What you did today

Gorth

Sorry to hear that.  When I broke my ankle the morphine didn't completely kill the pain for me either and it was a very, very sucky first few days.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Found a solution for the pain. About 5dl of rum, administered orally.

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Your friend has impeccable taste :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hm, Student Loan company got back to me with the "oh we'll give you some money to live on, but we won't cover your tuition fees. We might, possibly, give some thought to considering it if you can provide us with enough evidence from a professional person as to why you couldn't finish your degree the first time around and it actually seems suitably compelling."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That will cure what ails you! And dosages may be increased at patient's discretion!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That will cure what ails you! And dosages may be increased at patient's discretion!

Greatest problem is the cost, that's about 30$ worth of rum I drank, wich lasted for about 4-5 hours. The equivalent in morphine would be 0.5$ per pill. One is massively taxed, the other is subsidized. :(

Greatest problem is the cost, that's about 30$ worth of rum I drank, wich lasted for about 4-5 hours. The equivalent in morphine would be 0.5$ per pill. One is massively taxed, the other is subsidized. :(

yikes rum is expensive there. You should try something that is not imported. Or better yet tell the dentist it still hurts like hell... 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I did, tried double the dose and still nothing, so she can't do much more.

A bottle of rum is about 31$ so it was about 24$ worth of rum I drank, to be more precise :p The only way to get it cheaper is moonshine, and that tastes like ass normally.

Edited by Azdeus

A bottle of rum is about 31$ so it was about 24$ worth of rum I drank, to be more precise :p The only way to get it cheaper is moonshine, and that tastes like ass normally.

Depends on who makes it: http://www.shortmountaindistillery.com/

Still going to be an import for you though so it's going to be expensive.

Thomas Sowell

the only time i use alcohol as a painkiller is in case of toothache. i just put some vodka, whisky or something else with at least 40% alcohol in my mouth and just keep it there to numb the area. when the effect passes, i swallow it and put some more in my mouth.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Depends on who makes it: http://www.shortmountaindistillery.com/

Still going to be an import for you though so it's going to be expensive.

And alcohol taxes... :/

btw i just came up with an idea on how to introduce the metric system in USA.

start making small changes using the following equation 

1 mile = 1000 feet

1 foot = 100 inches

1 inch = 1 centimeter (but don't tell them this last one)

so they can keep using the old unit names, but the actual measurements will be in metric

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Tried to watch the first Star Trek series. There was some guy who wasn't Shatner as captain and a medic with the weirdest combover you have ever seen who seemed to double as the captains bartender and some love triangle with a girl from a 'pleasure planet'.

Proto Shatner didn't speak a lot but he made up for it with intense looks.

Yeah not doing that again, sticking to TNG. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

That would be the first Star Trek pilot "The Cage" with Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike (a character who shows up again in TOS) and John Hoyt was Doctor Boyce.  Hunter was probably best known for playing Jesus in King of Kings and turns in Westerns like The Searchers and The Great Locomotive Chase. Hoyt was a Television regular from the 1950s to the 1980s.  Susan Oliver played Vina, the only survivor of the previous planetary expedition.  Oliver was another TV veteran, possibly most identified for her role on the TV adaption of soap opera Peyton Place.  Majel Barrett features as the emotionless second in command (only called Number Two).  She'd go on to voice the computer on various Star Trek productions and played Nurse Chapel.  Nimoy's Spock is full of emotion in this story as well.

After the first pilot failed, Roddenberry was given a chance (somewhat unprecedentedly) to do a second pilot.  The network wanted Spock out and Number 2 softened; instead Roddenberry fused the two into one character.  The second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" has Paul Fix (another veteran TV performer but perhaps most identified as Sheriff Micah Torrance in The Rifleman) as Doctor Piper.  Also in it are Gary Lockwood (who was in Roddenberry's earlier series, The Lieutenant), Sally Kellerman (who went on to a big film career in the 1970s) and Paul Carr, another veteran TV player who you'll see all of 50s to 70s US TV.

DeForest Kelly's Dr. McCoy shows up for the first filmed episode of the series, "The Corbomite Maneuver".

Because of broadcasting though, McCoy was first seen by audiences of the time in the first aired episode, "The Man Trap". Dr. Piper shows up without explanation two episodes later and fans had to wait until the 1980s to see "The Cage" and Dr. Boyce.

While I look forward to re-watching TNG, I didn't find it at the time anywhere near as interesting as The Original Series.  Be interesting to find how I see it now.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

TNG is occasionally good. Mostly it was the only Sci Fi on when I was a kid and I was briefly involved with a fan magazine.  I'm not sure either series holds that well up with the best of the TV produced this decade, but for some reason Sci FI shows are still few and far between.  What they have in common I suppose is inadequate effects, which is a good thing, it means that all they really have is the story, CGI filler just wasn't available. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I understand what you mean, but for me TNG lacked kind of the explorer's adventure element that responded for me watching TOS as a kid.  A friend who was also dissatisfied with it at the time described it as "The Enterprise Taxi Cab Service" which might be a tad unfair but I understood what he meant - a lot of episode set ups were "take person A to place B and complications ensue".

That doesn't mean it was bad, but after a rough start and a few years of being regular viewing I kind of lost interest so large parts of the later seasons I may have only seen an episode or two.

Hah, I'm actually rewatching all of Star Trek these days - gone through (TOS) The Original Series and almost done with (TNG) The Next Generation. On to DS9 and Enterprise, although I may skip Voyager  :sweat:

I understand what you mean, but for me TNG lacked kind of the explorer's adventure element that responded for me watching TOS as a kid.  A friend who was also dissatisfied with it at the time described it as "The Enterprise Taxi Cab Service" which might be a tad unfair but I understood what he meant - a lot of episode set ups were "take person A to place B and complications ensue".

That doesn't mean it was bad, but after a rough start and a few years of being regular viewing I kind of lost interest so large parts of the later seasons I may have only seen an episode or two.

TNG suffers the first 2 seasons in particular, as it's pretty obvious Roddenberry and the writes had problems coming up with realistic dramatic issues for people living in a cornucopia society. But as it finds it's stride, especially with the steallar 5th season, it blows TOS out of the water imho. 

TOS is much more about the personal story of exploration, friendship and courage - and shines when the characters (so unlike other shows from the time) were allowed to grow and evolve. TNG explores, particularly through the perspectives of Picard, Worf and Data, the different perspectives on duty, ethics and code of conduct in society -  and shines when dealing with (again unlike other shows of it's time) various philosophical and ethical implications where idealism meet reality.

So, which show is more fun in large parts depends on who you are - and where you are in life. Imho.

Looking back however, it's pretty awesome to see just how much Star Trek paved the way for what we consider 'normal' television today. Serialization in particular, TOS tried to break away from the 'monster of the week', allowing story archs to carry over. Really unique for the time, but very much taken for granted today.

Which makes it sad to see that Discovery looks to be so conform and 'cookie cutter' - where's the bravado that brought us the dark DS9 in the giddy 90s, or Kirk and Uhuras first interracial kiss during a time of racial tensions? Of course, I'll hold off final judgement until at least season 2... All Star Treks have rough starts after all.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Which makes it sad to see that Discovery looks to be so conform and 'cookie cutter' - where's the bravado that brought us the dark DS9 in the giddy 90s, or Kirk and Uhuras first interracial kiss during a time of racial tensions? Of course, I'll hold off final judgement until at least season 2... All Star Treks have rough starts after all.

am not looking forward to discovery in the immediate sense.  the thing is, we hope the show lasts at least three or four years, 'cause even the 'bad' star trek series o' the past offered a few fantastic episodes.  show could be utter forgettable, but history would suggest we will, five years from now, be able to sit back and enjoy a twelve-hour discovery marathon on some kinda streaming service which will put to shame most other sci-fi (or any genre tv) aired over the same span o' time.

almost paradoxical. am not needing discovery to be great or even good.  we simple need it to last long enough to be fantastic.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We are on a week long rv trip. I know I usually make a thread, but I wasn't feelong it this year. We just finished up at the Grand Canyon and had a beautiful drive to Zion. I may post pictures when we get back.

• Like 4

We are on a week long rv trip. I know I usually make a thread, but I wasn't feelong it this year. We just finished up at the Grand Canyon and had a beautiful drive to Zion. I may post pictures when we get back.

one of these years, before we get too old, we wanna visit zion during the winter.

have fun and stay safe.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Almost paradoxical. am not needing discovery to be great or even good.  we simple need it to last long enough to be fantastic.  

Not paradoxical, when this is true for most Star Trek series :) The shows really do need to find their story and focus - of course in the case of Enterprise and Voyager, that focus became contrived to the point of being almost banal, but generally they do find an interesting angle to explore deeply. Religion, duty, exploration.. 

Ah, can't wait till I start DS9...

Fortune favors the bald.