Pathfinder CRPG with Avellone and without Obsidian announced

Them's fightin' words... :p

true, but not necessarily for the correct reason.  am getting the humor o' gifted response, but am certain the irs would be shocked to realize paizo is a billion dollar publisher.  got ~50 employees at a single location in washington.  generate a bit better than $10 million a year.  so unless their office happens to be resting on the richest unobtanium deposit within 200 klicks in any direction, am not seeing how they is a billion dollar publisher.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I guess it does depend on how you look at it. The game was being developed and published regardless. What they did was do a "hey, we have a budget to do x much. But we think the game really deserves y much. If you agree, you guys give us some more money so we can really develop the game we think it deserves to be."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

An emerging use of crowdfunding is advertising.  Case in point, The Banner Saga 2 was not crowdfunded and it sold like crap compared to the first game because almost nobody knew about it.  The devs went back to Kickstarter to make The Banner Saga 3 as much for the advertising it generates than the funding itself (if not more).

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Them's fightin' words... :p

true, but not necessarily for the correct reason.  am getting the humor o' gifted response, but am certain the irs would be shocked to realize paizo is a billion dollar publisher.  got ~50 employees at a single location in washington.  generate a bit better than $10 million a year.  so unless their office happens to be resting on the richest unobtanium deposit within 200 klicks in any direction, am not seeing how they is a billion dollar publisher.

HA! Good Fun!

My.com not Paizo.   Go to Owlcat's webpage, and its logo is in two different places.  They're the ones who publish Warface! and Armored Warfare.  I assume that's how MCA was introduced to the team.  Next time do a bit of research before dismissing a point out of hand.

Edited by anameforobsidian

From what I've seen Warface and Armored Warfare don't enjoy quite the growth War Thunder and World of Tanks have (probably only enough to keep the servers running, balance patches, and occasional content updates), and while parent company mail.ru is probably raking in a good bit of dough from VK I'm not sure they'd be willing to cannibalise the revenue from that division towards what is ostensibly a single-player RPG with very little to monetise post-release.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Oh no, look what I've done :( Sorry all

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 years later...

Necromancy!

So I really have little time for playing. I've finished Deadfire the other day, and Kingamker is now next on my list. The trouble is that I usually try to get to know some lore beforehand. In Pillars this was easy, as I was learning about it since the Kickstarter, and first worldbuilding posts from Josh. It is different with Pathfinder, because this has been around for awhile. Been trying to learn the basics from at least two different wiki's but there's just so much about it.

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the lore? A crash course? At first it looks like a DND rip-off clone, but there must me more than meets the eye, 'cause there's a lot of love for this setting everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

3 minutes ago, Messier-31 said:

stuff

is multiple more recent pathfinder crpg threads. one were started as recent as this month. 

whatever.

the point o' pathfinder is that it is a d&d clone. wotc stopped making third edition stuff, so folks who liked 3e d&d had to look elsewhere. paizo, with their pathfinder rules, initial used d20 open license to make what amounted to the d&d games folks missed when wotc started releasing 4e.

to be fair, even before the full 4e shift by wotc, pathfinder were having critical and fan acclaim 'cause it were considered kinda ideal retro, embracing old skool d&d goodness, while also having high production values. and again, were open-source d20, so...

that said, am not sure 'bout the question. setting is kinda a different query than suggested by your "d&d rip-off clone" comment. d&d, for example has had greyhawk and planescape and dark sun and ravenloft and spelljammer and multiple other settings. the main pathfinder setting is using a world called golarion, but there is a splat book which references the other planets in the solar system as well. regardless, the legacy o' d&d is clear and obvious in the mechanics o' pathfinder seeing as how it evolved from open-source d20.

setting o' kingmaker specific is the river kingdoms, which is an extreme small portion o' the continent o' avistan on the aforementioned world o' golarion. could plunk the river kingdoms down somewheres on oerth or toril w/o being particular out of place. 

https://pathfinder.fandom.com/wiki/River_Kingdoms

you got familiar d20 races, save that pathfinder elves is taller than humans... just to be different?

most o' the core classes is similar to d20 staples, though over the course o' ten years, the folks at paizo added a few more and kingmaker incorporates a few o' those additions.

https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Classes

in any event, if you played any 3e or 3.5e d&d, you will be able to jump right into kingmaker with a non arduous learning curve before you.

but again, is a couple other threads 'bout kingmaker and its sequel, so...

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is multiple more recent pathfinder crpg threads. one were started as recent as this month. 

Funny you're pointing this out. Wonder how'd you react if I were to start a new thread 😏

And even though I hoped for a more lore'y post, big thanks for chippin' in.

Like the statchoo said, it is a DND clone and that's why it's so loved (think BG1 setting with even less cities and more meadows and temperate broadleaf forests a la continental Europe), only with extra owlbears. Great many owlbears. Like, you'll have to dodge like 5 of those googly-eyed goofy schmucks every time you have to go to the outhouse. 

Edited by bugarup

6 hours ago, Messier-31 said:

Funny you're pointing this out. Wonder how'd you react if I were to start a new thread 😏

am guessing we wouldn't react at all as a mod would predictable roll it into one o' the other pathfinder threads.

*insert gratuitous eye-roll here*

and lore wise, as already noted, could be playing kingmaker as part o' a greyhawk or forgotten realms and you wouldn't notice significant differences, 'cause major lore events o' the setting is incidental to kingmaker and whatever river kingdoms specific lore you might believe is needed (and there really ain't such) happens in a brief exposition dump at the start o' the game... or via the link we provided 'cause y'know rif.

HA! Good Fun!

10 hours ago, Messier-31 said:

Necromancy!

So I really have little time for playing. I've finished Deadfire the other day, and Kingamker is now next on my list. The trouble is that I usually try to get to know some lore beforehand. In Pillars this was easy, as I was learning about it since the Kickstarter, and first worldbuilding posts from Josh. It is different with Pathfinder, because this has been around for awhile. Been trying to learn the basics from at least two different wiki's but there's just so much about it.

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the lore? A crash course? At first it looks like a DND rip-off clone, but there must me more than meets the eye, 'cause there's a lot of love for this setting everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, if you can get your hand on this rulebook, you can get the basics about the world of Golarion. At least it helped me a lot to get into PnP gaming of Pathfinder.

https://paizo.com/products/btpy82t7?Pathfinder-Chronicles-Gazetteer

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

17 minutes ago, Hawke64 said:

The guide books are currently available on HumbleBundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/pathfinder-lost-omens-paizo-books

The second tier includes the Guide to the River Kingdoms, where the game takes place.

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up some new books.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

15 hours ago, Gromnir said:

or via the link we provided 'cause y'know rif.

Look who's talking.

As I said earlier, I've already been to the wiki's, but hey, "check out the wiki". 'cause y'know rif.

Also, my question was about the whole Golarion, not only River Kingdoms. Something similar to "lore in a minute" youtube videos… 

Alas, these here are quite lenghty (37 videos): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk_5Tr_1rJKgO-8CkAM4nlO49_TA2Rl_n

Anyway, I'm resting my case.

28 minutes ago, Messier-31 said:

Look who's talking.

As I said earlier, I've already been to the wiki's, but hey, "check out the wiki". 'cause y'know rif.

we read your wiki claims, and you going to the site is different than you actual reading.  if you had read wikis you woulda' realized such sources has a history section which provides timelines and major events o' all golarion from prehistoric to current. want more specific?  use links. takes 15 seconds to find such and nothing in the videos (other than purple prose and musical accompaniment) is superior to info from the wikis we found with near zero effort. 

giphy.gif

sheesh.

amusing thing is your list o' videos misses the only options which we would actual recommend for those too lazy to read:

etc.

y'know, the stuff from paizo.

but honest, just play the games and you get all the lore you need w/o needing deal with wikis or videos or splat books. as james jacobs mentions in one o' the linked videos, the best source o' lore for regions o' golarion is the adventure paths themselves.  however, if anybody is genuine looking for more info beyond the wikis, we would suggest the free player guide download for each adventure path.

example: 

https://paizo.com/products/btpy8tgl?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Anniversary-Edition-Players-Guide

HA! Good Fun!

ps to those contemplating purchase o' the gazetteers, we would avoid as most general information is readily available online. same info is in the wikis albeit without illustrations n' such. the inner sea primer, for example, is 36 pp o' dreck with even less detail than the wikis. primer includes every major nation o' the avistan continent but each 1/2  page entry is nothing but the most barebones descriptions.

sadly, the campaign setting book alone has more info than all the humblebundle linked stuff combined. converse, the updated campaign setting for 2e pathfinder is only marginal better than the inner sea primer as far as quality and depth is concerned, though as is typical for such splatbooks nowadays, the lost omens world guide (2e) also provides unique feats and backgrounds, so if you wanna incorporate such into your campaign...

On 12/16/2019 at 3:22 AM, Gromnir said:

...you got familiar d20 races, save that pathfinder elves is taller than humans... just to be different?

...Just to be Tolkien.  D&D was the one being different, I think. ;)

(Tolkien's elves were ~about six feet tall.)

Edited by Gizmo

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

...Just to be Tolkien.  D&D was the one being different, I think. ;)

probably don't wanna open that can o' worms. were tolkien trying to be different from shakespeare and folklore traditions in england at the time? woulda' had elves being presumptive diminutive. as a scholar who were knowledgeable in old norse, tolkien were clear influenced by ælf and ljósálfar, but while norse elves were pretty or fair as described in the prose edda, we don't recall a reference to being tall.

furthermore, individual tolkien elves may be tall, and perhaps tolkien thought o' elves as taller than men, but is no general comment elves is taller than humans in his mythology. tolkien didn't even explicit state elves had pointy-ears... is one line, somewheres in an appendix, which says "leaf-shaped" in reference to elf ears... and that is much different than pathfinder which has elf ears similar in shape and size as your typical chef knife blade. tolkien elves is pretty tending towards slender and grace. 

is even difficult to take few tolkien comments as gospel (unreliable narrator) as he says elves is beardless, then gives a number o' elves beards. 

none o' which matters as pathfinder origins is open-source d20... d&d.

pathfinder elves also have absence or minimal sclera. y'know, to be different.

so, thus is the long and pedantic response to an off-hand comment. regardless, am thinking tolkien gets too much credit for what he frequent didn't describe, or described poor. after all, tolkien were more concerned with getting names right and correct than bothering with prose and dialogue n' such. the name were the important part.

*groan*

HA! Good Fun!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Gromnir said:

use links. takes 15 seconds to find such and nothing in the videos (other than purple prose and musical accompaniment) is superior to info from the wikis we found with near zero effort. 

Me: can i haz link
You: gogle it

Thank for the rest. Happy Holidays

• Haha 1

so far has avelonne actually made any of his “Kickstarter” contributions?  Haven’t gotten my stories from pillars backing, the PKM hasn’t released the adventure path he was supposed to do and I don’t think he has released any work that he was supposed to with the torment game either.

anyone know why?

On 12/20/2019 at 4:26 AM, Messier-31 said:

Me: can i haz link
You: gogle it

Thank for the rest. Happy Holidays

you: i have links, but i can't be bothered to read them.

Gromnir: *gratuitous eye-roll*

you are welcome for the rest.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir