PC version of Pillars not recognized by Steam

I recently purchased a copy of Pillars of Eternity off of Amazon.  I love the game by the way and am now trying to buy the expansions.  The problem I'm having is the PC version I bought came with CDs but no CD key (I assume this is normal as the packaging looked legit, it was sealed and the game worked).  It appears that the expansions are fully on Steam i.e. no disks but my retail version is not recognized by Steam and Steam will not sell me the expansions without it.  I've tried contacting Steam to no avail about getting my copy recognized.  They say without a CD key there is nothing they can do.  How do I get CD keys or Steam to acknowledge the game without having to buy another copy?

• Like 1

I have to believe I am not the first person to have this problem.  Is it a known issue that the hardcopy game is not recognized by Steam or and in order to get the expansions you have no choice but to buy a second copy?  Or am I just not doing something right with Steam?

Hey El_Diabolic!

Back during the Kickstarter campaign for Pillars of Eternity, users who received a physical dvd copy of the game, also received a digital key for Steam or GOG. Unfortunately since you purchased the game from Amazon, it will not be accompanied by a digital key, so you will have to repurchase the game if you want to get the DLC content.

You always have the option for backing Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire and get the Complete Pillars Bundle on the Backer Portal, where you can get Pillars 1 and The White March DLC, along with Pillars II when it is released. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Aarik