Freedom?

Ben No.3

Only dogs are free. They can piss or screw in public and no one cares!

Leash laws, licensing laws, et al everywhere says otherwise.

Not where I live brother. I do have to buy them a license every year but leash laws and "no dogs allowed" signs do not exist here. I can have a bonfire in my yard, shoot my rifle from my porch or play my music as loud as I care to. I wouldn't call it heaven on earth but it's certainly better than a lot of places.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No need to be so enigmatic, please explain how my views aren't my own?

Hint #1... Ask yourself, why do you hold the views you do? Were you raised to have those views, did you step out of the other side of bed one morning and had a different set of world views, did something happen in life that gave you certain views, etc. Keep asking the question and answer yourself honestly why you have those views (don't need to share them with anyone than yourself). If you think deep enough about it, you might just realise that very few of those views are your own, it's assumed views which you have taken upon yourself. For me, the key question is, Why did I do that? and what/who was behind it? (individuals, organisations, some gestalt "entity" etc.). I ask myself such questions all the time.

I have a relevant response, I enjoy these chats with you Gorthfucious  :geek:

At the  premise you right in the sense nothing I know or believe is uniquely my own views  but this is exactly what I would expect and rely on 

Mankind has been growing and improving for thousands of years and its due to this history and numerous mistakes that allow us nowadays to believe and support certain laws and views. I like the fact we have become enlightened about how to create sustainable  economies and how we support Democracies

So going back to your overall point, yes I know what I believe is not my own original thoughts and ideology but that doesnt mean its not something that offers us a better way of living and interacting in the global world 

Another way of making my point would be " what thinking or views would be better than believing in things like human rights and trying to reduce poverty levels and ensuring we live countries that offer Democratic governments " ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let's get a little philosophical.

To you, what is freedom?

I will get very philosophical then:

I think total freedom is reaching the point where you can act without fear, be it of some external force or of something in yourself, your future or your past. 

• Like 1