Bill Nye the Degeneracy Guy

Valsuelm

Does this bother you Val? That it's offensive morally speaking? That it's co-opting "science" so sell a political viewpoint? That it's not particularly entertaining? The solution is the same... don't watch it. There are many, many, and more shows I won't watch and never lose a minute of sleep if they are occupying air time. What remedy are you hoping for here? That it be taken off TV? That folks  don't watch. Well if it's the latter I'm way ahead of you and if it's the former don't waste bytes on your data plan asking for that. Nothing you can do.

You know why I'm basically a happy guy? I pay no attention to things that irritate me. Bill Nye does not exist in Guard Dog's world.And if folks want to watch his show, laugh at it, even believe it's all fact that will change nothing in your life or mine. You and I agree on somethings, disagree on others but even if we were opposite of everything the sun will still come up in the east and set in the west. The big river still flows south and our dogs still love us. Bill Nye can't make you believe anything true or false so don't lose sleep over it,

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"  Bill Nye does not exist in Guard Dog's world " 

Classic GDism  :grin:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

mmm... Just another entry into the already overpopulated culturewar™ videos on youtube. He lost me when he started to go 'the left is such and such and so on'. Meaningless dribble.  

The left has co-opted science because of climate change deniers and creationists on the right. There is something to be said for insisting on empiricism, and if you have found people on the left who are not consistent, well then you can trump card them - But with science, not with a stupid youtube video. 

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I watched until the young chubby lady started singing in a remarkably off key voice, and with extremely poorly crafted lyricism, then I bailed i'm afraid to say. I'm neither interested in her private life, certainly not her musical attempts or anyone who would inflict that on an audience.

I always get Bill Nye mixed up with the English actor Mr Nighy.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Does this bother you Val? That it's offensive morally speaking? That it's co-opting "science" so sell a political viewpoint? That it's not particularly entertaining? The solution is the same... don't watch it. There are many, many, and more shows I won't watch and never lose a minute of sleep if they are occupying air time. What remedy are you hoping for here? That it be taken off TV? That folks  don't watch. Well if it's the latter I'm way ahead of you and if it's the former don't waste bytes on your data plan asking for that. Nothing you can do.

You know why I'm basically a happy guy? I pay no attention to things that irritate me. Bill Nye does not exist in Guard Dog's world.And if folks want to watch his show, laugh at it, even believe it's all fact that will change nothing in your life or mine. You and I agree on somethings, disagree on others but even if we were opposite of everything the sun will still come up in the east and set in the west. The big river still flows south and our dogs still love us. Bill Nye can't make you believe anything true or false so don't lose sleep over it,

If you think I get offended. You are mistaken.

Ignorance is not a solution.

Whom?

If you grew up in the States in the 90s, you would likely have been exposed to him.

I know many a folk Stateside who think he's the shiz, have fond memories, etc.

The guy is actually a pretty good example of the effectiveness of brainwashing the young. A science show for kids on PBS, how can that possibly be bad? Right?

One could write a book....

What a disappointment. I mean, the title alone, Operation Reinhard. Hosted by Red Ice. Narrated by Reinhard Wolf.

I didn't really expect a five minute diatribe on how Bill Nye corrupts the moral values of our youth with animated ice cream cones. That could have come straight outta the 80ies, just substitute Bill Nye randomly with video games or Dungeons & Dragons.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

mmm... Just another entry into the already overpopulated culturewar™ videos on youtube. He lost me when he started to go 'the left is such and such and so on'. Meaningless dribble.  

The left has co-opted science because of climate change deniers and creationists on the right. There is something to be said for insisting on empiricism, and if you have found people on the left who are not consistent, well then you can trump card them - But with science, not with a stupid youtube video. 

He lost me at Jewish comedian

That set my expectations for the rest of the video and I was not disappointed

Mind you, Rachel Bloom's comedy is not my taste at all and I've found Nye's show to be a bit of a letdown 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Clearly Nye's show wasn't watched all that much anyway, because how else do you explain the amount of flat-earthers these days?

But you have to remember, as they proudly point out, the Flat-Earth Society has many members around the globe.

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What a time to be alive. Now that guy on the corner or in the pub has a global reach

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The guy is actually a pretty good example of the effectiveness of brainwashing the young. A science show for kids on PBS, how can that possibly be bad? Right?

Except this clip isn't from the kid's show. Feel free to find some clips from the kid's show that are brainwashing the youth.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

Well you created this thread so either it bothers you or you just wanted to point out the absurdity of it. Considering this guy wanted everyone who didn't believe in man made global warming locked up (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/14/bill-nye-open-criminal-charges-jail-time-climate-c/) the level of expectations from him isn't real high to begin with. Like Malc said, he's just a guy with a unrealistic TV Show. Jerry Springer has one of those. It does not mean you have to watch. So I'm going to assume this bothers you. Well the solution there is easy. Unlike when we were kids there are endless cable and internet channels to watch. There is never a time when there isn't something else on.

Now if you want his show taken off for (insert any reason here) then I'd have to say that would be a very... liberal... position to take. After all, it is the left wing anti-liberty types that want to ban everything they don't approve of right? It would be hypocritical to do that kind of thing while castigating them for it. 

On a different note remember how awful it was when we were kids on Labor Day Weekend? Well, if you are in your 40's and remember a time before cable TV. We had just four channels and the Jerry Lewis Telethon was on every one of them 24-7 the whole weekend. That sucked.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well you created this thread so either it bothers you or you just wanted to point out the absurdity of it. Considering this guy wanted everyone who didn't believe in man made global warming locked up (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/14/bill-nye-open-criminal-charges-jail-time-climate-c/) the level of expectations from him isn't real high to begin with. Like Malc said, he's just a guy with a unrealistic TV Show. Jerry Springer has one of those. It does not mean you have to watch. So I'm going to assume this bothers you. Well the solution there is easy. Unlike when we were kids there are endless cable and internet channels to watch. There is never a time when there isn't something else on.

Now if you want his show taken off for (insert any reason here) then I'd have to say that would be a very... liberal... position to take. After all, it is the left wing anti-liberty types that want to ban everything they don't approve of right? It would be hypocritical to do that kind of thing while castigating them for it. 

On a different note remember how awful it was when we were kids on Labor Day Weekend? Well, if you are in your 40's and remember a time before cable TV. We had just four channels and the Jerry Lewis Telethon was on every one of them 24-7 the whole weekend. That sucked.

Huh...

You assume quite a lot, and you're way off.

With the general exception of the posts I make in the Music thread, any given post I make outside of it likely has a large myriad of reasons why I make it. Neither of your two guesses are on the mark. Never is one of the reasons because X bothers me, and pointing out absurdity wasn't a goal here.

Also, I spent most of my non rainy (and some rainy) labor days outside as a kid, or if inside reading or playing games with other kids. My family was an early adopter of cable (had it in the late 70s), so the option was there, but I usually didn't make use of it when it was sunny out.... Things back then did not suck relative to today, by any means. If you really think so, I truly feel sorry for you, because you're missing out on a heck of a lot of what life has to offer.

Except this clip isn't from the kid's show. Feel free to find some clips from the kid's show that are brainwashing the youth.   :thumbsup:

The bolded is largely irrelevant to the post I made, except when taking the argument deeper to possible conclusions, which you're so far indicating is beyond you, sadly.

And good luck finding many clips that aren't...

Edited by Valsuelm

I think this is a Suitable response.

Val, I would say you are like a sixteen year old, but to be honest, you remind me more of my class four years ago. Whenever someone would even say "sex", "****" or, god forbid, "vagina" everyone would scream "eeeeeeeeewwwwww", end of the conversation.

People have sexual fantasies. It's a thing. People want to live these sexual fantasies. That's a thing too. And a good one.

EDIT: censoring p€nis but not vagina? Really?

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Val, I would say you are like a sixteen year old, but to be honest, you remind me more of my class four years ago. Whenever someone would even say "sex", "****" or, god forbid, "vagina" everyone would scream "eeeeeeeeewwwwww", end of the conversation.

People have sexual fantasies. It's a thing. People want to live these sexual fantasies. That's a thing too. And a good one.

While the Nye video pretty much represents society ruled by its base desires instead being in control of them, i find the bolded part more interesting. Tell me more about this, what kind of university did you attend where people talked like children?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

https://youtu.be/ddKwb3Wzz0w

While the Nye video pretty much represents society ruled by its base desires instead being in control of them, i find the bolded part more interesting. Tell me more about this, what kind of university did you attend where people talked like children?
Ben is not yet in university :)
Indeed. But I am flattered you assumed :)

So four years ago, we're talking ages between 11 and 12.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Ben is not yet in university :)
Indeed. But I am flattered you assumed :)

So four years ago, we're talking ages between 11 and 12.

Ah, oh dear, the fire of righteous youth is strong in you.

Oh how you will laugh at your former self when you are 33, married, in debt and a child on the way. 

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy