What you did today

Gorth

Still juggling assorted bureaucracy to see what I can do about student loans and tuition fees for the return to university.

But while I'm about that, did have a general conversation with the course leader about getting ready for the course before the semester starts in September.

My somewhat faded skills with the likes of Ada and Cobol are a wee bit un-useful, so I'm focusing on the data science and analysis units more than the hard core advanced programming. But I still need to sit down and get to grips with Python, R, and re-familiarise myself with current SQL.

However, the weather has turned muggy, and some authors have released some new books so procrastination is calling quite firmly on this afternoon.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh dealing with bureaucracy is a wonderful thing. Especially when it's bright, perky, friendly and completely unhelpful while appearing to be helpful.  "I'll look into this for you and let you know."   Call back - "Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to do x to get into this"    Try to do X, get a different person "Oh no, that won't be possible. What you'll have to do is this..."

Weirdly since working as part of a major corportation, I have become quite adept at chopping my way through the red tape.

That said, am currently in the process of setting up a phone interview to take a pay raise as part of my move in a month and a half.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I bought a large storage shed, so tomorrow I get to put it together. The box was massive, they had to forklift it onto my garden trailer. Should give me some more space though, it is 7' by 7' and 8' tall.

i almost had an accident with the car yesterday. the new highway is closed for maintenance so for that part all traffic is diverted to the old road that is 1 lane in each direction and full of corners. as one point, as i was coming close to a corner with no visibility, i saw a truck coming from the other side with several cars lined up behind it. the problem was that one of the cars had a very impatient driver who decided to pass everyone in front of him at once and right on top of the blind corner so we ended up playing chicken with neither of us having any room to move to the side. i pushed the brakes hard, the truck driver did the same (along with everyone behind him) and somehow we made just enough room for him to get back to his lane without crashing head on into me. had i been just a bit closer to the corner when i spotted him coming out on my lane, there would be no room to avoid a collision... hell, had i been driving a truck i wouldn't even brake and just ram the idiot

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

My employer has started using a new system for the trailers we have, called a link, it's a complicated and labour intensive POS that I and every other person that has to deal with it hate. But the company is loving it, they're paying less in taxes for it, they say so they save money. I very much doubt that though since it takes us 5-10 times as long to use it as the dollies and containers we normally use.

Not to mention that none of the eastern european drivers now how to really use them so my yard fills upp with truck drivers that doesn't speak a word of english or swedish...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Good question, probably means you click your tongue :)

Speaking of links, today we had an incident with one of those hired drivers. He had forgotten to lock the fifth-wheel coupling, so the 'kingpin' was'nt holding on to the wheel. He did'nt bother testing it or anything like that, he just assumed that it would lock on it's own, so he raised the support legs, hooked up power, ABS, air and drove off... for about ten metres before the trailer dropped off, shattering the lights on the link and made my day a living hell.

The only way to get the trailer back up was either with a forklift, wich we don't have, or by manually raising the support legs. Guess who drew the short straw?

Oh yeah. Me.

Good fun!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've been working up at Moss Island most of the week. Was planning on working from home today to begin collating all the data collected. But I got up this morning and instead of making coffee opted for hair of the dog. The first one led to a second one and now my motivation to be productive (such as it was) is shot.

I picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Red Dog Saloon special edition (it's their 125th anniversary edition). I don't know why I keep trying JD, even the special editions as though I'm going to like them. It's not that JD is bad, it's just not good. It has no taste to speak of. No character. Good whiskey should have a very identifiable and complex taste. Jack Daniels just does not have that. Even the "special editions". I don't know if it's a flaw in their recipe or just what happens with mass produced, blended whiskey. I guess I'm spoiled by drinking single barrel products.

Allow me to impart of word of advice to all of you. There are things in life that you may sacrifice quality for price without later regret. But when it comes to computers, firearms, and whiskey get the best you can find even if it costs more. Take that to heart and all the time you've spent reading this post will not have been ill-spent.

Now then, I do believe I will have a light breakfast and spend the remainder of the day sitting on my porch listening to the radio and getting rid of the rest of this Jack Daniels crap. Yeah, it may not taste as good as I'd like but it's valur as an anesthetic cannot be debated.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Offered a promotion to a complete **** show of a division. Might be better pay (hahahah who am I kidding) but means I get to be exposed to more panic.

Bah.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i laugh so much when somebody in a f2p online game says "get a job" to someone complaining about something he can't afford. the guy saying it is probably someone who has no idea what work is and just has loaded parents.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Congrats, Malcador!

Pft. Not sure that is warranted :p Any time a manager says "It's a good opportunity" only hell follows in its wake.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've come to the conclusion that I can tolerate summers in NYC for a grand total of 2 weeks before I want to murder someone

I guess you're not alone there. It has the fifth highest homicide rate the country. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ah, day drinking, I love it. The unfortunate side effect is GD will probably be asleep in that rocking chair by noon. :lol:

You didn't miss by much

Thomas Sowell

Amazon echo is trying it's hardest to get thrown out the window today. Every time I tell it to do something it says several things have the same name and which one do I want. Problem is that I have nothing that shares the same name or is even remotely similar.

Fix my **** Jeff Bezos

Free games updated 3/4/21

Had one of those nasty calf cramps in bed, which woke me up right quick this morning. Tried hiding my very noticeable limp when walking around at work today, my co-workers being quite sporty and not remarking on it when I passed by them.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Got one myself this "morning", got way to little sleep because of it.

You know you're going to have a good day when those happen :)

• Like 1

my cat is giving birth right now and i went to see how she was doing. the first kitten was coming out just as i got there. she had to get up and squat for the final push and then she got to the most disgusting part of the process: licking it clean and cutting the umbilical cord with her teeth and then eating the part that was sticking out.

well, considering that she can eat a whole mouse raw, i guess the taste is not an issue for her

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 3

-Teknoman2-

I got the windows on my car tinted today.  All the side windows, the back window, and the strip across the top of the windshield, everything as dark as is legal in North Carolina.  I'd have gone a little bit darker if I had a connect with someone who does inspections so they would look the other way, but I don't so I went the legal route to avoid yearly bullcrap.  I won't go so far as to say that tints are a necessity here, but given how hot it gets during the summer (it's 98°F today) and how much sunshine we typically get, it's very helpful.  The installers did a great job and it was surprisingly inexpensive, so I'm very happy.  Side benefit: My car looks even more badass than it did before.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

my cat is giving birth right now and i went to see how she was doing. the first kitten was coming out just as i got there. she had to get up and squat for the final push and then she got to the most disgusting part of the process: licking it clean and cutting the umbilical cord with her teeth and then eating the part that was sticking out.

well, considering that she can eat a whole mouse raw, i guess the taste is not an issue for her

That is very cool.

Thomas Sowell