The relationship between Obsidian and Chris Avellone

Howdy folks,

I'm a long-time fan of Obsidian and Mr. Avellone and was disheartened to hear about his departure after PoE was finished. I was already getting myself hyped about seeing his work in The White March expansions and PoE2 but, alas, it didn't quite become so. I have tried to google some interviews in the hopes that he might shed some light on the subject, and even buggered him personally about it on Twitter, but to no avail. So my question is to you: What were the specific reasons he decided to leave? I'm obviously not wanting to poke on any personal issues here that either party wants to keep private, but what is the "official" and public-safe reason, so to speak? Did he just want to go freelance-style or was there somethihng that he disliked about working at Obsidian that would be moderately humane to disclose to the public (me)?

P.S. If it wasn't due to bad blood, would it be realistic to entertain thoughts about future projects between MCA and Obsidian? You know, like from a freelance point of view, collaboration-style. Maybe having him as a stretch-goal if he is willing to particiapate or something alike?

Pronto!

P.S. If it wasn't due to bad blood, would it be realistic to entertain thoughts about future projects between MCA and Obsidian? You know, like from a freelance point of view, collaboration-style. Maybe having him as a stretch-goal if he is willing to particiapate or something alike?

There's some bad blood given his comments in some interviews, I doubt he's going to be working with Obsidian for any future projects.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Avellone left because there were too many people with the name Chris working at the company and none of them would agree to change their name.

In the immortal words of, erm, the Immortal, "There can be only one."

• Like 10

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

As far as I know:

• MCU doesn't like working on fantasy settings all that much
  • Although both characters that he wrote for PoE are in the game (Durance and Grieving Mother), they posses only parts from their original concepts due to cuts from Obsidian

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

we can see obsidian and chris getting back together.  go for a spin in the old buick skylark. drive down riverside and reminisce. talk 'bout the good times. good times.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Avellone in his later years at Obsidian was no longer taking a big role on a project, instead writing little bits and pieces here and there. Since he's left, this trend has actually intensified, and you can find his glowing endorsement on every RPG under the sun and 'advisory' or contributory roles for every other RPG. 

Who knows how much of that is down to him or Obsidian or whatever. As far as I'm concerned he can take my money ASAP once he decides to actually write a full game again - and if he doesn't, he's irrelevant.

• Like 6

we can see obsidian and chris getting back together.  go for a spin in the old buick skylark. drive down riverside and reminisce. talk 'bout the good times. good times.

HA! Good Fun!

Train wreck of a movie. Even more nails on chalkboard than listening to Avellone speak.

HA! Good Fun!

Train wreck of a movie. Even more nails on chalkboard than listening to Avellone speak.

It's actually a pretty phenomenal movie. Avellone is the awesome. But he will not be getting back together with Obsidian again.

I have tried to google some interviews in the hopes that he might shed some light on the subject, and even buggered him personally about it on Twitter, but to no avail.

He might object to being buggered by a stranger, perhaps you should just bug him about it?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

HA! Good Fun!

It's actually a pretty phenomenal movie. Avellone is the awesome. But he will not be getting back together with Obsidian again.

I'll also have to agree with Blodhemn on it, it's pretty poor. I did however enjoy the original version, Open Your Eyes. Recommended, especially for fans of the remake.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden