We are all experts

Hurlshort

I thought I'd follow up a bit on a thread that was happening in the funny things thread:

Sharp_One posted an image of terrorist attacks in Europe. I noticed an island of the coast of Italy that was covered in red spots, and that sparked my interest. I couldn't figure out if it was Sardinia or Corsica, so I looked on google maps. Once I knew it was Corsica, I typed in Corsican Terrorism and learned a little bit about something called the National Liberation Front as well as some stories about Muslims in Corsica. I did this while helping my daughter with her homework and playing Elder Scrolls Online and reading over stuff on my phone (and at one point making sure my son pooped. It's a long story, but it ends with him not completing that quest.) Yay for multi-tasking! But really, skimming over a few pieces of information on the internet did not make me feel well-versed on the situation in Corsica, so I posed this question to the forum:

So is Corsica just constantly under attack or something?

It was a bit tongue in cheek, since everyone else was poking fun at the map and I wanted to get in on that. But it was also a legitimate query because we have a number of European posters here and the odds are they will have a better grasp of the situation then I can be expected to get from a wikipedia article. That's actually one of the beautiful things here, we tend to have people from all over the world that can answer rather obscure questions about all sorts of things. Anyways, I was fairly certain that someone would rise to the occasion and fill me in on the situation, and Amentep did not let me down with his clip from the Corsican brothers. Well played sir!

I am not sure why I felt the need to write this up, but I figured I'd journal the thought process that goes on sometimes when I post. Right now I'm finishing my breakfast and have put myself about 10 minutes late to get out the door for work. Yikes!

• Like 6

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I tried to find more info on the issue by searching for recent news about it, but failed pretty miserably. :(

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I am not sure why I felt the need to write this up, but I figured I'd journal the thought process that goes on sometimes when I post. Right now I'm finishing my breakfast and have put myself about 10 minutes late to get out the door for work. Yikes!

Nothing unusual about giving a forum like this a well deserved and honest compliment 

I wish you guys did this more often, there are many members who provide extremely useful and insightful answers on a wide range of topics. And yes Amentep is one of them, he is one of the few members who has way to make me realize I may be wrong because of his logic and reasonable way of debating

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

.. and Amentep did not let me down with his clip from the Corsican brothers. Well played sir!

Given the title, I feel forced to confess to not actually being an expert on Cheech and Chong films.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

.. and Amentep did not let me down with his clip from the Corsican brothers. Well played sir!

Given the title, I feel forced to confess to not actually being an expert on Cheech and Chong films.

HERESY!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I suffer in silent shame no more, at least.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Corsica is the second largest gate of immigrants from Libia after Sicily; and since Corsica is considered a (semi autonomous i think) part of France (that is responsible for the civil war raging in Libia since the death of Qaddafi) the extremists see it as an easy target for a quick rehearsal before going north

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.