PC/Mac Release Date: June 15!

The PC, Mac, and mobile versions of the game all share a single player account, though, so you can link your content across all your devices (though purchase of the PC version is required).

So I just want to clarify. Since I paid the $25 for the Rise of the Runelords content on the mobile app, then I still need to pay $24.99 to purchase the PC version to play that content on my computer.

If I had not done so, I could pay $25 for the equivalent of the free to play options of the mobile app, or $40 for all of the content including what I currently have on mobile.

So people buying it on PC are basically getting what I paid $25 for on mobile for $15 (plus some goodies that are unclear whether they will carry over to the mobile experience from the PC version), AND are getting the benefit of all of the content being available at once, instead of the slow dribs and drabs that the early adopters had?

I feel like this is kind of an (avoidable) slap in the face to the people who funded the development of the mobile app and its content by paying for this content back when it hadn't even been developed yet. Basically, our money was used to fund the development of the content for the PC folks (which doesn't cost much at this point aside from making some tweaks visually I'd guess), and it's the PC buyers who get the discounted rate?

How about you guys consider making an unlock of the PC version for people who have bought all the content discounted so that the price is fair?

Otherwise, people who handed you money a year ago on faith for a then-broken product that wasn't close to being completed (and willfully did so knowing that the content would be added "over the course of time") are paying significantly more than folks who are just hopping in now. 

That's not a way to encourage long-term customer relationships. 

OR, if you want to cite issues with the Steam model as a reason why you can't discount the software, give people who own the mobile version a code redeemable either for gold OR a discount on the next set of content - assuming you intend to release Skulls & Shackles or Wrath of the Righteous at some point.

The PC, Mac, and mobile versions of the game all share a single player account, though, so you can link your content across all your devices (though purchase of the PC version is required).

So I just want to clarify. Since I paid the $25 for the Rise of the Runelords content on the mobile app, then I still need to pay $24.99 to purchase the PC version to play that content on my computer.

If I had not done so, I could pay $25 for the equivalent of the free to play options of the mobile app, or $40 for all of the content including what I currently have on mobile.

So people buying it on PC are basically getting what I paid $25 for on mobile for $15 (plus some goodies that are unclear whether they will carry over to the mobile experience from the PC version), AND are getting the benefit of all of the content being available at once, instead of the slow dribs and drabs that the early adopters had?

I feel like this is kind of an (avoidable) slap in the face to the people who funded the development of the mobile app and its content by paying for this content back when it hadn't even been developed yet. Basically, our money was used to fund the development of the content for the PC folks (which doesn't cost much at this point aside from making some tweaks visually I'd guess), and it's the PC buyers who get the discounted rate?

How about you guys consider making an unlock of the PC version for people who have bought all the content discounted so that the price is fair?

Otherwise, people who handed you money a year ago on faith for a then-broken product that wasn't close to being completed (and willfully did so knowing that the content would be added "over the course of time") are paying significantly more than folks who are just hopping in now. 

OR, if you want to cite issues with the Steam model as a reason why you can't discount the software, give people who own the mobile version a code redeemable either for gold OR a discount on the next set of content - assuming you intend to release Skulls & Shackles or Wrath of the Righteous at some point.

Oh wait, wow

I asked my last question because i assumed we were getting it on PC for already purchasing it on mobile. If we have to re-buy all the content for PC that is definitely disappointing. It's a real slap to the face for us who bought it early and gave a lot of the feedback (I know I posted several bugs) 

I really hope that's a mistake and we won't be expected to re-buy the game. 

It is my understanding based on the information we have, that once Pathfinder Adventures is released on Steam, I can continue to play the iOS version with all the content I have already paid for.

To play the Steam version, I will need to pay $24.99 (or whatever the price is here in Australia), as the Steam version is not free.  Once I pay for and install the Steam version, it is my expectation that I will be able to link my account, so that all the content I have already purchased will be available to me.

I expect that I will still need to pay for new content, such as the Rise of the Goblins expansion.

Based on this I am undecided if I will purchase the Steam version. 

Oh wait, wow

I asked my last question because i assumed we were getting it on PC for already purchasing it on mobile. If we have to re-buy all the content for PC that is definitely disappointing. It's a real slap to the face for us who bought it early and gave a lot of the feedback (I know I posted several bugs) 

I really hope that's a mistake and we won't be expected to re-buy the game. 

My understanding is that we won't have to buy the content; we'll have to buy the platform however. End result is the same though - we have to pay more money to access the content we already paid for on the PC instead of mobile, while people who buy the content on PC get it for free on mobile. 

So the question becomes whether I give an extra $25 to be able to play it on PC, or just stick with iOS. Leaning towards the latter if they don't make an accommodation for their paid "beta testers" who absorbed slow content all last year.

Here is some more info:

http://discourse.statelyplay.com/t/pathfinder-adventures-moving-to-pc-mac-in-2-weeks/575

.the mobile version will remain free-to-play and offer the first three scenarios with the option to get the season pass and unlock the rest of the scenarios. The PC version will release at $24.99 for the base game, which contains all of the scenarios, plus some extras in a single package.

The Obsidian Edition will give all of the alt character skins, ally cards featuring characters from our hit RPG, Pillars of Eternity, dice, and other in-game rewards, as well as free access to all DLC and future DLC for $39.99. The PC, Mac, and mobile versions of the game all share a single player account, though, so you can link your content across all your devices (though purchase of the PC version is required). If you own content on PC, you can open up Pathfinder Adventures on mobile and it'll be there too and vice versa.

• Like 2

Here is some more info:

http://discourse.statelyplay.com/t/pathfinder-adventures-moving-to-pc-mac-in-2-weeks/575

.the mobile version will remain free-to-play and offer the first three scenarios with the option to get the season pass and unlock the rest of the scenarios. The PC version will release at $24.99 for the base game, which contains all of the scenarios, plus some extras in a single package.

The Obsidian Edition will give all of the alt character skins, ally cards featuring characters from our hit RPG, Pillars of Eternity, dice, and other in-game rewards, as well as free access to all DLC and future DLC for $39.99. The PC, Mac, and mobile versions of the game all share a single player account, though, so you can link your content across all your devices (though purchase of the PC version is required). If you own content on PC, you can open up Pathfinder Adventures on mobile and it'll be there too and vice versa.

What, no characters from Tyranny?

Well, I guess Tyranny belongs a bit too much to Paradox to include any characters.

The trailer had me thinking, where's the Wounding Spear-Axe in my Rise of the Runelords box?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

The Obsidian Edition providing 'all future DLC' makes me somewhat concerned for the longevity of the game, as it implies to me they, for example, have no intent of adding in the full additional sets (Skulls & Shackles, etc) and building into a full digital platform for the entirety of the PACG. Of course, whether they would have or not was entirely up to how successful the digital version went, and what Paizo wanted out of Obsidian, but at this rate unless they released the adventures as different games that seems... less than likely, since it likely wouldn't be a fraction as profitable as Rise of the Runelords.

Also, I'm waiting for the full details on the pricing for people with accounts... but if you own all of the content (or effectively all) on the mobile device, whether earned in-game or purchased with real currency... do you really need to spend that all again to play on PC?

That feels... really off to me. I dramatically prefer playing on PC to tablet, but if I'm getting no additional content but paying $25 for the privilege I don't really see how I can justify it. I already own all of the adventures, all of the characters, some of the alt-skins, over 90 odd treasure chest purchases and a bunch of dice solely from about $10, a lot of grinding, and a code. Should I pay 250% more for... nothing?

Hmmm...

We have to wait the release to see...

All normal programs you have to buy separately to each platform. Like if you have Adobe Photoshop in pc you have to buy it separately to Mac or mobile devices. But in this case the Obsidian did say originally in some far away post that you don't have to buy the game separately to each platforms. So let us see how They handle the situation. Both ways have merit.

1) buy separately: this is how it work in all other programs. Also because the mobile has been free to play, it allows Obsidian collect some money and maybe then make some new content to this game.

2) follow the original plan and allow you to buy content in one platform and allow it in all other platforms too: More "fair" to those who did buy the mobile version, but does not give Funds to make any new content to the game. Also allows completely free to play essentially in all platforms. So PC would Also be actually full free to play because you could just start free to play in mobile and then go to Steam and get averything free... not good for any new adventures.

3) some other solution. (Like if you did allready buy the full content you get steam, but not if you did the free to play route) or even something more different. All in all the most complex way of handling the situation, so it would require a quite a lot work.

But we all will be wiser in 15th. The Steam release has been eagerly waited by Many people. So the releasing it is good thing as a whole in anyway, in spite of how the transfer in handled.

Go Goblins Go!

;)

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Yeah re-buying doesn't appeal to me at all, especially since people who buy the steam version will get it on moble for free kinda invalidates the whole 'you have to pay for each platform'. They can track who paid for it and who unlocked everything for free so that isn't a good excuse either. 

I feel like the fact they are changing thier pricing system is what is making them go back on the whole 'buy and it's unlocked for each platform' but then again I don't know if they specific ever said pc was included in it. 

Unless there's some discount or some reward for purchasing on ios though I won't buy it on steam and won't support the game further. 

I just also realized from the trailer; you can't actually defeat Black Magga in the scenario normally.  Oh, Obsidian and your easter eggs.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

I just also realized from the trailer; you can't actually defeat Black Magga in the scenario normally.  Oh, Obsidian and your easter eggs.

Speaking of easter eggs... at the end of the trailer, the computer they show is an image-flipped Apple II.  I wonder if that is supposed to mean something....?

Answer: No, it probably does not..   :p

Hmmm...

We have to wait the release to see...

All normal programs you have to buy separately to each platform. Like if you have Adobe Photoshop in pc you have to buy it separately to Mac or mobile devices. But in this case the Obsidian did say originally in some far away post that you don't have to buy the game separately to each platforms. So let us see how They handle the situation. Both ways have merit.

1) buy separately: this is how it work in all other programs. Also because the mobile has been free to play, it allows Obsidian collect some money and maybe then make some new content to this game.

The oddity here is that they're selling a game that they were already (and are continuing) to give away for free on a different device. Pathfinder Adventure used the free to play with microtransactions model, a model that, traditionally, assumes cross-platform support and continuance when release on different devices. For example; Digital card games (which are a similar genre), including Eternal, Hearthstone, Solforge, Elder Scrolls Legends, Star Realms, Shadow Era and a number of other titles that exist both on Steam and on mobile devices, all with the same payment model, all allowing login via the same account, and all sharing account progression.

If the game already cost a certain amount, and you had to re-buy it on Steam, that'd make a certain degree more sense, though that raises new problems. Notably, mobile games typically do better with microtransaction systems on free games, whereas traditional game purchases/selling costs historically do quite poorly (as a single data point: XCOM Enemy Unknown on Tablets - almost the same as the PC game, portable, about a quarter to a fifth of the price, and overall still pretty mediocre sales). It's a lose-lose situation. Charge on mobile and you risk mobile sales. Give it away for free on mobile and you risk PC sales (because, again, you're asking people to spend $25 - a LOT more than a lot of fantastic indie games already on the market, let alone Steam Sale titles at any given point in time) when buyers know they can get almost the same content for free.

I feel that they should have left the free to play model as already exists for the Steam/GOG release, and look into alternative or more extended options for microtransactions to continue financing the title, avoiding this awkward situation. But, I'm not a business analyst (at least not in this field...), nor do I have any knowledge as to the overall finances behind the production and marketing of this title.

Either way. The promise of "get all future DLC forever with this pack", combined with the sudden large up-front cost for... well, no content, effectively (because, again, it's actually all free on the tablet/mobile version), has led me strongly to the assumption that the intent is to release one to three large new batches of content, then cease development on the game. If long-term support was on the table (read: Further adventure paths), they wouldn't offer the Obsidian package like they have, and the up-front cost strikes me as something that may simply be there to hopefully get enough people to buy to recoup losses in a short period of time, regardless of the longer term issues of having two simultaneous, identical games, one for $0 and one for $25.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong, and looking forward to more details. That said, if there isn't really any benefit to using the PC version (automatically getting some content that I already own or could buy with gold on the tablet version doesn't count), then I suspect most of the Steam reviews will just be "Not recommended" saying "Great game, but want to know how to get it on sale for 100% off? Install it on your mobile device". Unless more news comes out to clarify otherwise how this works, that'll certainly be my honest review.

• Like 1

I will say it is dissapointing for someone who paid $24.99 for everything on mobile, I have to pay it again on PC. But PC first time buyers will get everything on all three platforms. So basically I'm paying double what someone that's going in for the first time on PC is paying. 

I get why, need to actually fund development and feed people and pay rent, but it does seems slightly unfair. Maybe just throw us some sort of bone even if it's something small.

EDIT: I'll buy it anyway.. so yeah.. there's that. :)

Edited by hfm
  • Like 1

This news is really upsetting to me. I only just heard about this game recently when they announced the PC version. All of the news articles I read said content would link between the Mobile and PC versions so I decided "why wait" and bought the full ROTR pack. Now I'm being told that I have to re-buy all of that content to play on the PC. BUT WORSE, If I had waited to buy on the PC first I would have gotten that content on mobile for free. This make no sense! I feel like I just threw away $25 basised on bad faith advertising. 

I'm liking the game, but I'm starting to feel really cheated here.

Interesting Factoid: My profile picture depicts Belafa cosplaying as Ballos.

This news is really upsetting to me. I only just heard about this game recently when they announced the PC version. All of the news articles I read said content would link between the Mobile and PC versions so I decided "why wait" and bought the full ROTR pack. Now I'm being told that I have to re-buy all of that content to play on the PC. BUT WORSE, If I had waited to buy on the PC first I would have gotten that content on mobile for free. This make no sense! I feel like I just threw away $25 basised on bad faith advertising. 

The quote below is from Flounder on page one of this topic:

"I'll go into more details in the upcoming blog but yes, everything you bought on the mobile will be available on PC once you merge/sync your PlayFab accounts."

• Like 1

"I'll go into more details in the upcoming blog but yes, everything you bought on the mobile will be available on PC once you merge/sync your PlayFab accounts."

I hope you're right. His earlier quote made it sound pretty definitive that we would have to buy the game again (which appears to only contain content already included in the ROTR pack if we don't buy the Obsidian Pack/Pass thing).

Interesting Factoid: My profile picture depicts Belafa cosplaying as Ballos.

Seems like a good thing to ask at the dev stream tomorrow!

Also - regardless of how the new account thing works, I'll buy the game again on PC. I've bought rotr and daily gold since release on iOS and Android, because I want you guys to keep making stuff to consume!

• Like 1

Quoting the post that's right above the one you cherry picked to quote:

You have to buy it on PC/Mac but Mobile is still free to play.

When they say "everything you bought" they are not talking about AD 1-6 plus the character addon. They are talking about cards you've gotten through chests, dice, new chars, etc.. From what I've read, you have to spend $24.99 to own the PC version of the game. There's no free download of it that you can just log in with and get everything you have from your mobile purchase.

• Like 1

When they say "everything you bought" they are not talking about AD 1-6 plus the character addon. They are talking about cards you've gotten through chests, dice, new chars, etc.. From what I've read, you have to spend $24.99 to own the PC version of the game. There's no free download of it that you can just log in with and get everything you have from your mobile purchase.

I think that is the likeliest summary of how things will work.

Personally, I'm not against paying for a PC version of Pathfinder, but I can see how it is a little irksome to early adopters that they can't go cross-platform for free while the reverse is true for purchasers on GOG/Steam.  However, my additional thoughts are:

1. The mobile version was stupendously generous in that it was truly a free-to-play app that didn't require any money or even forced ads reach the end.  To unlock the game, you just had to play it a lot.

2. Going non-free will help the financial viability of the app.  Updates, content, and potential new Adventure Paths aren't going to be funded by Pathfinder in-game Gold.  I don't know how the game can be profitable if it continues being free on all platforms.

3. Lots of people played for free over the last year, and many have probably moved on to other games.  It might sting a little to be an OG Adventurer, but I can't help but feel that those of us looking to platform-up may be in the minority.  The decision seems good for the overall health of digital Pathfinder Adventures even if it isn't that great for players that bought the bundle on mobile.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Personally, I'm not against paying for a PC version of Pathfinder, but I can see how it is a little irksome to early adopters that they can't go cross-platform for free while the reverse is true for purchasers on GOG/Steam.  However, my additional thoughts are:

1. The mobile version was stupendously generous in that it was truly a free-to-play app that didn't require any money or even forced ads reach the end.  To unlock the game, you just had to play it a lot.

2. Going non-free will help the financial viability of the app.  Updates, content, and potential new Adventure Paths aren't going to be funded by Pathfinder in-game Gold.  I don't know how the game can be profitable if it continues being free on all platforms.

3. Lots of people played for free over the last year, and many have probably moved on to other games.  It might sting a little to be an OG Adventurer, but I can't help but feel that those of us looking to platform-up may be in the minority.  The decision seems good for the overall health of digital Pathfinder Adventures even if it isn't that great for players that bought the bundle on mobile.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but what I get out of the "You have to buy it on PC/Mac but Mobile is still free to play." statement is that the PC/Mac version will not have FTP ... it must be purchased.  Hopefully this can be cleared up.  Personally, I'm glad they are releasing the PC/Mac versions, but none of the updates appeal to me at all and I have no interest in the Goblin stuff.  Now Seasons of the Runelords organized play Adventure Path would be a whole different story!  

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but what I get out of the "You have to buy it on PC/Mac but Mobile is still free to play." statement is that the PC/Mac version will not have FTP ... it must be purchased.  Hopefully this can be cleared up.  Personally, I'm glad they are releasing the PC/Mac versions, but none of the updates appeal to me at all and I have no interest in the Goblin stuff.  Now Seasons of the Runelords organized play Adventure Path would be a whole different story!  

Agreed.. I mean lets make no mistake I'm going to buy it on Steam regardless when it launches.

I agree with much of what you say here. I haven't paid a penny for the PACG content that I played. However, if I had paid real money for it, I would have felt cheated and would likely have abandoned the game early because of the atrocious quality of the product. I believe that I've paid far more than $24.99 for my copy of PACG through the hours and hours of unpaid bug reporting that I have done. I felt obliged to do this as a form of  paying back, I likely wouldn't have done it if I had paid for my content. But now that I - and others like me - have done our best to get the game to the point where it's (presumably) playable as a commercial release on the PC platform, we are "locked in" to our original platform (regardless of whether that was our platform of choice) unless we buy it on that platform (in some cases that's "buy it again"). I guess I'm just a little miffed at the lack of recognition that the "extended beta" community has received. If I continue to play at all once Quest Mode has gone, I guess it'll still be via an Android emulator on my PC.