So any more advice on Aloth Talent, I'm really hesitating on this one. I thought penetrating blast would be nice but seing there so many options I'm still unsure how to level him.

There are a bunch of good choices.

Look at your own play style -- how you use Aloth, or how much extra micro you want to do -- and pick a talent based on that.

Penetrating Blast is a decent benefit for a low micro playstyle.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not played the game for sometime already, due to special circumstance. I will now get back to it. Still unsure how to build Aloth - wich talent to select. I've made up my mind on Durance as per the previous messages, but after reading others forum Penetrating blast do not seem very popular.

Any more advice from others players.

Thanks.

I have not played the game for sometime already, due to special circumstance. I will now get back to it. Still unsure how to build Aloth - wich talent to select. I've made up my mind on Durance as per the previous messages, but after reading others forum Penetrating blast do not seem very popular.

I'd say that Blast and Penetrating Blast are a must for ranged wizard with decent MIG/DEX/INT. Just make sure to not equip Rods (because they are slower than wands and sceptres; unless it's Golden Gaze which fires two projectiles at once). The thing is that such a wizard can easily compete with a barbarian in party in terms of total damage done (until the last one gets HoF).

Penetrating Blast is probably unworthy only on cc wizard with completely dumped Might. Such wizzy could either wield 1h+shield (and thus no blasts at all) or go for Gyrd Háewanes Sténes or Rod of Pale Shades, and passively dominate/stun stuff.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I'd say that Blast and Penetrating Blast are a must for ranged wizard with decent MIG/DEX/INT. Just make sure to not equip Rods (because they are slower than wands and sceptres; unless it's Golden Gaze which fires two projectiles at once). The thing is that such a wizard can easily compete with a barbarian in party in terms of total damage done (until the last one gets HoF).

Penetrating Blast is probably unworthy only on cc wizard with completely dumped Might. Such wizzy could either wield 1h+shield (and thus no blasts at all) or go for Gyrd Háewanes Sténes or Rod of Pale Shades, and passively dominate/stun stuff.

Thanks for the input. The wizard being Aloth, wich he already had blast, I thought it would make sense to upgrade his ability. I pefer using wand and scepter also with him. I also want Aloth to have some CC and some magical damage so I'm trying to mix both, so far so good as the game progress. I like his damage spells. (normal difficulty)

It's just that there are so many talents, it's hard for me to make a decision considering I will probably play the game only 1 playtrought because I do not have the time to play more, so I'm trying to make the best out of my decisions.

Thanks for the input. The wizard being Aloth, wich he already had blast, I thought it would make sense to upgrade his ability. I pefer using wand and scepter also with him. I also want Aloth to have some CC and some magical damage so I'm trying to mix both, so far so good as the game progress. I like his damage spells. (normal difficulty)

It's just that there are so many talents, it's hard for me to make a decision considering I will probably play the game only 1 playtrought because I do not have the time to play more, so I'm trying to make the best out of my decisions.

Remember if you are unhappy with a talent selection you can always respec. For me a lot of the fun in this game comes from experimenting, and since Obsidian were good enough to add a respec option you can now do that without starting a new playthrough. There are so many fun and powerful combinations, don't hesitate to try figure out what works better or worse for yourself.

• 1 month later...

Start combat with Holy Radiance and other buffs, followed by Interdiction, then stand around and cast your other stuff when needed. It's also smart to cast Consecrated Ground before getting into contact with the enemy.

I am still confused as to what Holy Radiance does exactly. I thought it was a heal? If so, wouldn't you want to cast in the middle of the fight - not at the beginning?

Start combat with Holy Radiance and other buffs, followed by Interdiction, then stand around and cast your other stuff when needed. It's also smart to cast Consecrated Ground before getting into contact with the enemy.

I am still confused as to what Holy Radiance does exactly. I thought it was a heal? If so, wouldn't you want to cast in the middle of the fight - not at the beginning?

I believe if you look at the list of talents right above that statement by Boeroer you will see Inspiring Radiance which gives everyone in your party in range of holy radiance +10 accuracy so that is why you would start with Holy Radiance otherwise you wouldnt. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

I believe if you look at the list of talents right above that statement by Boeroer you will see Inspiring Radiance which gives everyone in your party in range of holy radiance +10 accuracy so that is why you would start with Holy Radiance otherwise you wouldnt. 

Ah, ok; so the heal aspect is then wasted?

Ah, ok; so the heal aspect is then wasted?

Yes basically but there are plenty of healing spells both from priest and other classes, scrolls, abilities, and potions

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

The healing of Holy Radiance is neglectible. It's much more beneficial to start your CC wave with +10 ACC.

If you don't have Inspiring Radiance then of course it makes a lot more sense to use Holy Radiance as a quick healing later during an encounter.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods