Terror attack in Manchester...

Gorth

BBC Coverage

Nineteen people have been killed and more than 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.

The blast happened at 22:35 BST on Monday following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande.

PM Theresa May said her thoughts were with those affected by "what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack".

Paramedics at the scene told the BBC they had treated some of the wounded for "shrapnel-like injuries".

Condolences to those who lost family, friends and loved ones.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Has anyone claimed responsibility for the attack?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No one has as yet.  Attacker was killed activating the blast, total dead has gone up to 22 last time I checked.  Most people are assuming it's a Daesh attack though it hasn't been announced as such yet.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Disgusting

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't see point of this thread, noting new is going to be discovered here...

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Could be a good movie. Bunch of dbags and Amentep from an internet forum make their own counter terrorist group.

Sort of like that show Counterstrike minus the catchy theme song

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest The Architect

Wouldn't be the first time someone thinking about nailing Ariana Grande has led to an explosion.

I don't see point of this thread, noting new is going to be discovered here...

true enough, eventually it will move to immigration, tolerance, politics and in the end, everyone will agree to disagree.

Shame though that with the raise of tolerance and immigration we need to start caring where we go to concert to not get blown up. 80s and 90s were so much better... domestic terrorism in EUR never targeted civs on purpose and was rather limited.

This new imported and then saturated by bad integration politics is something i refuse to accept as day to day reality.

Well, the guy was born in Britain. His parents were immigrants, so you'd need to roll back to 20-30 years ago to actually make that argument work. How many of these attacks have been aided or abetted by the recent influx of refugees at this point?

• Like 1

Erm... maybe the problem here is actually bad security. Need to do more to check people, even of they have to turn stadiums into airports with military personal. These are desperate times, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

Hopefully security will be tighter next time. Sad to hear about these things yet they could have been better prepared for this. These things can always be prevented.

Prayers go out to all those families, these are dark times. There's a wall being built in the Americas, maybe Europe needs a wall too. Nothing wrong with extra percautions just in case.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

You shouldn't need 'extra' security for some silly concert attended largely by children. At leats you wouldn't if it wasn't for esxretmnist Islam and their defenders and excusers which you ar eone of.

" Yeah, lack of security is why this happened."

NO.

This hapepned because a piece ofc rap got brainwashed into think blweoing yourself up and mass murdeirng little children is the righteous religious way. Stop  it.

You sound liek the people blam,ing people who don't have top notch security  and jujst lock their house door when they get robbed.

No. The perpertator is at fault. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When did large scale concerts filled with kids become a silly matter? The youth should be the most protected age in any age group. You can tell that to the parents of the 8yo girl who died. A concert with kids ALWAYS should have double maybe even triple security with everything going on in this world today.

This is a bombing, it's not the same thing as a thief breaking into a home to steal something. The priority is far greater. The perpetrator is at fault yes and so is security. They are called security for a reason, if it was your kid who died you might be asking yourself who was in charge of security that night...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

You completely misssed the popint. It's not that children aren't worth protecting. They absolutely are. But,y ou ar eblaming what happened on 'lack of defense' when the blame shiould be 100% on the perpetrator. Stop trying to blame others for the scumbag's chocie to commit mass murder of innocent people.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If the current information is correct then venue security was irrelevant anyway, since the attack took place outside of the venue security checks, not inside.

Well, the guy was born in Britain. His parents were immigrants, so you'd need to roll back to 20-30 years ago to actually make that argument work. How many of these attacks have been aided or abetted by the recent influx of refugees at this point?

2nd generation certainly seems to be far more common in these attacks than 1st gen immigrants. Most of the Brits who went off to fight for ISIS had absolutely typical British accents as well. That's why the group 'Jihadi John' led was known as the 'Beatles', because they sounded like what they were, 4 people from the north of England.

I'll just take a shot into the dark and say that the 2nd generation is often the problem to begin with. You can see the same here in germany-- all these second generation turks, I know so many of them who keep talking bad about germany, how stupid germans are, what proud turks they are, etc... despite never having left germany ever in their (short) lives AT ALL. They don't even know how living in turkey is, yet they keep going with their shait.

My uneducated guess is that this happens because they either want to feel special "I'm not german (despite living here all my life)" and / or because they don't feel integrated. Also it doesn't help that a lot of these people are bad at school for various reasons, have a hard time finding good jobs, therefore mostly living on state welfare. These people seem easy to "convert" to something that makes them feel they have a purpose or whatever.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, it's definitely an integration issue, though exactly why is a bit of an open question. I more or less agree though.

Part of it probably is the tendency to focus on everyone being a 'special snowflake' and then, conversely, on how bad immigrants/ muslims etc are; from different segments in society and which are not really consistent concepts and makes society as a whole look hypocritical. 1st gen immigrants also tend to have direct experience of where they came from and are (generally, not always) grateful to be in their new country instead, while 2nd gen people tend to both romanticise the old country and resent their new home if they don't get the opportunities they expect. Searching for a purpose also seems to be a major factor, many people go through a phase where they become an 'anarchist' or 'communist' or whatever instead of a jihadi, but it's much the same concept- the "Catcher in the Rye" inspired 'anarchist' killer was a meme before there were memes. Add to that all the money Saudi throws at getting their particularly retrograde subsect promoted everywhere (and equally much to stop in being seen as retrograde in media) plus the promise of everything being wonderful in the next life and you have the recipe for home grown terrorism.

Definitely agree that the blame for the bombing as such has to fall on the perpetrator, but a repeated failure in security can also be blamed of negligence (I don't know enough about this matter to argue in favour or against it myself, but I can see how it can be a valid claim to make). These are two different accusations even if they do relate to a shared event and one shouldn't shadow or replace the other.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Am I the only one who values liberty over security, at least at this point? Our freedom is already being stomped on, and yet you call for even more security?

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Am I the only one who values liberty over security, at least at this point? Our freedom is already being stomped on, and yet you call for even more security?

Security doesn't stop freedom, it protects it. There is no such thing as too much security, can you name an event that has ever had too much security?

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/h2020-section/secure-societies-%E2%80%93-protecting-freedom-and-security-europe-and-its-citizens

There's no reason for people to fear security unless they're doing something wrong but feel free to prove me wrong.

Edited by SonicMage117