Savegames gone

Rabenrecht

Question

Problem: I can't find the PoE savegames on my old system

I've completely renewed my system. My old hard disks are still there, but I've reinstalled Steam and PoE in this new system environment.

Since I haven't deleted anything I should find my old PoE savegames and transfer them to the new installation.

Except, they are not to be found. They should be under UserName/SavedGames/PillarOfEternity but this folder does not exist.

I did manage to find something in a temp folder: a folder called "TmpSaveData" and a zip file named "loadedSave"

The folder contains character pictures, a  mini-screenshot and a file called "saveinfo"

Judging from the character pictures, this from a very old character from mine.

More interessting is the zip archive. It contains a lot of file inlcuding character pictures and a screenshot. From those this seems to be a very recent game state.

I've no idea why my old saves are gone. I had the same problem with another game so I don't think this issue is a problem with PoE itself.

My question is now: can the "loadedSave" zip be converted into a save game that the game can load?

This is very important to me since I was already 60 hours into the game and if I can't pick up my old save I will probably not restart the game from the beginning. In short: I will either play PoE from my old save or not at all.

4 answers to this question

If the "loadedSave" zip archive contains a "saveinfo.xml" file, open that file and copy the value defined for the SessionID tag. It's some long hexadecimal stuff such as: 413a362c-7d12-18d2-a348-1e932ddbf4dc

Rename "loadedSave.zip" and prepend that value to it, such as "413a362c-7d12-18d2-a348-1e932ddbf4dc quicksave.savegame" - copy the resulting file to your user's \Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\ folder.

I have a similar issue...I keep changing the read only file box only to have it be clicked again when I try to start...how can I fix this...I deleted and re-installed POE and it worked for a while now it is back to doing it again...One thing I noted...everything was fine then the game crashed and I was back to the read only problem again...need help

I have a similar issue...I keep changing the read only file box only to have it be clicked again when I try to start...how can I fix this...I deleted and re-installed POE and it worked for a while now it is back to doing it again...One thing I noted...everything was fine then the game crashed and I was back to the read only problem again...need help

Windows 10? Then you need to reconfigure it properly, so it doesn't mess with your folders. In either case, it's not an issue caused by the game, and reinstalling the game doesn't fix such an issue.

I have two issues with your response...1) exactly "how" do I reconfigure it, and "what" am I to reconfigure??? 2) Uninstalling and reinstalling actually "has" corrected the issue, if only temporarily as I have not exited out of the game...your response was no help...clearly this is an issue as I am not the only one with it...if it is purely a Windows 10 issue, it is an issue with "your" game...so help us fix, or correct it instead of being condescending...