What you did today

Gorth

Today I came to the Obsidian forum. Also I'm about to head out to grab some late lunch because my stomach is rumbling. I lost 12 pounds 5-6 months ago and have kept it off, but my brain keeps wanting to eat so those last 8-10 pounds still hang around. Oh well, whatever. At least my middle (where all excess weight goes) no longer looks like a loosely packed sack of russet potatoes. Maybe a tightly packed bag of mini-red potatoes.

Been pretty busy, out of town a lot, lots of time with the hubby (we read each others minds 90% of the time now, which is hilarious), the cat who never shuts up or leaves me alone for a second. Same ol' same ol', basically.  :biggrin:

Congrats LC. Great job.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And got ticketed for speeding (yeah, it happened... bloody school zone to that's meh marked), and not having an operators license (a bloody lie given that I have my Iowa Drivers Licence, and I gave it to him... but apparently because I've lived in state for more than 30 days he declared I didn't have one).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

^ Last speeding ticket I got was when I was around 18 I think. I used to be a terrible driver. Then I became a decent driver. Now I drive like my mom used to.

I'm bored and decided to clean out the photos from my cheap/old Powershot camera, which is what I use 90% of the time these days. Hauling around the DSLR/lenses all the time got old, especially when I now just take snapshots that I forget I've taken 10 minutes later. So they sit in the camera forever etc. Anyway.

Two cat pics:
catxmas3.jpg
catblanket21.jpg

My uber 3 screen/desk setup! (haha) :disguise:

I'll eventually buy another 27" monitor to replace the horrible 19" one on the right. But for now..."it works, whatever." That phrase is kind of my motto these days. There's so much "blue light" being tossed at my eyeballs now, tho, that I had to buy some amber clip-ons to wear when sitting there for more than 15 minutes.

desktop5000.jpg

And yes that's a cheap cloth "greenscreen" in the corner. "It works, whatever."

(edit - the TV's a 40", in case you're wondering. Good for the PS4)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ Last speeding ticket I got was when I was around 18 I think. I used to be a terrible driver. Then I became a decent driver. Now I drive like my mom used to.

I'm bored and decided to clean out the photos from my cheap/old Powershot camera, which is what I use 90% of the time these days. Hauling around the DSLR/lenses all the time got old, especially when I now just take snapshots that I forget I've taken 10 minutes later. So they sit in the camera forever etc. Anyway.

Two cat pics:

catxmas3.jpg

catblanket21.jpg

My uber 3 screen/desk setup! (haha) :disguise:

I'll eventually buy another 27" monitor to replace the horrible 19" one on the right. But for now..."it works, whatever." That phrase is kind of my motto these days. There's so much "blue light" being tossed at my eyeballs now, tho, that I had to buy some amber clip-ons to wear when sitting there for more than 15 minutes.

desktop5000.jpg

And yes that's a cheap cloth "greenscreen" in the corner. "It works, whatever."

(edit - the TV's a 40", in case you're wondering. Good for the PS4)

Welcome back :)

Where have you been you ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Welcome back :)

Where have you been you ?

I've been back for a little bit. Although "back" is a relative term. I drop in once every few weeks or once a month maybe. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tanking off work today and tomorrow. That's one nice thing about government jobs. The pay isn't that great but they do give you a lot of vacation time. After four years of 12-14 hour days six days a week while working in my own enterprises that is a nice perk to have. This afternoon the pups and I are going to Aurora KY and the Land Between the Lakes National Park for 5  days of camping, fishing, and just  enjoying life.. So have a good weekend everyone. I believe I will.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I need an obsessive-nature intervention. And this is after already deleting 150GB.

OCDmuch.jpg

Every game I play a ton/for months, I have this problem (KOTOR2, 7 Days to Die, FONV, etc). I now have three 2-3TB external HDD's just to dump-store all this kind of stuff + any other videos/photography/media/general downloads and docs and system backups and .... once in a while I *do* make a half-hearted attempt to clean something out, but you can imagine how that goes. Delete 50GB, add 100GB more. Why bother.

Weren't PC's supposed to help make our lives simpler/faster? Uh-huh. For me at least it probably made things worse. :D

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

Tanking off work today and tomorrow. That's one nice thing about government jobs. The pay isn't that great but they do give you a lot of vacation time. After four years of 12-14 hour days six days a week while working in my own enterprises that is a nice perk to have. This afternoon the pups and I are going to Aurora KY and the Land Between the Lakes National Park for 5  days of camping, fishing, and just  enjoying life.. So have a good weekend everyone. I believe I will.

Hubby did the work 60-80/hrs a week thing for several years and then crashed and burned. Took a year off.

He's self-employed now (with one company he works for, 99% of the time) @ maybe an average of 30/hrs a week (it's a pretty cushy situation...) and yeah .... he's been very happy. They keep trying to get him to work full time as a "real" employee and he keeps shying away from it.

Going up to the other house and hanging out up there this summer is going to be some fun, especially now that the shower/bathroom is fixed/improved. Although he's now considering that he may not want to actually retire up there. Decisions, decisions. Make up your mind, sweetie. :biggrin:

At any rate - man we need to go camping again, even if just "car camping" at some lake. It's been so long. Sounds awesome, hope you have a ton of fun.

• Like 1

The company I work for had a bunch of summer workers that's been hired to make up for people going on vacation, and man what a whiney bunch of priviliged ****kickers. Over half of them called in sick in the first two weeks and a bunch of them apparently were going on month long vacations in the middle of summer without telling the company about this (So that another candidate could be picked, that can actually work through the summer and cover for people going on vacation.)

Atleast I work out in the yard now, I don't get nice things such as vacations. I get overtime instead. Rawr.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Weren't PC's supposed to help make our lives simpler/faster? Uh-huh. For me at least it probably made things worse. :D

well, try to imagine how much physical space and objective time would be wasted if you were utilizing computer punch cards for your games.  relative speaking, the modern pc offers a massive resource savings for such tasks.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is overtime in Sweden = hourly rate x 1.5?

It would depend on the collective agreement, but yes, if I was employed by the hour, but in my case I'm employed on a monthly wage. Wich means between 0600-2000 I get my "monthly wage"/94, all other hours "monthly wage"/72. I can also take that time as free time, the hours between 0600-2000 are worth 1.5 hours and the others 2 hours. Considering I work from 1200-2130 every day... :3

Also, mon-thu between 1900-2200 you get ~2.5$ extra per hour because it an "uncomfortable" working hour, after 2200, fridays, it's 5~/hour, days before holidays it's ~10$.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hey OP! New guy here lol

Even though I'm on the forum daily? I'm broadening my activity whereabouts I guess.

Today I got up, showered, brushed teeth and out to work (I never drink coffee or eat breakfast). Wrote like 30 comments on the forum while at work because why not... came home, hugged kissed wife and kids, fed my cat and gave her water, went with family out for Chinese food. Came home and watched The Lego Batman Movie with the family and so on, so forth. That was my day today. How about you? :)

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That was way too much math Azdeus.   :p

My son has discovered that he can make cereal for himself, and is attempting to survive off that for 3 meals a day. He is practically an adult!

Hehe, Imagine how I feel every time I get a paycheck and sit down to check what they've done, my bosses has a tendency to "forget" to note down some of my overtime hours. :)

Hey, attempting? I'll have you know I survived off of cornflakes, milk and wow for 2 years. :p

• Like 3

another bloomsday.  another bloomsday we will not be rereading ulysses

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My GF is writing her master's thesis at Stanford, so she's moved out to Palo Alto. It's crazy the amount of free time you get when someone you share all your life with goes abroad.

In other words, I've spent a lot of time cleaning out my apartment, doing the type of stuff that I typically just postpone indefinitely. Maybe I'll go visit her if I'm not too busy with work myself.

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

They let go several summer workers today at work, some days I get alot of free time and spend that time helping out in what way I can, but today had a really lazy start so I sat listening to the bosses discuss the latest shenanigans the temp workers has been up to. I'm an atheist, but jeezuz****ingchrist... The idiocy.

I'll be quite honest, I'm a bit worried about these people, they have absolutely no work ethic, and they really act like "dongs" towards the people in charge. How the **** are they going to keep a job?

I had to say goodbye to one of my coworkers that had her last day today, she was fun hanging around, and it's going to be sad not to hear her rip bosses apart for being idiots. :(

Tough I was happy to see the return of a girl from last year, didn't have time to do much more than say hello and hug, but I do remember her name and that she studies to become an architect, and that she comes from Värmland. I was quite moved that she had been asking if I was still working there. :)

• Like 2

My GF is writing her master's thesis at Stanford, so she's moved out to Palo Alto. It's crazy the amount of free time you get when someone you share all your life with goes abroad.

In other words, I've spent a lot of time cleaning out my apartment, doing the type of stuff that I typically just postpone indefinitely. Maybe I'll go visit her if I'm not too busy with work myself.

You will be just up the road from me if you do.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hubby did the work 60-80/hrs a week thing for several years and then crashed and burned. Took a year off.

He's self-employed now (with one company he works for, 99% of the time) @ maybe an average of 30/hrs a week (it's a pretty cushy situation...) and yeah .... he's been very happy. They keep trying to get him to work full time as a "real" employee and he keeps shying away from it.

Going up to the other house and hanging out up there this summer is going to be some fun, especially now that the shower/bathroom is fixed/improved. Although he's now considering that he may not want to actually retire up there. Decisions, decisions. Make up your mind, sweetie. :biggrin:

At any rate - man we need to go camping again, even if just "car camping" at some lake. It's been so long. Sounds awesome, hope you have a ton of fun.

LadyC there are several built-in window tools that can free up space and should be run every 1-2 months if you delete or move around data. These tools can also improve performance

Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag and you can compress certain files to reduce space, you can uncompress if this impacts any program :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My wife and I are leaving for Vegas on Monday, and it will top out at 116 degrees (47 Celsius.) That is a bit toasty.   

I assume you will be hitting the usual strip clubs  :sweat:

John Milton 

I don't have any issues with strip clubs, but I think you should be realistic about what is going on there. It is basically the fast food version of human intimacy.

Hurlie,

What kind of fast food places have you been going where they don't let you eat or touch the food?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif