Mass Effect Franchise Put on Ice, BioWare New IP Delayed, Montreal Studio Downsized

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Origin Systems?  Origin made Ultima and Wing Commander. It was the "crowning jewel" of EA in the 1990s.  This is very reminiscence of what happened to Origin after Ultima IX.  Soon afterward, projects got delayed... and then quietly cancelled a few months later.  Then, over the next couple years, EA shut down Origin, part by part. 

I recognize the pattern here.  It seems that another EA-acquired studio is gonna bite the dust soon.

Well, good riddance.

Edited by ktchong

The "downsizing" has been misframed somewhat, here and elsewhere: nobody got laid off, people were just shifted to other projects/teams, which makes perfect sense, seeing as the game has been released and all they're going to do now is do patches and maybe some DLCs (unless the "Mass Effect put on ice" means no DLC, too, I guess).

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

As I understand it, reducing the size of development teams after a project launches is pretty standard. And I wouldn't expect BioWare to commit to a MEA sequel just yet anyway because in all likelihood, with all the other projects they having in the works, it would be another five years or longer before it came out.

Bioware Montreal isn't EA-acquired.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Although half of the name is, :p.

...and also the franchise they were working on.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Kind of being obvious for a long time.

First you close the forums, start moving people around, change priorities on projects, the book value of Bioware brand is going to fully clean in 10 year period.

The last step is left i.e. Time to rebrand various Bioware studios to EA studios and end it.

Not even caring. I was caring and upset when ME2 and DA2 came up. I was annoyed at ME3, indifferent at DA:I, where i bought it for complete trilogy only (and still can;t finish the damned thing).

Any other Bioware game after that simply does not exist for me. Bioware does not exist for me as a studio by now.

• Like 1

Some people never learn... When do people realize, that giving EA money means, that they soon have enough money, to buyout and kill another quality studio again?

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I hope Andromeda gets a sequel, I liked it and it sets the stage for some interesting sequels

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I hope Andromeda gets a sequel, I liked it and it sets the stage for some interesting sequels

We don't take kindly to your types around here.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

To be fair I think we all saw this coming.... Bioware is like the opposite of Obsidian in pretty much every way.

And yes, while I'm old enough to remember Origin Systems but I never cared to acknowledge them (Sorry).

The Know is a great news source btw. They are pretty much the only gaming news channel I watch frequently.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Paradox is only decent publisher who cares about their dev studios. Don't know any other. EA is the worst, worse even than Ubisoft

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hmm... I love my Ubisoft games. Rayman Legends is still the best platformer I've ever played. Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon are the only FPS to interest me. Beyomd Good and Evil was amazing. Watch Dogs had a better written campaign than GTA5 and Red Dead. uPlay is great for a free game every once and awhile and rewards players with dlc.

Edit: Also I don't think Ubisoft has ever "ruined" a franchise.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Funny video. They're working on a semi-MMO, kinda like DA:I? :fdevil:

Also EA being dedicated to "quality and innovation". Good lord, they're killing me. I mean, I'm willing to buy the first bit, maybe, but "innovation" and EA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm... I love my Ubisoft games. Rayman Legends is still the best platformer I've ever played. Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon are the only FPS to interest me. Beyomd Good and Evil was amazing. Watch Dogs had a better written campaign than GTA5 and Red Dead. uPlay is great for a free game every once and awhile and rewards players with dlc.

Heroes of Might and Magic.... Settlers and more than a few others

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 2

Paradox is only decent publisher who cares about their dev studios. Don't know any other. EA is the worst, worse even than Ubisoft

2K perhaps

they are... decent

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am not saying they don't publish good games, I am saying they are ****ty publishers

Edited by Chilloutman

For ruined franchises? Not really fair, no other large publisher would touch that type of game or something like Might & Magic X with a barge pole, with a few exceptions (eg 2k and XCOM). But then other niche Ubi titles like the Anno series haven't been mentioned on their balance ledger either.

As for Paradox, people have short memories. Their history is of dreadfully optimised published games usually with dreadful bugs which are then dreadfully supported, plus more than occasional fallings out with their sub developers and some truly Bethesda level shenanigans. Their record recently has been better, but frankly it could scarcely have been worse, and they still have... problems. War of the Roses? Their dlc policy? Either would have got a roasting were it EA or Actiblizz doing it. PoE and Cities are successes, sure, much as Magicka was back in the day, but that alone doesn't make them 'nice' publishers. They tend to get a pass because their core games have a high fanboy density- not undeservedly, their internally developed games have nearly all been quality, albeit sometimes delayed quality- and they strive to maintain a reputation as an underdog. But...

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare? SOTS2 release fiasco? Stealing the title Achtung Panzer, which they've since never used? Trying to steal asterisking Mount & Blade as well (ironically, for War of the Roses)? Ship Simulator Extreme? Leviathan? Stalin vs Martians (so bad they've tried to expunge every mention of it)? Defenders of Ardania? A Game of Dwarfs? Impire? They've had more turkeys than Christmas and Thanksgiving combined.

Maybe this is obvious and I'm just not getting it, but why would EA buy/acquire existing developers only to then put them out of business?  If said developer is talented and worth purchasing in the first place, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them afloat?  And if they're not talented, why buy them in the first place?

I get that EA's done it in the past, so I'm not disputing it.  I'm more curious *why* they do it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Games like Might & Magic would have been ruined (changed from what audience percieved them) regardless of which publisher. I think it's safe to say that it would have been dissapointing in fan's eyes even if it was a crowdfunded indie just because it's hard to translate something like M&M for a modern gen.

As far as a indie publisher, I think they are leagues ahead of most other publishers which is why I will continue to support them.

When I look at the lost of indie titles published by Ubi, I can't help but be greatful as they are all decent titles, especially Children Of Anteria which is an awesome game regardless of people hating on it for not being a new Settlers game.

https://www.giantbomb.com/ubisoft-entertainment/3010-82/published/

My friends, do you concur?

That's not quite right- the M&M mothership franchise via M&M X specifically was generally well liked by its target audience, its target audience just wasn't big enough for Ubi ie it didn't sell well enough. In that case the franchise was 'killed' mostly by 3DO anyway, since 8 and 9 were awful.

That's a bit different from the spin off HoMM (or Might&Magic: Heroes as it formally is now) where most regard most of the later iterations- and in some cases all games since 3- as being outright bad, and there have been several Ubi titles made. In that case Ubi can be said to have run it into the ground.

I have to ask though - Were the games really that bad? Or was this more of something like the community saying "Wow... they changed the game to the point where it's no longer what it should have been?" Most of the time when it comes to franchises with a niche audience, it's usually the latter which drive the ratings down.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm defending Ubi, they're definitely not my favorite pub/dev but I do enjoy the games they put out.

For ruined franchises? Not really fair, no other large publisher would touch that type of game or something like Might & Magic X with a barge pole, with a few exceptions (eg 2k and XCOM). But then other niche Ubi titles like the Anno series haven't been mentioned on their balance ledger either.

As for Paradox, people have short memories. Their history is of dreadfully optimised published games usually with dreadful bugs which are then dreadfully supported, plus more than occasional fallings out with their sub developers and some truly Bethesda level shenanigans. Their record recently has been better, but frankly it could scarcely have been worse, and they still have... problems. War of the Roses? Their dlc policy? Either would have got a roasting were it EA or Actiblizz doing it. PoE and Cities are successes, sure, much as Magicka was back in the day, but that alone doesn't make them 'nice' publishers. They tend to get a pass because their core games have a high fanboy density- not undeservedly, their internally developed games have nearly all been quality, albeit sometimes delayed quality- and they strive to maintain a reputation as an underdog. But...

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare? SOTS2 release fiasco? Stealing the title Achtung Panzer, which they've since never used? Trying to steal asterisking Mount & Blade as well (ironically, for War of the Roses)? Ship Simulator Extreme? Leviathan? Stalin vs Martians (so bad they've tried to expunge every mention of it)? Defenders of Ardania? A Game of Dwarfs? Impire? They've had more turkeys than Christmas and Thanksgiving combined.

well you forgetting CK and CK2, Stellaris, Europa Universalis...

I have to ask though - Were the games really that bad? Or was this more of something like the community saying "Wow... they changed the game to the point where it's no longer what it should have been?" Most of the time when it comes to franchises with a niche audience, it's usually the latter which drive the ratings down.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm defending Ubi, they're definitely not my favorite pub/dev but I do enjoy the games they put out.

They were pretty bad

I did end up liking one of the last 3 but can't remember if it was 5 or 6... I know it wasn't 7

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21