Icantha in Act 3?

Moloch.

Question

Hi,

I've encountered what I think is a common problem: I cannot open the door in the 13th level of the Od Nua dungeon.

After poking online, I've discovered that I needed to ask Icantha to teach me a certain language.

Apparently, this needed to be done after completing the Heritage Hills Act 2 main quest (I completed that main quest).

However, I didn't make it to the 13th level after starting Act 3). I re-gained access to Defiance Bay, travelled to Heritage Hill... only Icantha is not present in her house. Am I screwed?

Edited by Moloch.

18 answers to this question

That one I opened. I'm talking about the door that prompts a dialogue. 

The one with the CYOA dialogue? You have to talk to the various spirits on that same level. I don't think you need to learn the engwithan language for that part. On the wiki, there are some spirits which you do need Engwithan for, but I'm pretty sure you don't need it for that door.

Edited by smjjames

As I've posted at Steam - is it you who opened the very similar topic there? - Icantha teaches you the Engwithan language to operate the machine at the top of the tower. That is unrelated to the Endless Paths of Od Nua. Several spirits give you some hints, then you can give the talking door a good answer:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/guide.asp?ID=29967

No, you have to know the Engwythan language in order to pass the door to the Guardian of Od Nua (yellow animat who drops Edge of Reason). You can't understand the spirits and the door ("I am enemy to Of Nua...") if you don't speak Engwythan. That language can only be learned from Icantha.

Same with the lvl 8 fampyr who drops Argwe's Adra. There's only a peaceful solition if you learned the language from Icantha.

At least it used to be so...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, what does the journal say about the Undying Heritage quest?

After Icantha it should say: Now that I can understand the Engwithan language, I can return to machine at the top of Teir Nowneth and do something about the curse affecting Heritage Hill.

• Like 1

Yeah, right.

Hm... whatever - if you can communicate with the spirits and also can communicate with the door then the language is not your problem.

If you can't talk to them but somehow managed to solve Heritage Hill without learning the language then something is screwed up with the quest line.

Edited by Boeroer

No, you have to know the Engwythan language in order to pass the door to the Guardian of Od Nua (yellow animat who drops Edge of Reason). You can't understand the spirits and the door ("I am enemy to Of Nua...") if you don't speak Engwythan. That language can only be learned from Icantha.

Same with the lvl 8 fampyr who drops Argwe's Adra. There's only a peaceful solition if you learned the language from Icantha.

At least it used to be so...

I see, I knew of the Fampyr one on the wiki, but the wiki doesn't mention needing engwythian for endless paths of od nua level 13.

I have no idea how you'd be able to complete that quest without Icantha since the quest explictly says you need the knowledge from her.

Yes. And as I said: if you can understand them then the language is not the problem. It's more likely you didn't talk to the right spirit yet. This will unlock the option "I am enemy of Of Nua" at the door, which will open it. If you don't get that option you have to search and talk to more spirits. The one in the room with the secret door/sliding wall (you can only open with Maerwald's knowledge) has the most tricky dialogue options and the code phrase you can get from him (and which has to be inverted in order to open the door) can be missed easily. The spirit in the bottom right who destroys the machines will tell you that he inverted the door code (from pro Od Nua to anti). You have to talk to those spirits in the right order and I guess you need to check the door first, too. This isn't too trivial since some (dialogue) options can be missed easily.

Edited by Boeroer