Starfield: Bethesda's New Sci-Fi RPG To Challenge BioWare's Mass Effect

Link: Fallout And Skyrim Publisher Bethesda Rumored To Be Bringing Sci-Fi RPG Starfield To E3

I hope it's true - because Mass Effect currently has a monopoly in the space sci-fi single-player RPG genre. BioWare certainly needs a tough competition in the genre. Bethesda will pose a direct competition, which will pressure BioWare into getting its act together.

Edited by ktchong

Maybe I will appreciate it as an exploration game, but I'm not expecting a good story or good writing. It could be a fun sandbox to mess around in. As long as this means that they leave Fallout alone, I am pleased.

• Like 3

I have a feeling that even if it was true, it would be VERY bad.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's just Bethesda isn't the type of company to take "risks" and making a sci-fi rpg would be an overly risky move - even if people would appreciate the idea, appreciating the final product is a different thing altogether. For example, all the changes that Bethesda made to Fallout 4 were pretty much requested by the community but when he product released was only recieved well by half of them maybe.

If they announced anything new at E3, it would probably be something about Fallout 4. I think would would be better off is if they announced a collaborative project eirh Obsidian... perhaps Fallout: Nuked Orleans or anything Fallout really with Obsidian doing the writing of course.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

It's just Bethesda isn't the type of company to take "risks" and making a sci-fi rpg would be an overly risky move - even if people would appreciate the idea, appreciating the final product is a different thing altogether. For example, all the changes that Bethesda made to Fallout 4 were pretty much requested by the community but when he product released was only recieved well by half of them maybe.

If they announced anything new at E3, it would probably be something about Fallout 4. I think would would be better off is if they announced a collaborative project eirh Obsidian... perhaps Fallout: Nuked Orleans or anything Fallout really with Obsidian doing the writing of course.

To be fair Bethesda took a risk when publishing Fallout 3, especially given the reactions of fanatic Fallout fans.

Edited by Belle Sorciere
  • Like 2

To be fair Bethesda took a risk when publishing Fallout 3, especially given the reactions of fanatic Fallout fans.

True.

No longer interested in sandbox gaming. Though if such a game exists, Bethesda could pull off that isolated, sterile feel of sci fi if they pulled back from much story telling altogether and left more to the imagination, like in Morrowind. Even if they managed that, it still wouldn't be much up my alley these days. Obviously that'd change if Obsidian were involved...

fake news

What are you talking about man? It's a rumour from 4chan, they'd never lie.

4chan is the last bastion of everything that is good and pure in the internet. I'm sure Starfield will be great.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm not so sure if it's that risky. The indie market is currently full of space exploration games and procedurally generated planets or similar concepts. No Man's Sky isn't alone anymore, after all. It's a little trend Bethesda would be picking up with a AAA game, if the rumors were true. That in a mix with the usual Bethesda formula isn't really a risk anymore, imho.

Well, MEA's story was pretty poor and relied on the "open world" feel to carry it.  So I guess if that's the game they're trying to compete with, Bethesda will have them beat (sandbox is something Bethesda does much better than BioWare).

If this is Bethesda's attempt to match the original ME trilogy that was built more on story and characters (to whatever degree you believe they achieved this), then good luck.  Bethesda's never been great at building a good story or depth in their companions.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It might work if they used multiple different scales of overland maps with localized points of interest. A true open world seems impractical without resorting to near 100% random generation, and likely wouldn't provide a very interesting cRPG.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, MEA's story was pretty poor and relied on the "open world" feel to carry it.  So I guess if that's the game they're trying to compete with, Bethesda will have them beat (sandbox is something Bethesda does much better than BioWare).

If this is Bethesda's attempt to match the original ME trilogy that was built more on story and characters (to whatever degree you believe they achieved this), then good luck.  Bethesda's never been great at building a good story or depth in their companions.

I agree which is also why I said what I said.

It'd be "neat" to see a sci-fi take by Bethesda Games. But I've more or less put the studio on ice ever since Skyrim.

Would this end up as just another Elder-like? FO is basically just vats slapped ontop of The Elder Scrolls. I'd much prefer a custom gameset for whatever neat setting they want to explore. Which brings me to my next point. I don't think I can play another Elder Scrolls if it's just built on a rebranded gamebryo. I don't like the mods that much.

Edited by injurai