Confirmed: Eric Fenstermaker is writing Eder

Edér was pretty well written though, and I like that we're getting a consistent writing style for the character.

• Like 7

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Eder is "down to earth" in a very honest way, that also takes into account his back story. You can get a sense of his appreciation for finding noble cause to join that will enable him to search for information on his brother. Even if you play a "baddie" you are still pursing a somewhat noble quest at a high level, just your low level methods might be harsh. A lot of the other characters, while good people, seem to some degree a bit more likely to justify the means to an ends. Eder seems less of the case, but he is written in a way that his strikingly humble and true to himself in a way that simply "works" in relation to himself and the party's mission as a whole. Truth be told, in PoE, most companions are surprisingly "aligned good" which I like. But character writing plays a lot into understanding their psyche and feelings towards things.

I can't really think of other crpg characters where this particular balance is struck. Too often you get "hyper paragon" characters "jaded lawful/jaded good" types. Eder finds this really compelling balance that deals with the messiness of a messy world. He's also interesting in that you can't really have atheist in this world, but he's sort of lapsed believer who is trying salvage the notion of morals. He turns morals into that which a kith upholds for oneself instead of that which is uphold for favor from a god. He's going through this transformation where he is finding it more noble to uphold morals from within.

It makes me all the more interested to see how things pan out for him as we pursue Eothas and the other gods. Does he transcend the gods? Does he crack and run back to believing kith need them. Does he personally need them? Or does it lose faith in kith being able to live properly without them? Why are there gods in the first place, what truly is there role in the world?

Man I'm so so so excited!!!!

• Like 5

Serafen seems kind of chaotic neutral (to use a DnD term) and Maia is probably neutralish. While the returning companions are definetly 'good aligned', they'll be complicated by various goals that may conflict with others ideas of what is 'good'. Durance doesn't really fit into the 'good aligned' as some would say that he is a hero while others would say he is a war criminal, but he's just a complicated person.

PoE1 doesn't go into any sort of conflict between good and evil, and we can expect the same of PoE2: DeadFire.

Durance doesn't really fit into the 'good aligned' as some would say that he is a hero while others would say he is a war criminal, but he's just a complicated person.

Durance is a typical ideologue. Most people, even those who purport to subscribe to a particular ideology, mostly rely on their gut emotions to make moral decisions. Find someone who is an vocal adherent to a strong religion, say, and you'll usually find something they believe which is in opposition to their religion, and if you raise this with them the vast majority will either become emotionally defensive or start doing mental gymnastics to try and justify their belief. It's rare to find someone who will respond by changing their belief to fit with their ideology, and Durance is an example of such a rare person.

What makes Durance a well written character, in my opinion, is that, although he gives the outward appearance of being utterly convicted, we learn through his story arc that it is a struggle for him. This makes him deeper and more interesting than he otherwise might have been.

• Like 4

I'm worried about these news. Eric Fenstermaker is responsible for a lot of lore dumps in PoE:

It's too verbose in many places. The beginning was egregious. I'm to blame for a lot of that.

As we can read in RPG Codex Interview with him.

Oh no, it seems he's quite aware of that, oh no.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'm worried about these news. Eric Fenstermaker is responsible for a lot of lore dumps in PoE:

It's too verbose in many places. The beginning was egregious. I'm to blame for a lot of that.

As we can read in RPG Codex Interview with him.

Oh no, it seems he's quite aware of that, oh no.

That's just the first step.

Vancian =/= per rest.