Politics Episode 7: Remake of Episode 4

"Again, this is the same bilge spewed by the angry left, from pathetic schmucks like Hodgkinson, to any MSNBC host, all the way up the Democrat leadership. This is who they are. They hate you, they hate Trump, they hate America and they basically want to silence or kill you.

This is who they are."

interesting site, this jammie

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Gerrymandering is one my personal issues that I like to speak out against (and do nothing else) every once in a while

On paper I kinda like California's system :ducks:

Don't hold your breath: though it would obviously be beneficial for our democracy, from what I understand, it'd be tough to establish political gerrymandering (as opposed to something like racial gerrymandering, which was actually deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in NC recently) as being unconstitutional, and while the more liberal justices may use some...creative reasoning for calling it unconstitutional, it's pretty unlikely that the more conservative justices will. It's something that would have to be fixed in Congress...and given that both parties use it at least some degree, I think that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What if you're a mixture of republican/democrat? Who says you have to be one of the other? Is someone here going to preach to another "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways"... or be truthful about the pros and cons of each in an unbiased manner.

Oh crap... hope I didn't step on any toes with this one. That'd not be my intention :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What if you're a mixture of republican/democrat? Who says you have to be one of the other? Is someone here going to preach to another "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways"... or be truthful about the pros and cons of each in an unbiased manner.

Oh crap... hope I didn't step on any toes with this one. That'd not be my intention :(

I think finding anyone who is 100% for any political party here would be tough to do. Voting here in the US has become an exercise in choosing the people you despise the least. Last year few people liked our choices but ended up picking the lesser of two evils. Unless they voted for Johnson, Stein, or the other guy whose name I've already forgotten. 

You can be a mix of both D & R. You can be neither. That is what I'd call myself. I wouldn't want to cast my vote for either of them. It's like choosing which butt cheek to get a shot in. In the end your political opinions are entirely your own and you come to them through your reading, education, and life experience. They need not conform to any ideology. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well I do not mind stepping on toes. Party loyalty is dumb and a terrible way to operate as a voter.

There is an exception I think. Voting for members of legislative bodies really has become an exercise in picking a party rather than an individual. Congressmen, State Legislators, etc who are willing to buck the party line are becoming rare because they are punished be getting primaried or having re-election funding withheld. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Party loyalty is dumb and a terrible way to operate.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In other news last night Republican Karen Handel defeated Democrat John Ossoff in a special election for a vacant congressional seat in Georgia's 6th District. That district includes parts of Atlanta and it's suburbs. The Democrats invested heavily in this one as a referendum on Trump (which is what they said about the ones in Kansas, Montana, and South Carolina too) but the outcome really should not be a surprise. Ossoff out raised Handel by a margin of 5:1. He raised $23M to try to win a job that pays $170k per year. But most of his donations came from outside Georgia, let alone the 6th District. He didn't even live in the district he was running for. He could not even cast a vote for himself. Factor all these things in and consider Georgia is a place where the term "carpetbagger" is still in the vernacular.

Thomas Sowell

Money is a bit more even than that. Handel had 13 MM spent by PACs.

Elections are good for the economy!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah counting Handel's fundraising and all the soft money spent this election ran up a tab of over $40M. If that's not the most ever for a congressional seat it has to be close.

Thomas Sowell

The real problem isn't gerrymandering, it's the corrupt two party system. But since both Republicans and Democrats are invested in it, it won't change unless (very unlikely) the voters realize the problem and there's a mass movement to fix it.

"Again, this is the same bilge spewed by the angry left, from pathetic schmucks like Hodgkinson, to any MSNBC host, all the way up the Democrat leadership. This is who they are. They hate you, they hate Trump, they hate America and they basically want to silence or kill you.

This is who they are."

QFT

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Ohhh speaking of...

My favorite is Fox news because of all the hot women on there... which I think is the real reason people don't like Fox news. They don't like when their journalists to wear short dresses and high heels I guess. My wife doesn't like Fox news either so I guess women are more sensitive to Fox news? I always pondered this....

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That district includes parts of Atlanta and it's suburbs.

Pretty sure the 6th district avoids Atlanta's city limits.  Its North Fulton, North DeKalb, and East Cobb counties.

He didn't even live in the district he was running for. He could not even cast a vote for himself. Factor all these things in and consider Georgia is a place where the term "carpetbagger" is still in the vernacular.

Eh, he lives a mile and a half from the 6th district while his girlfriend is attending Emory medical school.  Supposedly he grew up and lived previously around Northlake, which is currently part of the 6th district but wasn't part of it until 2013, I think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, pretty sure that I read somewhere that district is solid Republican territory and the only reason it became an arms race was because the Democrat was doing so well and they hoped he could pull off a major upset.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeah, pretty sure that I read somewhere that district is solid Republican territory and the only reason it became an arms race was because the Democrat was doing so well and they hoped he could pull off a major upset.

Its been republican since 1979 when they first elected Newt Gingrich, IIRC.  That said, it used to not have North DeKalb in it but instead part of Walton County.

Edited by Amentep
misplaced comma
  • Like 1

He didn't even live in the district he was running for. He could not even cast a vote for himself. Factor all these things in and consider Georgia is a place where the term "carpetbagger" is still in the vernacular.

Eh, he lives a mile and a half from the 6th district while his girlfriend is attending Emory medical school.  Supposedly he grew up and lived previously around Northlake, which is currently part of the 6th district but wasn't part of it until 2013, I think.

You're right. He did grow up within the district. I read that a little while ago. He was not the stranger the AJC made him out to be yesterday.

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

vid

See everyone, our most benevolent leader is even trying to figure out how to save Mexico some dinero. :biggrin:

mexico paying for the wall is one o' trump's more ridiculous claims... which is kinda impressive given the catalog o' whoppers available. 

was talking with a conservative friend o' ours recent 'bout obama eye-roll worthy claims, and there were no shortage o' such.  am knowing gd likes, “if you like your health-care plan, you can keep it.”  our personal faves is, “more young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities across America,” and “90 percent of the budget deficit is due to george w. bush’s policies.”  off by a factor of 5x for the college claim and obama's policies were responsible for more than 40% o' total deficit in less than 4 years as President when claim were made. there were much chuckling at obama's expense. the thing is, the good-natured banter ceased when Gromnir pointed to trump's mexican wall payment claims and a half-dozen other doozies such as electoral college and popular vote totals for 2016, trump impact on military contracts negotiated long before he were elected, coal, etc. 

laughing stopped.  weren't funny no more.

*shrug*

bs has no party affiliation as far as Gromnir is concerned, but US politics has become so polarized and emotionally charged that folks cannot admit that their guy might be full of it. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps at times such as this, Gromnir sighs relief recognizing just how little the President qualifies as our "leader" in any meaningful sense.  our biggest obstacle when discussing US politics, particular with europeans and asians, is trying to get such folks to understand how much more limited is the National government o' the USA compared to what they know.  is an even bigger problem trying to get folks to understand how a President in our fed government ain't a genuine National leader except regarding public dialogues and possible in war time. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps at times such as this, Gromnir sighs relief recognizing just how little the President qualifies as our "leader" in any meaningful sense.  our biggest obstacle when discussing US politics, particular with europeans and asians, is trying to get such folks to understand how much more limited is the National government o' the USA compared to what they know.  is an even bigger problem trying to get folks to understand how a President in our fed government ain't a genuine National leader except regarding public dialogues and possible in war time. 

Exactly why I get so angry when the President usurps the powers of the legislature and Congress does nothing. We NEED Congress to remember that is is a co-equal branch of the government. That is can and must be a check on the President even when, hell especially when, the President is in the majority party. Sadly there are no Arthur Vandenergs, Tip O'neils, or Newt Gingriches around these days.

Thomas Sowell