Politics 2017 Act 6

Most artists of yesterday would be diagnosed as having a mental deficiency today. While mass medication of ADHD/ADD/depression/anxiety might save lives, it seems to curb the explosive creative energies that come from suffering artists. You get some, you lose some.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But then we got that era where every kid had to medicated bc of ADHD/add/etc when before parents just beat ur ass until u straitened up

Yes, the old fashioned way was just perfect. Getting my literal ass kicked when the teacher said I had trouble paying attention in school totally did something to fix that problem. It didn't leave me a crippled, suicidal adult that needs several types of medication and major therapy just to survive, let alone function. Not at all. :ermm:

It did for me, thankfully I had a great dad that was firm with the belt but brutally and honest in his wisdom. "It's up to you to figure out how to be happy while following the rules of life, you got a problem then figure out how to fix it or learn how to cope while not acting the fool." He never tolerated the "playing the victim". You can either accept and let something hinder you or you can live life and fight for your happiness/calm for the rest of your life.

Because of ass whippings and tough love, he's been more help than medication and therapists for me.

But then we got that era where every kid had to medicated bc of ADHD/add/etc when before parents just beat ur ass until u straitened up

Yes, the old fashioned way was just perfect. Getting my literal ass kicked when the teacher said I had trouble paying attention in school totally did something to fix that problem. It didn't leave me a crippled, suicidal adult that needs several types of medication and major therapy just to survive, let alone function. Not at all. :ermm:

It did for me, thankfully I had a great dad that was firm with the belt but brutally and honest in his wisdom. "It's up to you to figure out how to be happy while following the rules of life, you got a problem then figure out how to fix it or learn how to cope while not acting the fool." He never tolerated the "playing the victim". You can either accept and let something hinder you or you can live life and fight for your happiness/calm for the rest of your life.

Because of ass whippings and tough love, he's been more help than medication and therapists for me.

Have you been diagnosed with a mental illness?

The Democrats lost another election last night. In Montana The republican candidate Gianforte defeated the democrat and libertarian candidates for the vacancy in the state's sole congressional seat. Now the twist is he did this after assaulting and beating the heck out of a reporter a few days ago. Now, generally the Democrats no freedom Big Brother Government Control Your Life shtick does not play well in western states. But the Dems generally do OK in Montana. The fact that they could not even beat a felon certainly is another indicator of how low they have fallen. If it's any consolation Gianforte will not even be the biggest dirtbag in the estimable body he s about to join.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Democrats lost another election last night. In Montana The republican candidate Gianforte defeated the democrat and libertarian candidates for the vacancy in the state's sole congressional seat. Now the twist is he did this after assaulting and beating the heck out of a reporter a few days ago. Now, generally the Democrats no freedom Big Brother Government Control Your Life shtick does not play well in western states. But the Dems generally do OK in Montana. The fact that they could not even beat a felon certainly is another indicator of how low they have fallen. If it's any consolation Gianforte will not even be the biggest dirtbag in the estimable body he s about to join.

Surprised a felon can even run. They can't vote, right?

Also were a lot of early voters so they were locked in

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

While mass medication of ADHD/ADD/depression/anxiety might save lives, it seems to curb the explosive creative energies that come from suffering artists. 

[citation needed]

Yay for child abuse I guess?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

While mass medication of ADHD/ADD/depression/anxiety might save lives, it seems to curb the explosive creative energies that come from suffering artists. 

[citation needed]

I see it as a fair assesment that drugs who dulls the senses for for which suffering is experienced also weakens the capability to express them creatively. For the same reason as drugs like alcohol and LSD seems to temporarily heighten them.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well... technically he's not. He wasn't convicted of anything yet. And I suspect that reporter will be "persuaded" not to press charges one way or another. Of course if someone like you or i tried that we'd already have been arraigned. Probably with a black eye and bloody lip and an additional charge of assaulting a police officer by hitting his fist with our face.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Have you been diagnosed with a mental illness?

Yes.

Not to belittle your experience, we just have a situation where same action brought different results.

[citation needed]

I see it as a fair assesment that drugs who dulls the senses for for which suffering is experienced also weakens the capability to express them creatively. For the same reason as drugs like alcohol and LSD seems to temporarily heighten them.

That only leaves you with having to prove that suffering artists produce art more efficiently than happy artists.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

[citation needed]

Not child abuse, I was never abused. Granted I grew up in a time that wasn't as "safety" restricted as now.

https://youtu.be/g01_MH5O_J8

Well... technically he's not. He wasn't convicted of anything yet. And I suspect that reporter will be "persuaded" not to press charges one way or another. Of course if someone like you or i tried that we'd already have been arraigned. Probably with a black eye and bloody lip and an additional charge of assaulting a police officer by hitting his fist with our face.

Okay, don't know much of him so thought he was a felon. Was funny watching some talking heads defend him, saying passions run high and the reporter was snarky so..it was understandable to assault him.

Meshback reasoning at its finest :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

[citation needed]

Not child abuse, I was never abused. 

I'm reasonably sure that beating a kid with a belt falls under the dictionary definition of child abuse, even if the law doesn't care.

Nope it's not when done right. Not even against the law here either.

There is a difference between a spanking/ass whupping and child abuse.

And most importantly if it's your child or not lol.

This is politics thread so won't detail anymore with old fashion discipline :)

Edited by redneckdevil

[citation needed]

That only leaves you with having to prove that suffering artists produce art more efficiently than happy artists.

Efficiency is the wrong word, but rather quality and creative impulses. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Still only seeing an assertion with no proof.

I agree with Mesh for overall. The one I personally have seen and felt is with the drugs, I was lifeless it felt. Going thru motions. Bland. My friends who were fine would take my meds and it was like taking a couple lines of coke.

So I agree with Mesh for the ones who were taking the meds for their problems, the ones who were taking the meds WITHOUT the problems I'd dare say would help be more creative.

I agree with Mesh for overall. The one I personally have seen and felt is with the drugs, I was lifeless it felt. Going thru motions. Bland. My friends who were fine would take my meds and it was like taking a couple lines of coke.

So I agree with Mesh for the ones who were taking the meds for their problems, the ones who were taking the meds WITHOUT the problems I'd dare say would help be more creative.

It seems like the usual "I don't follow or understand contemporary art therefore everything in it must be crap" gibberish with a side order of uncomfortable assertions about artists and people with mental problems and "psychiatric medication is bad, mkay" from where I'm standing.

• Like 1

All artists I know abuse one drug or another soo...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Okay, don't know much of him so thought he was a felon. Was funny watching some talking heads defend him, saying passions run high and the reporter was snarky so..it was understandable to assault him.

Meshback reasoning at its finest :lol:

Not knowing the dude or which side he's on, I can sympathize. I'm sure the ones who are not bothered with it besides the ones who are blind zeolists, are people who have work ****ty jobs with the public such as retail.

When someone has to act a certain way and the other person is not held to those same restrictions and said person knows they can act a certain way and do alot to get a rise/catch off guard/bait/etc....you can sympathize.

Doesn't make it right, but alot of actions that are wrong u can live with and even feel a helluva lot better afterwards :)

We all know reporters lie, annoying, aggressive, backstab, etc so when one finally goes over the line or ends up being the one because another reporter went over the line...right or wrong, myself I'm gonna nod and say good job.

I'd say the same towards a lawyer, tax collector, etc.

When I was growing up corporal punishment was fairly common. My parents practiced it albeit sparingly. It was commonplace in public schools. It isn't effective. But not for the reason most people think. It's ineffective because kids figure out early on they can't hit you hard enough to really hurt you. And it's over really quick. I remember I got into a fight in 4th Grade. The punishment was a choice of the paddle of a 3 day suspension. That was an easy choice. I didn't have to tell my parents I was paddled. Staying home for three days would require a more detailed explanation. It was the same thing at home. Would I rather get three licks with the belt or not be able to play outside for a week. That's another no brainer. "C'mon Dad let's get this over with. I'm going to play ball".

Thomas Sowell

It seems like the usual "I don't follow or understand contemporary art therefore everything in it must be crap" gibberish with a side order of uncomfortable assertions about artists and people with mental problems and "psychiatric medication is bad, mkay" from where I'm standing.

Art is subjective, it's crap to some and masterpieces to other and to the rest they don't care.

It's okay, from where I'm standing it looks like ur post was whining with self righteous know it all tone :)

But u can bring sources where it has helped and I can bring plenty when it didn't :) it's not cut n dry

Thing is, the mandate is what allows the Exchanges etc to work. You can't operate an insurance syndicate where the only people who get your product is the ones who will use it the most. Only the "high risk" people would pay into the system and bankrupt it faster than lightning. It's why companies had things like pre-existing conditions built into their systems prior to the ACA.

You remove the mandate and every insurance company that takes part will fall apart faster than Trump's administration. The biggest problem was that the bill artifically killed competition because of the "lines around the states" (as Donald put it), meaning that your options were significantly smaller.

The mandate isn't really effective though, which is the biggest reason Ocare is failing. My solution is deny coverage for pre-existing conditions for 2 years to anyone who fails to get insurance when they first become eligible.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Still only seeing an assertion with no proof.

I can not offer any personal story, but pretty much high marks music, art and litterature (Milton's Paradise Lost, The Beatles, Van Gogh, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, T.S. Elliot, etc) were made during times when the artists were depressed or suffered. Anti-depressants as such alleviates such strong emotions required for a work of artist to be as visceral as it is. It doesn't shut the door to the dark inner world, but it muddles it's meaning to something grey not worth allocating to an idea.

That being said, it works wonders on people who need it to be able to work everyday work. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy