence is smart, pragmatic, and practical. He might even do a decent job as President. If you give him three years he might even be hard to beat. He's not likely to make a fool of himself and pick stupid fights with media nobodies. Three more years of Trump tweeting, bombast, and general jackassery and all they have to do in 2020 is not run another Hillary Clinton (yes that mean you Elizabeth Warren). 

Personally I hope they keep it up. I hope they get right in the pig pen with him and mud wrestle him until you can't tell one from the other. I'd like nothing better that for the whole country to see what a sad, sick joke their two political parties have become. Maybe then they will realize there are other choices, some of which have some very good ideas. 

• redneckdevil likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9344 posts

Guess Trump is gonna tweet Remove Kebab video tomorrow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users