Freedom?

Ben No.3

To invade your safe space and laugh about it.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The destruction of the state and reorganization under non-hierarchial confederates where automation handles most labor.

To invade your safe space and laugh about it.

Okay Genghis.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

am reasonably certain we ain't ever replied to ben.  will likely be last such response.

smidgen sweary

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Only dogs are free. They can piss or screw in public and no one cares!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Freedom is proclaiming this 

is superior to this

then coming to my senses and reversing.

...Only now I'm not sure anymore.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Freedom is many things and will mean different things to people, I can understand some members think freedom in the year 2017 is an illusion

But its real and we should not take it granted. I would argue anyone living in countries that are Democracies should absolutely understand they live in a fee society...for example

• You have freedom  to vote for who you want
  • You have free media
  • You can criticize your government
  • You have freedom of religion
  • Your  human rights are enshrined and protected legally through constitutions 

The list goes on and on 

Seriously, how can most of us  on this forum not agree we live in free societies ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

how can most of us  on this forum not agree we live in free societies ?

Oh Bruce, you made that one too easy. Are you truly free if your opinion and your values aren't really your own?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

how can most of us  on this forum not agree we live in free societies ?

Oh Bruce, you made that one too easy. Are you truly free if your opinion and your values aren't really your own?

How do you define   " my opinions and values aren't your own " 

I support laws and numerous  government  institutions, I agree with paying tax, I support order and societal campaigns to improve the living conditions of citizens 

So Im unsure how my views aren't my own?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's a start. Still a long way to go, but it's a start :)
  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:lol:

No need to be so enigmatic, please explain how my views aren't my own?

John Milton 

Hint #1... Ask yourself, why do you hold the views you do? Were you raised to have those views, did you step out of the other side of bed one morning and had a different set of world views, did something happen in life that gave you certain views, etc. Keep asking the question and answer yourself honestly why you have those views (don't need to share them with anyone than yourself). If you think deep enough about it, you might just realise that very few of those views are your own, it's assumed views which you have taken upon yourself. For me, the key question is, Why did I do that? and what/who was behind it? (individuals, organisations, some gestalt "entity" etc.). I ask myself such questions all the time.
  • Like 1

Let's get a little philosophical.

To you, what is freedom?

It's your personal free time when nobody restrict you, when you can do whatever you want + high spending power when all your basic necessities are satisfied. In result you can use your free time for creativity, art etc. More such free time without lowering of living standards ( become unemployed is not same thing as become free ) = more freedom . After Revolution  of 1917 Bolshevicks first in the world reduce work time from 12 hours  per day to 8 hours per day - by this they increase freedom of people ( and capitalists has been forced do same thing later for avoiding similar rebellions ). All modern talks about freedom as freedom of opressors elections is just substitution of concepts.

understand they live in a fee society

Yep.

Well spotted and ironic I suppose  8)

John Milton 

Hint #1... Ask yourself, why do you hold the views you do? Were you raised to have those views, did you step out of the other side of bed one morning and had a different set of world views, did something happen in life that gave you certain views, etc. Keep asking the question and answer yourself honestly why you have those views (don't need to share them with anyone than yourself). If you think deep enough about it, you might just realise that very few of those views are your own, it's assumed views which you have taken upon yourself. For me, the key question is, Why did I do that? and what/who was behind it? (individuals, organisations, some gestalt "entity" etc.). I ask myself such questions all the time.

Okay, I see your point. I need time to think about this and compose my response 

John Milton