What you did today

Gorth

There is something a little bit depressing when you have a weekend catching up with old friends you haven't seen in ages, the gaming group you used to play with, the merry band of geeks who survived school together.... And they've all stopped having any geek interests, forgotten pretty much everything about that, and no longer recognise Princess Bride references. Then they throw out the "I've got kids. I don't get to sleep because of the baby. I don't have time to remember that. I grew up."

If you can't cling to a little whimsy in life, something is hellishly wrong.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Party with friend was fun. Small gathering as well, so even better. Spent couple of hours with Russians talking about Sybase ASE :lol: All had kids as well, so was odd one out but was happy to see them use English when appropriate. Also ran into the guy who does my company's taxes there.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm leaving shortly for Durban for a business trip in my new position. Its going really well and Im learning new things, creating strategies and building pipeline opportunities every day

Im in Durban till Thursday and Im staying here.,check the room  :dancing:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/durur-protea-hotel-durban-umhlanga-ridge/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There is something a little bit depressing when you have a weekend catching up with old friends you haven't seen in ages, the gaming group you used to play with, the merry band of geeks who survived school together.... And they've all stopped having any geek interests, forgotten pretty much everything about that, and no longer recognise Princess Bride references. Then they throw out the "I've got kids. I don't get to sleep because of the baby. I don't have time to remember that. I grew up."

Having babies wreaks havoc on people. I gained about 20 pounds, and I wasn't giving birth. The good thing is in a couple years those adults will hopefully recapture that whimsy by sharing all those references with their children. Hopefully. :p

Yeah, I always get sad when I meet up with old friends and things turn out like that. I feel like they've died a little inside and force themselves to act older than they really are, sort of as if it is expected.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Grats :)

Colour?

Also, when do we get the next podcast episode? =)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Today I continued my unhealthy binge-watching of Korean dramas and films, had a nice dinner, tried to learn how to differentiate (by ear) and pronounce Korean double consonants until I tossed my hands up in the air for the night. Romanization of Korean pronunciation is about as helpful as tossing a drowning person a dish sponge. I've been trying not to even look at such since I think it would lead to bad habits.

Now time for sleep.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today, I shall gather up some mojo, go in to talk to the course leader about any preparation I can undertake before semester starts and I return as the somewhat creepy mature student to university. Then see if I can chase up 15 year old records for evidence to provide to the student loans company.

Depending on how my mood is going, I might further look into getting back into some driving lessons over the next few months. I'm kind of amused that my provisional driving licence is still valid 17 years on.

I'm probably just at the very beginning of this stage. I love my friends but it certainly seems we have started to exhaust our shared passions.

I wonder why people wave at me as they drive past while I'm jogging.

I like to imagine it's because they're scared. They see this creepy guy running along, dripping with sweat, and something about him just screams "homicidal madman." The wave is their attempt to signal "please sir, do not leap onto my car and try to violently bash your way through my windshield. There are plenty of other cars, pick one of them!"

There are far more likely possibilities, I'll grant you, but this is the one I like.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Are they waving their middle fingers?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Grats :)

Colour?

Also, when do we get the next podcast episode? =)

Here you go:

19959102_10209743445367573_3452828522944

The podcast is on a bit of a break. I'm sure I will get back at it in the next few weeks as I get bored over the summer. :p

• Like 6

Nice!

Wait, you live in California You have an nearly two month vacation and you might get bored? That does not compute!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Nice! :) The car would look awesome in red or orange I think! Is it spanking new or second hand?

I'm going to be mean then and hope you get bored quickly :p

• Like 1

Nice! :) The car would look awesome in red or orange I think! Is it spanking new or second hand?

I'm going to be mean then and hope you get bored quickly :p

I was thinking orange as well. Perhaps a lime green?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Nice!

Wait, you live in California You have an nearly two month vacation and you might get bored? That does not compute!

Have you BEEN to california?It's either overpriced garbage or seasonal overcrowding, nothing in between.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hi y'all! :)

I just had to share this one with you guys, as it may actually give you hope if something similar would happen to you, like, say, a loo incident...

My daughter told us that she couldn't find her iPhone SE anywhere. Well, at first we looked for it half-heartedly, since she usually manages to misplace it in her room or in among her dirty laundry.

However, hours turned into days, and she still couldn't find it or phone it.

Three days later, and we did turn the house upside down, since she hadn't left our house or our backyard during the time in question, and still no sign of that cell.

In a last ditch attempt, we began to scour our pretty extensive yard for it, trying to follow in her footsteps and so on.

Eventually, it was my daughter who found it. She was about to clean the rabbit cage, at least the pen outside, and when she emptied a food bowl full of rain water and pellets gruel, the poor cell dropped onto the grass with the goo. It had been raining cats and dogs for two days straight, so the food bowl was up to the rim in that stuff. It must have fallen out of her pocket when she did bend over to pick up her rabbit in the evening to bring it inside.

She was obviously distraught over her destroyed iPhone, so I started to resuscitate it in my own crazy desperate way.

I brought out the vacuum cleaner, and straight up just sucked that cell hard. Every little orifice got a good 15 minutes of suction. I even opened that SIM-card slot, and sucked there too.

After each suction session, I used the warm rushing air from the filter vent as a hair dryer, and gave each orifice and each side, a good hot blow job (that didn't come out right, did it?) for like 5-10 minutes. Finally, I put the iPhone on our lukewarm towel warmer for two days straight. 

Well, after trying to wake it up two days later, it was dead, and putting the cord in for some recharging didn't work either.

But then, four days onwards, a new try with that cord, and the darn thing flickered back to life again!

And when my daughter started it, almost everything worked except the one touch function.

Absolutely amazing!

And the weirdest thing of all, the last function that intrepid iPhone performed during its last dying seconds drowning in that bowl of water was taking a shot of the canopies and the dark skies above, and oddly enough, a barely visible phantom image of them remains forever on the screen as an eerie reminder of its fate.

I'm just stunned by this. How resilient our those iPhones?

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I brought out the vacuum cleaner, and straight up just sucked that cell hard. Every little orifice got a good 15 minutes of suction. I even opened that SIM-card slot, and sucked there too.

After each suction session, I used the warm rushing air from the filter vent as a hair dryer, and gave each orifice and each side, a good hot blow job (that didn't come out right, did it?) for like 5-10 minutes.

This made me uncomfortable. :mellow:

Oh dealing with bureaucracy is a wonderful thing. Especially when it's bright, perky, friendly and completely unhelpful while appearing to be helpful.  "I'll look into this for you and let you know."   Call back - "Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to do x to get into this"    Try to do X, get a different person "Oh no, that won't be possible. What you'll have to do is this..."

Nice!

Have you BEEN to california?It's either overpriced garbage or seasonal overcrowding, nothing in between.

*insert arguably gratuitous eye-roll*

summer in california has two major drawbacks:

1) gas prices

2) heat

gas prices is gonna be high everywhere, but while heat is less o' a factor for those at the coast or the mountains or the far north end o' the state, many o' your possible destinations will nevertheless include unpleasant ambient temperatures.  am not a fan o' CA summer heat.

https://www.nps.gov/state/ca/index.htm

such destinations is cheap.  can't express how much we love both the idea and the experience o' our national parks.  

not including national parks, you got a state with a ridiculous 'mount o' coastline, a significant % which is free accessible.  live your point break fantasy... sans the bank robberies.  am understanding there is many activities other than surfing which is popular 'mongst folks, but such seems alien to Gromnir.  regardless, is much frequent free ocean to be enjoyed during the summer. 

am recalling having posted 'bout sierra buttes, our favorite mountain destination.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92618-what-you-did-today/?p=1918613

gonna take but a little effort to find equal fantastic and underutilized CA mountain locales.

but s'pose you are an unathletic lump o' human flesh who don't like any kinda activity which might make you need sweat. no biking, hiking, surfing or even fishing. am suggesting a cheap gym membership, but if such is not what you were looking for, then just 'bout every mid-sized municipality is gonna have some kinda summer concert/movie series which will be free and/or cheap.  if your town is still recovering from the economic downturn and has done away with such free entertainments, then chances are the locale community college or University has similar options which will be free to students, but cheap for ordinary adults with jobs and families and lives.

high end eateries is expensive in CA, but every real city has at least a couple in-N-outs.  in-N-out is pretty darn cheap. 'course every college town is also gonna have food services which need be cheap enough to satisfy often destitute students.  some o' our favorite burrito and breakfast eateries is college dives.  still got fond memories o' now closed egghead in isla vista. zachary's weren't our ideal chicago pizza, but it were, at the time, not too expensive and it were ~ 2miles from campus. etc.

am knowing calax were being calax, and most people don't take such calaxian lugubriousness serious, but there is inexplicable CA contempt at these boards which we find inexplicable.  sure, am not a big fan o' patchouli, birkenstocks and angry liberals.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9fgyc6/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-marines-in-berkeley

we don't like summer heat and dryness.  we don't like housing and gasoline costs. 

*shrug*

at the moment, Gromnir is particular enjoying the overabundance o' local fresh produce.  is one o' the unspoken advantages o' being in the most active farming locations in the world. get a 2lb bag o' the most beautiful snow peas you ever seen for $2.50... or pick self for $.30 a pound?  by the end o' the month am gonna be seeing the country's best tomatoes.  watermelon, cantaloupe, corn, and all manner o' peppers is also grown local and is difficult to find better anywhere else. is all manner o' other produce, but the aforementioned is simple the stuff we ain't seen superior anywhere else in the country.  kinda the ending o' the best asparagus season, but is also a local favorite... and cheap.  

we get bacon from local farmers. real bacon. cheap.

get our eggs from local sources. cheap.

am now getting fish from a local fish farm. less cheap, but still cheaper than even supermarket prices.

with all the cheap food, you need fight to get us outta the kitchen.  well, such would be the case if it weren't so damnably hot.

housing prices is ridiculous expensive, but is not specific an issue when one is considering summer activities, eh? sure, price o' housing pushes everything else northward, but if you can't find fun things to do in CA w/o spending big money, then you is not trying or you is simple a dull person.  can't blame such failings on CA.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*snip*

I'm just stunned by this. How resilient our those iPhones?

My Mum somehow managed to put her iPhone in the washing machine.  Aside from some screen damage and occasional battery complaints it works just fine.  They're tough little buggers.