Politics Episode 7: Remake of Episode 4

"In sporting terms, this (UK) election is like May hiding in the locker rooms, whilst Corbyn and Abbott trip over their own laces and fail to score in the open goal."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I didn't watched closely on that hearing but from what is in that video Trump is actually pretty clean?

Not really. At best Trump showed massively inappropriate judgement in his interactions with Comey. At worst, he tried to get Comey to drop the Flynn investigation. He also appears to be a massively incompetent buffoon, but that's nothing new. Of course the whole handling of things by the Clintons with the matter/investigation word change was bafflingly stupid as well.

Basically, the defence on Trump's side is that Trump used the word "hope" when suggesting Comey drop the Flynn investigation. That's kind of akin to saying "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse" is fine because Vito Corleone used the word "offer".

Of course, it's nothing impeachable, especially given the fact that the congress is Republican, but the whole thing is still atrocious. More atrocious than everything else? Not really.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So, are people seeing the manipulation and SAME tactics from the media that we saw during the election still going on now Comey has said Trump was right and media wrong about the investigation?

Or are people gonna start acting like Trump supporters and start explaining away what Comey words or how he said the words "really mean instead"?

Trump being plainly and openly a hopeless idiot is a media tactic?

Also, I don't see how Trump being directly under investigation is particularly relevant to the discussion given what was already known. Russian interference in the election is under investigation, there are Trump associates who were caught lying about meeting with Russians, including Sessions, and Kushner. Trump tried to have Comey drop the Russia Investigation, and he fired Comey specifically because of that investigation, which everyone knows to be a fact because Trump himself said so, effectively exposing a lie of his own administration.

Basically, that Trump wasn't individually investigated by the FBI before the firing isn't all that important, given everything else already established, and after the manner in which Comey was fired, I'd be utterly amazed if Trump wasn't under investigation, now.

Heja Sverige!!

Trump being plainly and openly a hopeless idiot is a media tactic?

Also, I don't see how Trump being directly under investigation is particularly relevant to the discussion given what was already known. Russian interference in the election is under investigation, there are Trump associates who were caught lying about meeting with Russians, including Sessions, and Kushner. Trump tried to have Comey drop the Russia Investigation, and he fired Comey specifically because of that investigation, which everyone knows to be a fact because Trump himself said so, effectively exposing a lie of his own administration.

Basically, that Trump wasn't individually investigated by the FBI before the firing isn't all that important, given everything else already established, and after the manner in which Comey was fired, I'd be utterly amazed if Trump wasn't under investigation, now.

Imagine this if u will.

Take Trump, Obama, and other very important political figures around the world, and think and imagine that your view and everyone else's view and opinion on said persons is majority of what the media wants you to think and feel about said person. Imagine that the reason u like and dislike political figures is because the media wants you to like and dislike people.

What I'm talking about is we have heard soooooo much about Trump and Putin being in bed with each other from fake hookers, election being hacked (which it wasn't at all, seriously need to stop that horse) by Russians, Trump being investigated and hampering his own investigation and saying he was lying when he said many times he wasn't under investigation.

Look Trump's a piece of ****, but y'all don't realize that thats making the media job even easier to dislike or get nervous or bent outta shape even more than you should be.

• Like 1

Trump needs no help with being disliked. He has done very well at that for the past 30 years.

Heja Sverige!!

Trump needs no help with being disliked. He has done very well at that for the past 30 years.

well it says something about Hillary than as well...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That no one seems to be able to distinguish Trump from every sleazeball politician the US has ever had is something that continues to annoy me to no end. Trump is not like the Clintons, or the Bushes, or Obama, or Nixon, or Reagan or essentially any American politician you'd care to name.

The "Trump is like every other politician schtick" is a ghastly normalization of an amoral, incompetent human trash fire, who is the evil embodiment of all the ways in which vast amounts of money tip the scales in life. I wouldn't have trusted him with being an assistant manager at a fake McDonald's, much less President of a major country, or owner of a multimillion dollar company, or host of a major TV show.

Next to Trump Bill Clinton appears to be an ascetic monk, next to Trump Nixon seems like a dedicated public servant beyond reproach, next to Trump W. Bush seems a wise politician, next to Trump Dan Quayle is intelligent, next to Trump Hillary Clinton looks like a human.

Heja Sverige!!

I like Ryan's excusing Trump as if he's the new intern. Parties are great spinal removal tools. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, yeah, no argument there. The election last year was humiliating for everyone involved, from the voters to candidates, to the press.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

That no one seems to be able to distinguish Trump from every sleazeball politician the US has ever had is something that continues to annoy me to no end. Trump is not like the Clintons, or the Bushes, or Obama, or Nixon, or Reagan or essentially any American politician you'd care to name.

The "Trump is like every other politician schtick" is a ghastly normalization of an amoral, incompetent human trash fire, who is the evil embodiment of all the ways in which vast amounts of money tip the scales in life. I wouldn't have trusted him with being an assistant manager at a fake McDonald's, much less President of a major country, or owner of a multimillion dollar company, or host of a major TV show.

Next to Trump Bill Clinton appears to be an ascetic monk, next to Trump Nixon seems like a dedicated public servant beyond reproach, next to Trump W. Bush seems a wise politician, next to Trump Dan Quayle is intelligent, next to Trump Hillary Clinton looks like a human.

Are a religious person or is he just Satan to reason? 

As for the other paragraph, care elaborate how?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Trump Derangement Syndrome.

In other news, it looks like the conservatives in the UK may be in for a big loss tonight after calling for a snap election. Originally projected to win somewhere around 40-50 seats, they're now projected to lose about 20-15, which would cost them their majority, likely leading to another election. Will have to see how that turns out...

Right now it looks like Labor will form a coalition with the SNP and Corbyn will be PM. At the very least Labor picked up more seats than they had previously, and this is with the media ****ting on Corbyn for the past two years and his own party stabbing him in the back. Tories truly dun goofed.

I don't know if it means anything, but the Sky News news anchors seem to think the Conservatives making a coalition is more likely (although everyone seems to think Theresa May will resign regardless...which will mean an unelected PM, unless another election is immediately called for?), but you know, I don't know much about UK politics or if they're right.

PM has to be a member of parliament, so always elected. The voters don't vote for the PM, they vote for MP's who then elect the PM. 

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Are a religious person or is he just Satan to reason? 

As for the other paragraph, care elaborate how?

I'm not sure I'm parsing your reply right but, if I am, he and his route to power and success is kind of anathema to reason. I did think a bit about whether to use the word "evil", and I probably shouldn't have used it.

As for the last paragraph I thought it was plainly apparent. Trump has been quite evident in showing how much a sexist womanizer he is, how corrupt he is, how ignorant of the political process he is, and how dumb he is. His appearance and demeanor are of course plain for everyone to see.

Heja Sverige!!

More on Comey: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/8/james-comey-had-a-tough-day-on-capitol-hill/

And on May: https://order-order.com/2016/07/02/read-full-article-pulled-telegraph-pressure-may-campaign/

Bonus Cersei reference. I guess the British press is even more of a joke than ours is.

Edit: My favorite liberal, Jonathan Turley, says Comey broke FBI rules, may be the law: http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/06/08/turley-james-comey-damaged-goods-leaks-matter/

So Mister Phony Integrity knew the Obama DOJ Hillary investigation wasn't impartial, yet he never insisted that an independent counsel be appointed, or a Grand Jury empaneled, or else threaten to resign. Yet he was more than happy to leak to get an independent counsel appointed to investigate Trump, even though there were no criminal allegations against him. And also more than happy to act as a dupe to Obama/Lynch to exonerate Hillary, even though she clearly broke the law according to his own words.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Paul Ryan: "The president is new to government."

Translation: "He's not used to being called out on his bull****."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

More on Comey: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/8/james-comey-had-a-tough-day-on-capitol-hill/

And on May: https://order-order.com/2016/07/02/read-full-article-pulled-telegraph-pressure-may-campaign/

Bonus Cersei reference. I guess the British press is even more of a joke than ours is.

Edit: My favorite liberal, Jonathan Turley, says Comey broke FBI rules, may be the law: http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/06/08/turley-james-comey-damaged-goods-leaks-matter/

So Mister Phony Integrity knew the Obama DOJ Hillary investigation wasn't impartial, yet he never insisted that an independent counsel be appointed, or a Grand Jury empaneled, or else threaten to resign. Yet he was more than happy to leak to get an independent counsel appointed to investigate Trump, even though there were no criminal allegations against him. And also more than happy to act as a dupe to Obama/Lynch to exonerate Hillary, even though she clearly broke the law according to his own words.

gonna ignore the dozens o' other sources which is confident comey didn't do anything wrong by, as a private citizen, making non-classified info available to the public?  

*shrug*

is no prez privilege preventing release. heck president never claimed privilege and 'cause he spoke public 'bout the meetings in question, chances o' such privilege being invoked after the fact is nonexistent.

is kinda funny, but the fact comey let trump know he weren't being investigated likely helps comey regarding the memos.  comey made clear the memos were his personal impressions o' non classified info which he felt compelled to craft 'cause o' personal (and ultimate validated) fear o' future underhandedness by the wh.  if comey went home and wrote same memos in a personal diary there would be absolute no chance o' any kinda argument that his impressions o' meetings would be property o' the fbi.  private citizen releases personal impressions o' non classified info.  is not anything akin to endemic wh leaks problem where current members o' the executive is leaking info.  if any wh staff member gets fired tomorrow and decides to write a tell-all book, the first amendment will protect such scribblings save for classified info. wouldn't be leaks at such a point 'cause is private citizens.  duh.  if trump's lawyers and serial defenders is reduced to distinguishing the memos as fbi property v. comey personal reflections, then they is in trouble.  is more flimflammery.

humorous part is IF comey were actual investigating trump for criminal, then the memos would strong arguable be part o' the ongoing investigation o' the president.  would be difficulties release such memos to public.  but again, no investigation... not that comey ever claimed he were investigating the president.  

is all red herring nonsense anyway.  the meetings were inappropriate.  the demand for loyalty were inappropriate.  the attempt to get the fbi director to drop an investigation were wholly inappropriate.  'stead wanna argue over whether personal recollections written on a fbi laptop constitute fbi property?

wod special prosecutor query makes him sound a bit like mccain. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Loretta Lynch came out that show yesterday looking even worse than Trump did. It's enough to make you throw up your hands and yell out "they're all crooks"!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Loretta Lynch came out that show yesterday looking even worse than Trump did. It's enough to make you throw up your hands and yell out "they're all crooks"!

I read that as "throw up in your hands", at first.

Heja Sverige!!

Only one associate was caught lying about meeting Russians - Flynn. And he was fired.

Sessions and Kushner were as well, difference being that they didn't lie to Pence who repeated the lie publicly, only on their clearance application (and senate hearing for Sessions?). Though how many transition teams have had similar contact and nobody cared is a very open question, I suspect rather a lot given the nature of transitions.

PM has to be a member of parliament, so always elected. The voters don't vote for the PM, they vote for MP's who then elect the PM. 

Yes, a PM who has not been through and won an election is regarded as being less legitimate than a leader who has been through that process but it isn't usually a prompt to call an election. But that slight whiff of illegitimacy is certainly part of why May called the election early (though it was mostly because she expected to win well). The loss of legitimacy is also certainly not enough to force an election on any May successor, though there are usually a few by-elections in a parliamentary term due to deaths or other circumstance changes. If the Tories lose a couple of seats that way then governing may be unworkable.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1