Politics 2017 Act 6

Confirmation bias. You remember hearing about artists who are crazy, no one goes 'oh that Rembrandt fellow was totally normal'.

The one I personally have seen and felt is with the drugs, I was lifeless it felt. Going thru motions. Bland.

I much preferred that to how I felt before them, and honestly most of the time that goes away with time. For me anyway, these drugs affect everyone differently.
  • Like 2

Confirmation bias. You remember hearing about artists who are crazy, no one goes 'oh that Rembrandt fellow was totally normal'.

The one I personally have seen and felt is with the drugs, I was lifeless it felt. Going thru motions. Bland.

I much preferred that to how I felt before them, and honestly most of the time that goes away with time. For me anyway, these drugs affect everyone differently.

I fully agree. People will have to do different things/routes bc people react differently. Unfortunately there's no "right" way that will work on everyone the same.

Bad days are bad, we gotta do what we can to get thru those days/weeks/months intact and know how to smile afterwards.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/b_MiliNfssvbFfCMFjla5w--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NTI5/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/769c690d6dcf88d23172174ac8d3bc36

lol

As much as I'd turned against Boehner when he was Speaker, I really wish he was Speaker now, he was so much better than Ryan:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boehner-trumps-term-disaster-aside-foreign-affairs-151200072--politics.html

He makes very realistic assessments.

Edit: You don't have to be in the House to be Speaker, dumb Repubes should get on it right away.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

That only leaves you with having to prove that suffering artists produce art more efficiently than happy artists.

Efficiency is the wrong word, but rather quality and creative impulses. 

Still only seeing an assertion with no proof.

I can not offer any personal story, but pretty much high marks music, art and litterature (Milton's Paradise Lost, The Beatles, Van Gogh, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, T.S. Elliot, etc) were made during times when the artists were depressed or suffered. Anti-depressants as such alleviates such strong emotions required for a work of artist to be as visceral as it is. It doesn't shut the door to the dark inner world, but it muddles it's meaning to something grey not worth allocating to an idea.

That being said, it works wonders on people who need it to be able to work everyday work. 

Artists stories are often big part of their work, which is why those artists that are known by everybody often have quite colorful lives. 

But also suffering is relative, like for example Van Gogh, one could argue that he was artist suffering from mental illness that drive him to self destruction and self harm who sold only one painting during his life. But he was also man who didn't actually earn a cent during his life and was still able to travel around Europe, go to brothels, bars, and so on regularly, because his life was paid by others who for various reasons supported his hippy life style. 

And there is also artists like Picasso, who found their greatness and thing that marks them in history books after they have gained fortune and good life. As Picasso become rich with good quality portraits other paintings, but he is remembered by painting style that he invented after he was already rich and respected artist.

And there are artist like Tolkien whose path to world fame was in middle of suffering and good life. Tolkien fought in WWI, which is the suffering part, but then he was respected English professor with steady income that let him to write books that he wanted to write.

Perhaps, but better use some other example as rembrandt painting his best paintings when his wife and 4 of his children died.

That only leaves you with having to prove that suffering artists produce art more efficiently than happy artists.

Efficiency is the wrong word, but rather quality and creative impulses. 

Still only seeing an assertion with no proof.

I can not offer any personal story, but pretty much high marks music, art and litterature (Milton's Paradise Lost, The Beatles, Van Gogh, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, T.S. Elliot, etc) were made during times when the artists were depressed or suffered. Anti-depressants as such alleviates such strong emotions required for a work of artist to be as visceral as it is. It doesn't shut the door to the dark inner world, but it muddles it's meaning to something grey not worth allocating to an idea.

That being said, it works wonders on people who need it to be able to work everyday work. 

Artists stories are often big part of their work, which is why those artists that are known by everybody often have quite colorful lives. 

But also suffering is relative, like for example Van Gogh, one could argue that he was artist suffering from mental illness that drive him to self destruction and self harm who sold only one painting during his life. But he was also man who didn't actually earn a cent during his life and was still able to travel around Europe, go to brothels, bars, and so on regularly, because his life was paid by others who for various reasons supported his hippy life style. 

And there is also artists like Picasso, who found their greatness and thing that marks them in history books after they have gained fortune and good life. As Picasso become rich with good quality portraits other paintings, but he is remembered by painting style that he invented after he was already rich and respected artist.

And there are artist like Tolkien whose path to world fame was in middle of suffering and good life. Tolkien fought in WWI, which is the suffering part, but then he was respected English professor with steady income that let him to write books that he wanted to write.

The suffering of one is not comparable to the suffering of others, true. But objectively speaking they had a suffering and personal demons and they channeled that to their craft beautifully. Maybe i should've framed it differently as i wasn't talking about mental illness, but the boundry between the two are thin when it comes to creative types.

Also Picasso, lol. Perhaps the most boring paintings that there is so it fits that he was a happy kinda guy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Eh...Picasso's sister died of diphtheria when he was a boy which greatly effected him; his blue period started from depression triggered by the suicide of a friend.

If you look at any artist you'll find shares of highs and lows...not because they're artists but because most of the famous artist are typically being looked at years after they've passed on and you can catalogue their experiences of a type.  Everyone's life has success and tragedy.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh...Picasso's sister died of diphtheria when he was a boy which greatly effected him; his blue period started from depression triggered by the suicide of a friend.

If you look at any artist you'll find shares of highs and lows...not because they're artists but because most of the famous artist are typically being looked at years after they've passed on and you can catalogue their experiences of a type.  Everyone's life has success and tragedy.

If he only had gotten some pills then he would've painted much better.

I have derailed long enough, carry on.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

When I was growing up corporal punishment was fairly common. My parents practiced it albeit sparingly. It was commonplace in public schools. It isn't effective. But not for the reason most people think. It's ineffective because kids figure out early on they can't hit you hard enough to really hurt you. And it's over really quick. I remember I got into a fight in 4th Grade. The punishment was a choice of the paddle of a 3 day suspension. That was an easy choice. I didn't have to tell my parents I was paddled. Staying home for three days would require a more detailed explanation. It was the same thing at home. Would I rather get three licks with the belt or not be able to play outside for a week. That's another no brainer. "C'mon Dad let's get this over with. I'm going to play ball".

"and that's so you remember it."

am not having a strong opinion.  most o' our enlightened friends seem to think any kinda corporal punishment is unnecessary and evil. doesn't sound right to us.  never got corporal punishment in school, other than having to hold dictionaries aloft with arms outstretched.  effective. we did receive extreme rare whoopins as a child, and am thinking we deserved most of 'em. whatever abuse we suffered as a child were not the result o' physical punishments.

*shrug*

only posted 'cause we had an oblique kinda excuse to post the scene from kingdom of heaven

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Perhaps, but better use some other example as rembrandt painting his best paintings when his wife and 4 of his children died.

Research suggests that even if it's true, it's far from typical.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

In Montana The republican candidate Gianforte defeated the democrat and libertarian candidates for the vacancy in the state's sole congressional seat.

I hear it was a slam dunk.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think I hope Trump denies the Paris agreement. Not because I don't care about the impact to climate (even though I don't recycle), but more along the lines of the strings that would be attached. Before looking into the EU, I would be eh go for it, but seeing what comes along and pushed and forced and what happens when you don't want to comply, I think it would be a good idea for the USA to stay outta it. We have enough (sane and crazy) people and drive for cleaner environment here in the USA. Just imagining those same people FORCING everyone to do crazy **** to help out the environment and businesses being businesses would find a way to hit our pockets....no thank you.

International agreements are just asking for nazism. Outside of 1 to 1 negotiations I'd stay out of them ebcause with multiple countries invovled it can lead to  nonsense like the EU now trying to steal from britian and destroy. I bet the EU is happy about the latest bombing in Manchester. That is how evil they are.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

btw, the trump budget would cut fed aid to pine ridge by 50%.  

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89152-the-us-election-2016-part-vii/?p=1844961

the tribe invested in bitcoin a few years ago.  we thought it were an idiotic venture at the time.  gonna need check to see if the oglala benefitted from the recent bitcoin explosion.  wouldn't be enough to cover the loss o' fed funds, but it might help.

oh, and throwing oil on the fire...

http://www.startribune.com/apnewsbreak-2-more-leaks-found-along-dakota-access-pipeline/423678613/

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think I hope Trump denies the Paris agreement. Not because I don't care about the impact to climate (even though I don't recycle), but more along the lines of the strings that would be attached. Before looking into the EU, I would be eh go for it, but seeing what comes along and pushed and forced and what happens when you don't want to comply, I think it would be a good idea for the USA to stay outta it. We have enough (sane and crazy) people and drive for cleaner environment here in the USA. Just imagining those same people FORCING everyone to do crazy **** to help out the environment and businesses being businesses would find a way to hit our pockets....no thank you.

Retreating from Paris is not as easy as signing an executive action.

It would take 4 years and make US a international pariah.

He might just effectively weaken it into complete irrelevance instead.

Most of it is non-binding wishful thinking anyway.

the tribe invested in bitcoin a few years ago. we thought it were an idiotic venture at the time. gonna need check to see if the oglala benefitted from the recent bitcoin explosion. wouldn't be enough to cover the loss o' fed funds, but it might help.

http://www.startribune.com/apnewsbreak-2-more-leaks-found-along-dakota-access-pipeline/423678613/

Used to live near Cherokee, it used to be busy when I was a kid and the Indians in their outfits doing the fake Indian how, used to love it. Before video games and internet came along, used to love it. Be like driving thru a John Wayne Western.

90s and u could tell times got bad quick.

I'm shocked how I feel thinking about it because I've come to view the reservation as a business more than a land of people. Maybe I'm not knowing something or just looking realistically.

Now they own lands that are not subject to laws/regulations of America, but u are surrounded by America. No way out. They used to own all the land, but we invaded and took it from them. Horrible genocide and we halfassidly apologize by giving you plots of land to do whatever u want. But it's your land so it up to you what happens to it.

I'm against the pipe because we have no right to being there.

Its THEIR land, not ours.

That aside, I feel it's on them if they do or die. They can even move and become a citizen, enjoy the perks and benefits of education, job options, etc. Hell even pick trades, goods, services and bring it back to your land.

But your land, that's it. It ain't getting any bigger, so u have to worry about your land being over populated. Only so much area. ****s gone down hill? You gotta do what you gotta do, it's sink or swim. It's their problem. It goes south? Hard to feel as sorry. I do feel bad but not enough to do anything about except be mad when we break the rules. I ain't worried when they break the rules as much because everyone knew, them and us, that the game was rigged from the start.

• Like 1

the tribe invested in bitcoin a few years ago. we thought it were an idiotic venture at the time. gonna need check to see if the oglala benefitted from the recent bitcoin explosion. wouldn't be enough to cover the loss o' fed funds, but it might help.

Used to live near Cherokee, it used to be busy when I was a kid and the Indians in their outfits doing the fake Indian how, used to love it. Before video games and internet came along, used to love it. Be like driving thru a John Wayne Western.

90s and u could tell times got bad quick.

I'm shocked how I feel thinking about it because I've come to view the reservation as a business more than a land of people. Maybe I'm not knowing

Come  now my friend, its okay to just chat to Gromnir without playing the old " I am a white person who also use to live on the reserve "  ....what next, did you use to hunt and set snares ... :p

I like and respect Gromnir but its not because I am generally drawn to intellectualism or his indefatigable manner to debate for days . No, in fact sometimes those debates  become tedious because no one really follows them and people like Zora refuse to accept they are indisputably " anti-Western " , nothing wrong with being that ....other people are honest and it makes no difference to the reality of the world? But just acknowledge you are anti-western?

No for me Gromnir is one of those people that due to certain circumstances has been on a great and arduous life journey. its not something most of us will even attempt to start as most people lose their way and forget what the objective was. But that understanding of the end of this mental  journey is a clarity of certain truisms in life and sense of acceptance of what actually matters 

That can  never be lost and makes a person see the world in a much better way :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I actually have hunted and set snares lol. Used to trap rabbits and squirrels as a kid.

Never lived on the reserve, lived bout 20 mins away. I miss the mountains.

What's wrong with me chatting with gromnir? That's like saying I shouldn't chat with you?

I hope you take this all tongue in cheek?

• Like 1

the tribe invested in bitcoin a few years ago.  we thought it were an idiotic venture at the time.  gonna need check to see if the oglala benefitted from the recent bitcoin explosion.  wouldn't be enough to cover the loss o' fed funds, but it might help.

If you have any pull with them tell them to get out right now.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you have any pull with them tell them to get out right now.

we got almost as much pull as would trump at a greenpeace event.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Well well politics. I am from Finland Europe. Me what am I? I guess you could say capitalist since I am landlord (but I am not filthy rich not bragging here).

In addition I am not so much for open immigrant polictics my political party is True FInns and they are against immigrants.

As a teaser this musicvideo however take it easy I am not nazi but FInland was allied with NAZI Germany vs Russia in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDhkFHC8tO4&list=RDMMyDhkFHC8tO4

Heh, Comment I overheard someone mention:

"I think Trump has ruined blondes for me." - My 10 year old

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-28/trump-ducks-reporter-questions-on-trip-only-g-7-leader-to-do-so

At a meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu, a reporter asked the Israeli prime minister if he still trusted U.S. authorities with sensitive intelligence following reports that Trump had shared secret intel from Israel with the Russians during an Oval Office meeting. Trump stepped up to insist he’d never said the word “Israel” in his talks with Russian officials -- effectively confirming that nation as the source of the information.

am no longer shocked by trumpastophes and trumpagedies, but the kinda relative minor trump-trips is what catch us off-guard.  each such gaffe is paradoxical unpredictable and expected. you know trump is gonna say something ridiculous, which his core followers will inevitable dismiss as trump being "real" or "trump being trump."  *insert eye roll here* the chances o' trump making a foolish ejaculation during a given week must needs be approaching 100%.  even so, while is a certainty the president will public share his cringe-worthiness, the specific blunder(s) continue to shock us. 

took dan quayle years to bumble and stumble his way to a far less impressive catalog o' buffoonery.  

am feeling like we slipped into a coen brothers film.  less funny than raising arizona, but not yet quite as dark as no country for old men.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir