How controversial would a teen show or novel with this plot be?

A teen transfers to this high income area school. He is Caucasian and comes from a middle class politically center left military family. His father is a fighter pilot who supports Bernie Sanders. He is really idealistic, intelligent, and athletic. His character is inspired by Captain America, Commander Shepard, Babylon 5's John Sheridan, and Ender Wiggin. He is a member of a military cadet program like JROTC that meets off campus. There is a presidential election going on with candidates similar to Clinton and Trump. He speaks out against the Trump like candidate but stops short of supporting the Clinton like candidate. The popular students and even some of the faculty terrorize the American Muslim students with the rest of the student body and rest of the teachers either too scared or too apathetic to do something. Our brave military cadet sees a group of male jocks and preps telling a minority student to go back to their county. He stands up to them and wins. He tells them we are all Americans. Our brave military cadet inspires the school and rest of the teachers to fight against the bullying and in the end the bullies lose their power. The bullies are taught to fear the might of American unity and patriotism.

tumblr_lqaeripwxs1qiywj9o1_500.jpg

After graduation he gets an appointment to Westpoint and is chosen to be part of an elite military unit. His actions in a combat zone earns him the Medal of Honor.

• Like 1

A teen transfers to this high income area school. He is Caucasian and comes from a middle class politically center left military family. His father is a fighter pilot who supports Bernie Sanders. He is really idealistic, intelligent, and athletic. His character is inspired by Captain America, Commander Shepard, Babylon 5's John Sheridan, and Ender Wiggin. He is a member of a military cadet program like JROTC that meets off campus. There is a presidential election going on with candidates similar to Clinton and Trump. He speaks out against the Trump like candidate but stops short of supporting the Clinton like candidate. The popular students and even some of the faculty terrorize the American Muslim students with the rest of the student body and rest of the teachers either too scared or too apathetic to do something. Our brave military cadet sees a group of male jocks and preps telling a minority student to go back to their county. He stands up to them and wins. He tells them we are all Americans. Our brave military cadet inspires the school and rest of the teachers to fight against the bullying and in the end the bullies lose their power. The bullies are taught to fear the might of American unity and patriotism.

After graduation he gets an appointment to Westpoint and is chosen to be part of an elite military unit. His actions in a combat zone earns him the Medal of Honor.

It could work, the plot basically being " white person defends fellow Muslim students from bigotry ". The fact it's a military theme is just cosmetics

So yes the plot has logic and  will appeal to some. Personally I wouldnt watch it as for me its a cliche, I would rather  watch a movie situated in the ME   about someone who addresses the numerous societal ills, legal inconsistencies  and human rights concerns  in a school

That would be a much more meaningful view of the reality of  social injustice that exists in most countries under Sharia law

So in summary the real bigotry is not from schools in Western countries but comes from countries that are not Western and dont have our views on human rights 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Have to agree with Bruce, the shows with a very inclusive, politically correct and/or 'socially conscious' aspect to them are dime a dozen in today's standards. It would perhaps fire up a storm based on bringing real-life political figures into the mix, but based on the premise I don't think any controversy would be particularly warranted. It's also not something I'd watch, to be honest - the premise just seems very preachy.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Fallout 2

No need to make a fictional story, the guy is already president.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The controversy part would be when the said muslim starts a shooting in school kills everyboy except the protagonist.

The scene would be the protagonist holding his dead friend/girlfriend and muslim pointing a gun at him. Nuslim says: "Thank you. You made all this possible for me."

And walks away.

This made me laugh, its cynical and I shouldnt laugh but it still made me laugh  :biggrin:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You know that the beauty of fiction is that you can demonstrate an idea or scenario without having to use real life people or political figures? I mean, unless you specifically want to use controversy to generate sales, why not figure out the concept you want to express and create a fictional universe where you can do so freely?

Edited by Heijoushin

Typical white boy hero kid tv show. No thanks. The only thing controversial about it would be the bad writing. :>

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So Romper Stomper by Disney? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Plot Twist: the "combat zone" where protagonist earns his MoH is actually Wolf Point, Montana.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Heathers for the modern age.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The controversy part would be when the said muslim starts a shooting in school kills everyboy except the protagonist.

The scene would be the protagonist holding his dead friend/girlfriend and muslim pointing a gun at him. Nuslim says: "Thank you. You made all this possible for me."
And walks away."

Controversy? That would never get on tv and if it did there would be blood curling screamns from SJW Nazis. And, I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It'd never get greenlit. Do you have a succinct pitch that focuses on something interesting and unique? What's the target audience?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."