Help with optimal frontline late game itemization/build

Not a big fan of Gwisk Glas honestly.  It's main selling point is being superb by default in my mind.  To the extent that I want second chance armors, I want them on the lower priority, durable targets with the res scrolls - as insurance, and because they're less likely to get knocked right back down after getting up from second chance.

Plus, might on your armor enchant is kind of meh, as that's an easy one to pick up on your belt or one of the late game helms.

Raiment of Wael's Eyes is my robe of choice, assuming I don't have higher priority armors to push up to superb (and even then - 2 DR on a backline character is just not that important).

Angio's, RoWE, and GG as your priority backline armors.  For midline or melee DPS there are 3 great hide armors (Wayfarer's, Blaidh, and Maneha's) or scale for a fighter (zero penalty once durganized).

Well the Gwisk Glas is superb, it has might enchant (I assume I wont be able to add another attribute enchant to it since it has that already?), and second chance, which is rly nice.

I am using the Rainment of Waels Eyes on my cipher atm, it surely is nice armor .

So if we have 3 armors, Angio, ROWE and Gwis Glas and 3 glass cannon backliners (wizard, priest and cipher), what would be ideal armor for each? I assume Angio on priest (so he can spam the buffs in hard fights easy with DAOM), ROWE for Wizard and GG for cipher?

Also what attribute enchants would you use on the armor? Priest=int, wizard=per?, cipher=per/mig?, dps barb=per/mig?, dps fighter = mig, support/tank paladin = ?

Sadly, the -10% recovery penalty enchantment of the Colored Coat doesn't stack with durgan reinforcement.

Wicked Briars generates a quite big AoE (2.5 radius base) in which enemies are damaged every 3 secs with pierce damage (10-15 base) and lasts 20 secs (base). It also causes hobbled every 3 secs for 3 secs (base). It works a bit like wizard's Chillfog. It's good with high MIG and INT and also works with Blooded last time I checked. If you kill enemies with it it also counts for Bloodlust and also Blood Thirst. Last time I used the Colored Coat its special version of Wicked Briars was foe only.

Frenzy on Sanguine Plate is nice, since it needs no casting time. BUT if you catch the first crit the first use will trigger, which will lower your deflection even more and you will quickly catch a second crit which will trigger the second use of Frenzy which just overrides the first Frenzy since they don't stack. But still: two uses of Frenzy are better than one. Same problem with Shod-in-Faith. However, you can work around that problem: put on the Cape of the Master Mystic. You will catch a crit and trigger Frenzy, but at the same time also trigger invisibility. Foes will stop attacking you and you can navigate into a great position for you carnage without getting attacked, then start hitting. This will put some more time between the two Frenzy triggerings. Just note that Frenzy from Sanguine Plate doesn't work with Greater Frenzy.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sadly, the -10% recovery penalty enchantment of the Colored Coat doesn't stack with durgan reinforcement.

Wicked Briars generates a quite big AoE (2.5 radius base) in which enemies are damaged every 3 secs with pierce damage (10-15 base) and lasts 20 secs (base). It also causes hobbled every 3 secs for 3 secs (base). It works a bit like wizard's Chillfog. It's good with high MIG and INT and also works with Blooded last time I checked. If you kill enemies with it it also counts for Bloodlust and also Blood Thirst. Last time I used the Colored Coat its special version of Wicked Briars was foe only.

Frenzy on Sanguine Plate is nice, since it needs no casting time. BUT if you catch the first crit the first use will trigger, which will lower your deflection even more and you will quickly catch a second crit which will trigger the second use of Frenzy which just overrides the first Frenzy since they don't stack. But still: two uses of Frenzy are better than one. Same problem with Shod-in-Faith. However, you can work around that problem: put on the Cape of the Master Mystic. You will catch a crit and trigger Frenzy, but at the same time also trigger invisibility. Foes will stop attacking you and you can navigate into a great position for you carnage without getting attacked, then start hitting. This will put some more time between the two Frenzy triggerings. Just note that Frenzy from Sanguine Plate doesn't work with Greater Frenzy.

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am also trying to figure out which armor attribute enchant should I give to my party members.

What would you say are most important attributes for:

1) Support/tank paladin (basically your Councilor Ploi build)

2) Saber dual wield barbarian

3) Fighter with 2H sword (Rumbaldt/BoTEP)

4) Priest (classic ranged caster, lots of buffs and damage)

5) Wizard (classic ranged build, lots of cc and dps)

6) Cipher (classic gunmage build)

I decide that when I got my rings, belts, boots and stuff. Then I enchant my armor with the stat that's left.

I like high INT on most of my chars, also monks, barbs, paladins and fighters. And since those classes often wear gear that has different enchantments (+deflection/protection and so on), sometimes my armor will give +2 INT for example.

I forgot that Sanguine Plate's Frenzy does work with the Berserker's Belt by the way.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am also trying to figure out which armor attribute enchant should I give to my party members.

What would you say are most important attributes for:

1) Support/tank paladin (basically your Councilor Ploi build)

2) Saber dual wield barbarian

3) Fighter with 2H sword (Rumbaldt/BoTEP)

4) Priest (classic ranged caster, lots of buffs and damage)

5) Wizard (classic ranged build, lots of cc and dps)

6) Cipher (classic gunmage build)

Well, there are the important attributes and there are the attributes you put on your armor enchantment.  Usually the *most* important stats you get from other items (since armor enchants only go to +2, and items frequently offer +3 or +4, sometimes with other effects).  So the right stat for your armor enchant really depends on how you are planning on distributing your gear, and generally is used to round out holes left by the other items you are using.

That being said, most of my armor enchantments are Int or Per.  Might is a very easy stat to buff through other means (2 great helms and 2 belts amongst them, which are not slots overflowing with high impact items), and Dex has both great items (Rings of Thorns, boots) and isn't crucial for everyone, so all the characters that really need a dex item will get a good one.

Int and Per on the other hand a relatively difficult to itemize for - most of their items are only +2 bonuses, and typically don't offer too much more - and those that do offer a lot more don't show up until very late in the game.  That leaves them easy choices to put onto armor.

Exception would be if you have a ton of Godlikes, and thus can't make use of all the great late game Might helms.  Then you might (heh) want to use a few might enchantments.

So, an example loadout:

Paladin: Intelligence (soulbound breastplate has Intelligence enchant built in, which makes that choice for you)

Fighter: Intelligence (Mantle of the Excavator, Might helm, Dex Ring)

Barbarian: Intelligence (Might helm, Dex Ring; Perception also works here)

Cipher: Perception (Talisman of the Unconquerable, dex shoes; Might also works here)

Wizard: Intelligence (Might belt; Perception also works here)

Priest: Dexterity (Band of Union, Might belt; who cares?)

• Like 2

I was trying to wrap my head around it, like why do I have to chose different stat bonus on each item?...and I just realized that, after having 3/4 game completed that the attributes from different items do not stack. ****, I am stupid xD

Ive completed many RPGs in the last 15 years and never seen one with the same mechanic where no bonuses stack, thats why it never even came to my mind lol

You can just add the oroginal item via console and then enchant again:

additem <name_of_the_item> 1 <enter>

For example: additem hide_armor_blaidh_golan 1

(hope the spelling is right)

But this is not optimal if you already put durgan steel or things like adra dragon scale on the original armor.

Edited by Boeroer

You can just add the oroginal item via console and then enchant again:

additem <name_of_the_item> 1 <enter>

For example: additem hide_armor_blaidh_golan 1

(hope the spelling is right)

But this is not optimal if you already put durgan steel or things like adra dragon scale on the original armor.

Ye sadly I already durganized it, but I guess I can just add the refined durgan ingot together with the plate itself via console and just "discard" the previous version:)

Exactly

I dont want to start a new thread for this, but do you know if its possible to add levels to NPCs through console? I want to respec my main char to fighter and start using Pelagina, but she is severely underleveled compare to my party.

thanks

I dont want to start a new thread for this, but do you know if its possible to add levels to NPCs through console? I want to respec my main char to fighter and start using Pelagina, but she is severely underleveled compare to my party.

thanks

I've never used the command myself, but there's one called "AddExperienceToLevel X" where I assume you replace X with the level you want and the game will add precisely enough experience to reach that level. I assume that, like the "AddExperience X" it will apply to your whole party and not just the character you want to boost, but if you're levelling Pallegina to catch up hopefully it'll only affect her (since all other characters are already above level X.

Needless to say make sure to save before trying that command to avoid messing things up, but I think this should work.

• Like 1

Yes, it's possible. As Jerek said, his command sets the XP for all current party members. So if you are lvl 10 and Pallegina is lvl 5, then typing AddExperienceToLevel 10 should do the job for Pallegina and everybody else who's not at lvl 10 yet.

• Like 1

Plus that command won't lower the MC XP total. If you are level 3 with 4400 XP and you use that command to raise your level 1 hirelings to level 3 which puts them at 3000 XP your MC will still be at 4400. Sweetness!

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

• 2 weeks later...

So I will respec the paladin and will use small shield+some one handed weapon (the ones that Boeroer and Max mentioned (Shame or Glory / Strike Hard / The Vile Loner's Lance /  Drawn in Spring). Or maybe Unlaboured Blade or Vent Pick? How much res and con can I dump with the paladin to still be able to survive? What would be a good stat distribution? Obviously high might, high int, what about the rest? I am playing on 3.0 patch so the Unblaboured blade wasnt nerfed, right?

Unlabored Blade might work, but not on a pure tank paladin. Because besides high MIG, you would need high DEX to increase it's proc-per-minute. Not to mention that you would need higher PER, in order to remove grazes and misses, and try to avoid hitting creatures with high deflection altogether.

Pure tank paladin (with sup weapon): 18/14/6/6/18/16 (early game) or 18/16/6/10/18/10 (late game)

Offtank paladin (with unlaboured blade): 18/8/18/14/12/8

Tbh, I would go for a tank route, specifically darcozzi tank-support with 8 in survival for health modifier and rest in lore, for scrolls. Wild Orlan.

I will respec the fighter to use 2hander. Should I keep high int with the fighter, or just dump it completely?

Depends on the weapon :)

Also, Tidefall vs. Hours of Rumbaldt vs. Blade of the Endless paths?

All 3 choices are good, but they ask for different stat distribution:

- Tidefall - max MIG as high as you can. Butdump INT, because of how wounding works. Although this mean there is little incentive to learn knockdown.

- Hours of Rumbaldt - to reliably proc the Overbearing and benefit from Annihilation you need high effective accuracy, and high PER + darcozzi paladin will help you at that. Plus you might want above average INT, which will benefit your prones and knockdowns.

- Blade of the Endless paths - doesn't really need high PER, as critting will dilute the benefit from DR bypass. Max MIG and DEX. Keep average PER.

So in the end I think the following are optimal:

- Tidefall: 20/14/18/15/3/8 (without knockdown / self buffs); v2: 20/12/18/10/10/8 (with knockdown / self buffs)

- Hours of Rumbaldt: 16/9/15/15/15/8

- BotEP: 18/12/18/10/12/8

For difficulties below PotD you can additionally lower RES, by 2-5 points.

Edit: updated stats.

Hey there. I just got myself the Blade Of The Endless Paths and I am thinking about switching to it from the Hours of Rumbaldt. The knockdown from Rumbaldt is nice, but the attack is awfully slow and I cant reach 0 recovery not even with DAOM potion, armoured grace and durgan enchant on armor and weapon and gloves of swiftness (while keeping vulnerable attack). If I go BOETP I would attack much more faster (speed enchant and I could maybe even disable vulnerable attack on most encounters since Estoc has 5DR native mod). Another thing is I would need to spend both dragon eyes on Rumbaldt, whereas BOETP is already superb. I dont know, still cant decide what is better option.

Anyway I wanted to ask, you said to lower the perception and int when going with BOETP, as "crit will dilute the benefit from DR bypass". Can you please elaborate on that? I did some testing using my barb as "test dummy", Barb had 14 pierce DR, I had vulnerable attack and BOETP=10 pierce DR. The crits were still hitting for 55-60 damage, while normal attacks for 35-40-ish. Also I am not sure if lowering perception on POTD is a good idea, as most of the harder enemies have crazy deflection numbers (yes, priest can solve this problem to some degree, but still if you get debuffed it can be a problem).

Thanks in advance

Edited by Aerinqq

Rumbaldt heavily relies on crits and PER gets increased priority as a stat to invest into.

While for BotEP the dps difference between hit and crit is less significant (partially because of no annihilation and overbearing; partially because DR bypass is not increased on crit), so you can spare a few stat points and put them into MIG and DEX instead.

P.S. Sure acc is important, especially in boss fights, but there is always a sweet spot unique for your build and party composition.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I like the BotEP, but I would never trade my Hours of St. Rumbalt for it (if I have a class/build which is capable of having high ACC, decent INT and is not too slow).

Here are my reasons:

- two damage types: huge advantage over any weapon with single damage type

- prone chaining: after the first crit your target will most likely suffer from prone, lowering its deflection even more, which leads to a higher crit chance.

- survivability: prone enemies don't hit you or others

- very high crit damage: it has Annihilation, which will give your crits +50% damage (additional to the usual +50%). Add the Merciless Hand (+30%), Durgan Steel (+30%), Dungeon Delver (+10%) and Azalin's Helmet (+10%). Your crit damage bonus will be +180%. Combined with the high base damage those crits are devastating.

- the higher the level, the more crits: as shown, crits with Rumbalt are better than crits with BotEP. The more you advance in the game the easier it is to score crits.

- great enchantment composition: Annihilation and overbearing is a great combo as shown above. And Accurate III is quite cool because it gives you a lot of ACC early, but you can still remove it and put on better quality like superb and so on. So Accurate III doesn't block enchament points like Marking of the BotEP does.

BotEP has Marking, which can be a very strong enchantment, but it doesn't do anything for your own dps but takes away enchantment points that you could invest otherwise. So, for me it's a nice weapon for a paladin with Coordinated Attacks for example or any other support char who also wants to deal good damage, but the composition of enchantments and the single weapon damage type doesn't seem to be too great for a dedicated dps guy - even though it has speed. 

To be honest, I would even take Tidefall before I would consider BotEP for my two handed dps guy. Especially if my INT is lowish but my MIG is high.

• Like 1

I like the BotEP, but I would never trade my Hours of St. Rumbalt for it (if I have a class/build which is capable of having high ACC, decent INT and is not too slow).

Here are my reasons:

- two damage types: huge advantage over any weapon with single damage type

- prone chaining: after the first crit your target will most likely suffer from prone, lowering its deflection even more, which leads to a higher crit chance.

- survivability: prone enemies don't hit you or others

- very high crit damage: it has Annihilation, which will give your crits +50% damage (additional to the usual +50%). Add the Merciless Hand (+30%), Durgan Steel (+30%), Dungeon Delver (+10%) and Azalin's Helmet (+10%). Your crit damage bonus will be +180%. Combined with the high base damage those crits are devastating.

- the higher the level, the more crits: as shown, crits with Rumbalt are better than crits with BotEP. The more you advance in the game the easier it is to score crits.

- great enchantment composition: Annihilation and overbearing is a great combo as shown above. And Accurate III is quite cool because it gives you a lot of ACC early, but you can still remove it and put on better quality like superb and so on. So Accurate III doesn't block enchament points like Marking of the BotEP does.

BotEP has Marking, which can be a very strong enchantment, but it doesn't do anything for your own dps but takes away enchantment points that you could invest otherwise. So, for me it's a nice weapon for a paladin with Coordinated Attacks for example or any other support char who also wants to deal good damage, but the composition of enchantments and the single weapon damage type doesn't seem to be too great for a dedicated dps guy - even though it has speed. 

To be honest, I would even take Tidefall before I would consider BotEP for my two handed dps guy. Especially if my INT is lowish but my MIG is high.

Heh, I was almost sure I am gonna switch to BOETP, now you made me rethink again:)

I did some testing and used my barb as "dummy", the dps of BOETP and Rumbaldt is very close actually. The main advantage of BOETP is that I wouldnt need to spend those precious sky dragon eyes and use it on my leadsplitter instead (planning to enchant barbs sabers to legendary). Also the prone is of course useful, but its not as useful for me I am afraid as I open vast majority of bigger fights with Ninagauth Shadow Flame, so my frontliners are mostly attacking enemies that are already paralyzed (or are debuffed with some other effects), and if the enemy is paralyzed I understand it correctly that the prone is pretty much useless, as the "stronger" debuff overwrites the "weaker" debuff?

I am lvl 13, playing upscaled POTD, steamrolling through everything. Adra Dragon, Sky dragon, Nalrend The Wise down without single HP lost, u guys gave me too many good tips and now it feels like no challenge xD Or maybe I should stop using that Ninagauth Shadow Flame as it trivializes all fights (unless enemy is immune to paralyze, in that case there is still Gaze of Adragan xD).

So to summarize it:

Rumbaldt pros: obviously higher crit and per hit damage, prone effect, dual type damage

Rumbaldt cons: need to spend 2 dragon eyes, slow attacks, cant reach 0 recovery even with DAOM potion

BOETP pros: fast attacks, already superb, marking bonus, native 5 DR bypass

BOETP cons: single damage time, less powerful crits

I would say the dps of both weapons is almost the same, higher crits compensate for the attack speed loss to an extend. Now question is how big of a problem is that single damage type, are there many monsters that are immune or have high resist to pierce? Also you said that there is less room for enchantments with BOETP, which is true, but I dont plan to upgrade it to legendary (I think it will be better to upgrade 2 sabers to legendary rather than 1 two-handed weapon honestly, not to mention my barb has twice as much damage dealt overall than the fighter xD), and there is place for lash, so I am not rly losing anything.

Also I was considering Tidefall, but for me its behind both of those swords for following reasons:

1) Wounding is just not rly useful in vast majority of encounters, normal enemies drop too fast, so DOT cant rly kick in

2) Draining is cool, but again, in vast majority of encounters, I dont rly take that much damage

Tidefall seems like rly good boss killer, but for standard encounters its not rly that good

Edited by Aerinqq

Tidefall (with high low INT) might be the number one dps two hander (I'm pretty sure it is). You have to realize that the wounding damage is calculated before DR and then gets applied as raw damage. This enchantment is a lot stronger than elemental lashes. Not only because of the raw damage, but also because high MIG buffs the wounding damage even more (this is special and doesn't work with the usual lashes). So, it adds a second lash that totally circumvents DR. And if you INT is really low then the complete wounding damage gets applied very quickly (under 5 secs) and it stacks, too.

I'm playing a high-MIG-rogue with 1 INT + Tidefall + Backstab at the moment and I have to say the damage is so good (even with grazes) that it's jawdropping. At the same time the draining numbers are so good that this guy is almost sturdy even without any other self healing. I reached 1 INT by dumoing it to 3 and then putting on the Ultimate Hat of Alluring Perfection (+2 MIG, +2 CON, -2 INT, -2 RES). Now I have 1 INT and 1 RES and a reeeally crappy will defense. ;)

Sparing Sky Dragon Eyes is a good point. Since BotEP comes superb this is an advantage. If you nuke everything into the ground with Shadowflame then you certainly don't need prone. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Tidefall (with high INT) might be the number one dps two hander (I'm pretty sure it is). You have to realize that the wounding damage is calculated before DR and then gets applied as raw damage. This enchantment is a lot stronger than elemental lashes. Not only because of the raw damage, but also because high MIG buffs the wounding damage even more (this is special and doesn't work with the usual lashes). So, it adds a second lash that totally circumvents DR. And if you INT is really low then the complete wounding damage gets applied very quickly (under 5 secs) and it stacks, too.

I'm playing a high-MIG-rogue with 1 INT + Tidefall + Backstab at the moment and I have to say the damage is so good (even with grazes) that it's jawdropping. At the same time the draining numbers are so good that this guy is almost sturdy even without any other self healing. I reached 1 INT by dumoing it to 3 and then putting on the Ultimate Hat of Alluring Perfection (+2 MIG, +2 CON, -2 INT, -2 RES). Now I have 1 INT and 1 RES and a reeeally crappy will defense. ;)

Sparing Sky Dragon Eyes is a good point. Since BotEP comes superb this is an advantage. If you nuke everything into the ground with Shadowflame then you certainly don't need prone. :)

Hmm, so in the end Ill end up using a sword which I wasnt even considering before:) But using Tidefall, as you said, requires low INT, so the DOT is applied in shorter amount of time, is that right? But with low INT, knockdowns will be almost useless, also worse constant recovery and also Clear Out...or just leave INT at average say 10 value?

Ach dammit - I meant "Tidefall (with LOW INT)" - sorry! But you already figured it out. ;)

No, with a fighter I consider INT to be very useful - so I wouldn't lower it and I also wouldn't take Tidefall I guess (unless I do a very special type of fighter with no Disciplined Barrage and other stuff that profits from INT). I was just talking about Tidefall's dps potential in general and didn't meant it as a recommendation for your fighter.

BotEP should be great.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Ach dammit - I meant "Tidefall (with LOW INT)" - sorry! But you already figured it out. ;)

No, with a fighter I consider INT to be very useful - so I wouldn't lower it and I also wouldn't take Tidefall I guess (unless I do a very special type of fighter with no Disciplined Barrage and other stuff that profits from INT). I was just talking about Tidefall's dps potential in general and didn't meant it as a recommendation for your fighter.

BotEP should be great.

I did some quick testing with Tidefall with 10 INT, max MIG and 15 PER and DEX. The dps seems to be almost identical to BOTEP and Rumbaldt. I also saw the "Lady of Pain" build, where Andrea recommends the Tidefall as best option (playing it with 10 INT). I am honestly not sure anymore, but I am gonna assume it doesnt rly matter as the difference in DPS is going to be miniscule, so just pick either I guess (preferably BOTEP or Tidefall as they come superb already and my party has many ways to inflict massive CC).

They are all three very nice and viable weapons. I would choose the one which "feels" the nicest and is in line with my character and role concept. If you like BotEP and its speed (which is indeed impressive, especially if paired with Durgan Steel and maybe also Gauntlets of Swift Action) then you should take it. And a fighter who can provide Marking (+10 ACC) for an ally is also nice.

• 2 months later...

Dual wielding sounds about right on your barb.

Personally – and others will probably disagree – I would alter your front line as follows:

1. Paladin, Weapon and Shield with marking weapon and outworn buckler/little saviour, Munaca Arret/Spirit Spiral (see Boroer's Counselor Ploi build in the thread pinned at the top of the forums), or dual marking weapons. Eventually use sacred immolation.

2. Fighter, 2H (Tidefall/Blade of the Endless Paths), armoured grace, Weapon Mastery/Specialisation etc ... Good char for Sanguine Plate imo

3. Barbarian (set-up seems fine)

Two questions:

1. Wouldn't a Fighter still be a far better tank than a Paladin, since his "tanking" talents and stats are superior? In particular, I really like the Overbearing Guard's capacity to knock down disengagers - which in my experience has been a serious problem, as tanks cannot seem to "hold aggro" in this game.

2. What are "marking weapons"?

Best dual wield combo for barb is Godansthunyr main and We Toki off-hand for stuns and prones in AoE.

Unlabored Blade is not that good, use it in the 2nd weapon slot for whatever char for the per rest abilities I guess?

Is it wise to use 2 weapons from different Weapon Focus trees? Or do off-hand weapons matter less?

1) I am unsure if I should use the 2-hander with paladin and 1handed weapon+Shield with fighter or if it would be better the other way around. What would be the best talents/abilities and attributes for such builds? (currently I have those attributes: 2H paladin 18/10/12/10/15/10, 1handed weapon+shield fighter 18/10/10/9/17/12 and dual wield barbarian has 16/14/9/15/16/5).

Last, your Fighter seems to match the cowardish approach of hiding behind a shield, adding even +2 to RES and trying to survive instead of disabling attackers quickly. You haven't told enough about how you play that fighter. At least you haven't invested into raising CON. High INT can be worthwhile with reliable hits and long knockdowns, but reduced PER and a shield are detrimental then. Kinda strange to raise MIG so much instead of making the fighter hit well and faster. I think you're wasting potential.

Confused. Are you suggesting that Fighters can tank without a shield?! Or that a tank is not needed?