Pathfinder CRPG with Avellone and without Obsidian announced

will wait and see. got burned with the recent hype around sword coast legends, which turned out to be a turd.

there is some hope with CA, but I will wait for a gameplay before I will make any judgement.

Feels like Obs missed some opportunity, on the other hand I like PoE and Tyranny, and I hope these will thrive.

https://owlcatgames.com/

Thoughts?

I was sure this was going to be Obsidians thing :(

kingmaker is an existing pathfinder adventure series.  

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/kingmaker

for those curious

too many questions to be anticipating. there were a couple better-than-good adventures in the pnp series.

however, am (not genuinely) surprised. given the paizo-obsidian partnership announcement some time ago, the news o' a crpg pathfinder game not being developed by obsidian is... curious.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As few of you before, I am cautious after Sword Coast Legends. Especially, when I know, that Kingmaker is one of the most complex Adventure Paths by Paizo...

And I am also cautious about the cooperation with My.com

And still no words about Real Time or Turn Based combat. I might be in minority, but I somehow can't imagine Pathfinder beimg anythig else than Turn Based game :-/

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

My guess (based on nothing at all) is that My.com owns Owlcat

I'm not sure I'd give the first Pathfinder game to a brand new Russian studio but I guess that's why I don't get to make these kinds of decisions 

Keeping expectations very low for this as I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed 

Free games updated 3/4/21

As few of you before, I am cautious after Sword Coast Legends. Especially, when I know, that Kingmaker is one of the most complex Adventure Paths by Paizo...

And I am also cautious about the cooperation with My.com

And still no words about Real Time or Turn Based combat. I might be in minority, but I somehow can't imagine Pathfinder beimg anythig else than Turn Based game :-/

It's real time with pause.

Seems that Obsidian aen't getting projects that I think they should get, but I know nothing about video game business.

I wonder if they just didn't have a team available to do it

Seems weird to have some random company doing it after they had that Pathfinder survey

Edit- The Codex has more info with a few links

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

My guess (based on nothing at all) is that My.com owns Owlcat

I'm not sure I'd give the first Pathfinder game to a brand new Russian studio but I guess that's why I don't get to make these kinds of decisions 

Keeping expectations very low for this as I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed 

Its in the press release that Owlcat is owned by My.com.

About Owlcat Games

Owlcat Games is a video game developer. The studio was founded in 2016 as a part of pilot initiative of My.com. The team is led by veteran game designers behind Heroes of Might and Magic V, Silent Storm, Etherlords, Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul and other games. Team members also took part in the development of popular MMO titles, Allods Online and Skyforge. The first project unveiled by Owlcat Games is Pathfinder: Kingmaker, an isometric computer RPG based on the highly popular Pathfinder pen-and-paper roleplaying game by Paizo Inc.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

for those curious

too many questions to be anticipating. there were a couple better-than-good adventures in the pnp series.

While I was aware of the kingmaker AP, I wonder why they took exactly this one, given that it's very much like a sandbox afaik, in complete contrast to most of the other ones. I'm also wondering where there is a need for a lead writer when they will most likely just implement the AP. Unless there are huge additions in terms of content, what will avellone exactly contribute to an already existing storyline?

I take it they're drawing from the rulebooks for the companions like Amiri and Lem?

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

for those curious

While I was aware of the kingmaker AP, I wonder why they took exactly this one, given that it's very much like a sandbox afaik, in complete contrast to most of the other ones. I'm also wondering where there is a need for a lead writer when they will most likely just implement the AP. Unless there are huge additions in terms of content, what will avellone exactly contribute to an already existing storyline?

Dialogue, for one.

in the spirit o' full disclosure

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66652-pathfinder-crpg-by-obsidian/?p=1477353

we were always reserved 'bout the long term prospects o' the paizo-obsidian deal.

also, just as we criticized troika for making toee, am concerned 'bout kingmaker in spite o' the fact we like the series.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66652-pathfinder-crpg-by-obsidian/?p=1476523

even so, while our personal anticipation for toee were slight, we saw the potential business upside for atari.  toee were 'posed to be the first release o' a series o' streamlined d&d crpgs based 'pon classic tsr modules.  were 'posed to be quick developments.  troika... altered the plan.  am wondering if the old atari plan is being reinvigorated with a different developer.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's going to be interesting to see how development takes shape. I'll be watching from afar but probably not following its every move.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Helping with the narrative == consultant. Unless Avellone is the director, it might be missable. I guess it really depends on who the director is; Avellone had a supporting role in Mask of The Betrayer, and that was as good as P:T.

1aw3tiY.png

Well, I'll keep an eye on it and we'll see how it's shaping up closer to the finish line.  I guess my attitude toward this is cautiously optimistic.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's real time with pause.

Seems that Obsidian aen't getting projects that I think they should get, but I know nothing about video game business.

They don't have a team to work on it though, not to mention an another fantasy setting right now would be an overkill as they already have Tyranny DLC's and Pillars 2 coming up.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Excited about Avellone being involved, just concerned about the studio not having any experience. There have been some rather dodgy rpg's released recently by some small relatively unknown studios. The dwarves and Sword Coast come to mind.  I certainly don't have any high expectations even if CA is involved. Just hope he doesn't destroy his reputation over this.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Excited about Avellone being involved, just concerned about the studio not having any experience. There have been some rather dodgy rpg's released recently by some small relatively unknown studios. The dwarves and Sword Coast come to mind.  I certainly don't have any high expectations even if CA is involved. Just hope he doesn't destroy his reputation over this.

What reputation? He seems to work on any game that he is asked to work on at this point. His career at the moment seems to be more of a glorified KS stretch goal than an actual narrative designer.

I would love him to focus on a project or two, instead of writing for multiple games at once. Then I could actually expect something from a game he is working on, instead of wondering how little work he actually did on the project and how he was paid and used to get some name recognition for the game. 

Hate the living, love the dead.

I find this news very interesting because I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder world as well as 3.5 edition D&D, but I do wonder about the reputation (or lack thereof) of the developer. And I do think Obsidian is making a big mistake by walking away from doing a Pathfinder cRPG themselves, though I applaud them for not standing in the way of Paizo going to someone else.

As for the game being "generic," yeah maybe so except for one thing. The press release makes a big point of emphasizing the game as being not just a standard isometric party-based cRPG but also equally a "kingdom-builder" game. This is the aspect of the game that I am most attracted to as I LOVE kingdom/empire-builder games in high-fantasy/medieval settings. This aspect of this game does give it a unique/different dimension and separates it from the crowd.

I'm keeping my expectations contained, but I'm also vigorously rooting for its success.

• Like 1