Confirmed: Eric Fenstermaker is writing Eder

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post472394599

No one pointed this out, but...

a possible hint that Fenstermaker might be on board now?

Crossing fingers that's what it means and that it's not just an in-joke over at Obsidian's offices.

It is an in-joke, but EFens has signed on to write Edér.
Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 10

Great news!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Oh my... oh dear.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I thought they'd have started writing the text for the companions and others by now, or at least making drafts.

There is a difference between general plot points, general characterizations. And then charting out every nuance of dialogue direction due to player decision making, and actual writing out the exact lines with the proper character voice.

In fact, if you can't implement what you had planned to implement. The writing is the best way to warp to those changes. The trick is to still get compelling dialogue out of the final variation of the game, which may not be locked in until rather late in development.

• Like 2

I thought they'd have started writing the text for the companions and others by now, or at least making drafts.

Companions are typically among the last things to be written in an Obsidian RPG.

They said they are writing the companions alongside the main story this time to make them more integrated in the story...or something along those lines.

Never heard of him. :p

Well, I don't know if you're serious or not but he had the biggest writing role in PoE1. If you or anyone else hadn't heard of him its probably partly cos of Obs used more well known devs on marketing/panels etc despite they may have had lesser roles in the development of PoE.

Well, I don't know if you're serious or not but he had the biggest writing role in PoE1. If you or anyone else hadn't heard of him its probably partly cos of Obs used more well known devs on marketing/panels etc despite they may have had lesser roles in the development of PoE.

Okay, he's a writer. I'm still not clear why all the excitement.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Many consider him a very good game writer; he was writing lead in Pillars 1 and also contributed in previous Obsidian games. That's it.

I thought Eder was well written in PoE 1, so if the same guy is writing him for PoE 2 that's good news, regardless of the fact that I've never heard of him before.

• Like 3

He has fans. That's why. An obscure RPG game writer from a mid-tier company actually has fans of his work who are excited about his presence working on a game.

It's really not that complicated.

• Like 2

so, another new father realizes there is far less magic related to child rearing than they woulda' hoped?  babies is notoriously weak conversationalists.  have yet to hear a baby contribute anything memorable to a discussion 'bout literature, art or politics. also, the most salient qualities o' any baby is as follows: feculent and inconsiderate. in an adult such qualities is rare acceptable and never appreciated. p00p and cry. cry and p00p. sure, chris avellone got away with that kinda behaviour for a few years, but his coworkers could escape from him at the end o' the day. for parents there is a 24/7 obligation stretching at least eighteen years into the future. eric is no doubt social compelled to craft lies 'bout the joys o' childrearing, but am guessing he is needing some kinda outlet lest he go all shawshank. wouldn't be surprised if he begged feargus to let him contribute to poe2.  anything to end the monotony o' cleaning human waste and having one-sided conversations with a creature a bit less intelligent than the average border collie. 

kidding.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah having babies is overrated imho unless you are the baby being have'd.  Biological impulses compelling us to dress up **** in pretty coloured nappies. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

so, another new father realizes there is far less magic related to child rearing than they woulda' hoped?  babies is notoriously weak conversationalists.  have yet to hear a baby contribute anything memorable to a discussion 'bout literature, art or politics. also, the most salient qualities o' any baby is as follows: feculent and inconsiderate. in an adult such qualities is rare acceptable and never appreciated. p00p and cry. cry and p00p. sure, chris avellone got away with that kinda behaviour for a few years, but his coworkers could escape from him at the end o' the day. for parents there is a 24/7 obligation stretching at least eighteen years into the future. eric is no doubt social compelled to craft lies 'bout the joys o' childrearing, but am guessing he is needing some kinda outlet lest he go all shawshank. wouldn't be surprised if he begged feargus to let him contribute to poe2.  anything to end the monotony o' cleaning human waste and having one-sided conversations with a creature a bit less intelligent than the average border collie. 

kidding.

HA! Good Fun!

Dude, you should be ashamed.  Border Collies are better conversationalists than your average baby, trust me, I know.

well, in our defense, we never actual spoke to the conversational abilities o' border collies.  however, we did give the canines an edge in intelligence when compared to human infants.

might not be fair as we suspect the average border collie has better problem solving and critical thinking skills than a few regular message board posters hereabouts.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

sure, chris avellone got away with that kinda behaviour for a few years,

:banana:

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus