Pillars was sublime, the team does AAA quality work on a budget, and sequel momentum of course. The sequel momentum really has me excited.

I'd say your math checks out. But then RDR2 got delayed to next year... :cat:

Ha! It's also Phoenix Point. Equally excited myself :p

Ha! Looking forward to both. That said Obsidian has already made a great pillars game. I am a little bit less trustful towards PP. not that I gallop doesn't have chops, but it seems like a very ambitious project.

What does sequel momentum mean exactly?

It is that feeling we all get... deep down inside.... that the next version will be here soon and even better than before... that on the inside we are bubbling over with excitement and glee and makes us scream like little girls.... even if we are 6'4 grown men.

Ahem.... nothing to see here.... ahem..... carry on.... all of you, carry on now!..... please, just carry on!

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 2

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

It is that feeling we all get... deep down inside.... that the next version will be here soon and even better than before... that on the inside we are bubbling over with excitement and glee and makes us scream like little girls.... even if we are 6'4 grown men.

Ahem.... nothing to see here.... ahem..... carry on.... all of you, carry on now!..... please, just carry on!

Ha!  Yeah just the fact that Deadfire gets to benefit from all of the experience and feedback they got from the first game.  Can't wait, It's on like Donkey Kong!

Its the average change in mental inertia divided by the butthurt factor from the first release, plus a constant.

• Like 8

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If you want a serious answer, I think its the idea that since all the groundwork has been set by the prior game and the developers are more experienced with it coupled with more support from their funders because they know the first one sold well means that the sequel should be an improvement on the last one.  I think.  I dunno really, just typed out a load of stuff there.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Pillars 2 will be big. I'm hoping wizards of the coast wake up and give the forgotten realms franchise back to obsidian after it.

One can only pray:)

They wouldn't give it without a licensing fee or royalty checks. Obsidian wants out from under publisher insecurity. PoE is all about them owning their first IP, and they want more. I'm not opposed to them licensing, but not when it conflicts with their own IPs.

Kotor III however would be welcome, but surely that would go to Bioware first... :(

• Like 2

Pillars 2 will be big. I'm hoping wizards of the coast wake up and give the forgotten realms franchise back to obsidian after it.

One can only pray:)

They wouldn't give it without a licensing fee or royalty checks. Obsidian wants out from under publisher insecurity. PoE is all about them owning their first IP, and they want more. I'm not opposed to them licensing, but not when it conflicts with their own IPs.

Kotor III however would be welcome, but surely that would go to Bioware first... :(

I am actually more interested in new settings. Obsidian has some really cool ideas, and allowing them to do things without restrictions of existing franchise. I would love Obsidian SF or real world setting: noir, historical, war story anything. Alpha Protocol was broken but showed how well RPG set in unusual setting can work.

• Like 2

I certainly agree with that sentiment. For example, when PoE is more or less "wrapped up" maybe after 3+dlc. I'd love for them to try their hand at a sci-fi isometric. Maybe something like low-scifi cowboy bebop-esque. Full of planet hopping, space ports, bazaars, etc. I feel their aren't enough games that do the whole "commoner within a space-opera" story. It's always some larger than life hero. Prey 2 seemed to almost be that until it got canned, of course that wasn't an rpg.

Yes. But hopefully more jazz and less ham :p

I feel Firefly has the perfect amount of jazz, actually.

You can never have enough of me!

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams