Howdy folks!

Trying to get back to this game, as I'm now playing tabletop D&D and would like to play a crpg.

Now.. I fancy a dwarven monk. Maybe he's not the best pick, but I like to roleplay and don't care about min-maxing.

I like to be nimble, subtle and wise. Talkative even.

Can you suggest some good starting stats/bg/place of birth?

Thanks!

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Well, dwarves are cool. I'd go boreal dwarf from white that wends. I like that background but go with whatever suits you.

Stats are easy. High strength and constitution. If you are not into min/max I'd go 16 strength, 16 con. Which leaves 6 points for any stats of your choice. You don't need high dexterity, 10 will do fine if you are using fists, but if you want you could put a few points there.

From what you say though I'd put 4 points into intelligence and 2 in resolve.

So str 16, con 16, dex 10, perc 10, Int 14, resolve 12.

Intelligence is actually a pretty good stat for monks, so actually the only waste from a power point of view would be the 2 points of resolve.

Just make sure to pick up torments reach and force of anguish.

Monks are fun but micro intensive.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

A philosopher or scholar from the Ixamtl plains could work thematically. There's also a thread that lists the background choices you can do and the options available when talking to Calisca. That could help you decide if you want to set the background with that too.

Ixmatl could work well. It's just that dwarves mainly seem to come from Deadfire, White that wends and Valian republics if I'm not mistaken. It's not a problem though, any background will work. I just loved WM 2 and the abbey, so it'd be nice to have a dwarven monk from a similar type of monastery.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

If you go Mountain Dwarf with high might and con, you can be a drunken master whose companions dump poison AOE attacks on him while he's engaged with the enemy.

How so? Is there an immunity to poison?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Ixmatl could work well. It's just that dwarves mainly seem to come from Deadfire, White that wends and Valian republics if I'm not mistaken. It's not a problem though, any background will work. I just loved WM 2 and the abbey, so it'd be nice to have a dwarven monk from a similar type of monastery.

Living Lands is full of fledging Aumaua, Dwarven and Orlan nations....

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

If you go Mountain Dwarf with high might and con, you can be a drunken master whose companions dump poison AOE attacks on him while he's engaged with the enemy.

How so? Is there an immunity to poison?

Mountain Dwarf receives bounds to resist poison...

You have to understand that the PoE dwarf is different from the D&D dwarf. PoE dwarves are still tenacious and have a propensity for being pragmatic, but because of the way the world of PoE works (also, the current cycle isn't as old as many D&D settings) they're more known for being explorers and trailblazers rather than builders.

Think Aragorn, subtract height, that's the typical PoE dwarf. Beer guzzling/grumpiness/aloofness is optional. Boreal Dwarves are basically the northern variety, at home in snowy wilderness areas.

Nothing wrong with a dwarf monk mechanics-wise, and story-wise it makes sense that a wandering dwarf would also be some kind of ascetic. Feel free to pick any background/origin, though from your description an Ixamitl Plains Philosopher or White that Wends Explorer make sense. A few points in lore for scrolls is always nice to have (at least 4 for Scrolls of Protection/Defense), and around 4 points in Athletics/Survival is always useful for any physical combat character. You can dump the rest into Survival, Stealth or Mechanics if you want.

From your description, Mig: x Con: x Dex: 14-16 Per: 14-16 Int: x Res: x makes sense from a dialogue perspective. You need good Perception to open up many of the subtle/wise dialogue options, and IMO you need at least 14 Dexterity to be considered "nimble". That should leave you enough points to develop your other stats, as other people have advised.

There's no measure for actual wisdom outside of how you employ your options. If you want your character to be talkative, just avoid the Stoic disposition.

Edited by scythesong
  • Like 1

Oh, yes...I almost forgot the poison resistance. I prefer the mountain dwarf over the other, in that the ranged bonus wouldn't help me at all. 

So, to sum it up:

Dex - at least to 14

Per - the same

Ixamitl or Wtw as homeland with philosopher or explorer bg.

Avoid stoic disposition.

And yes, I'd go unarmed. Maybe an occasional quarterstaff...

Abilities: Lore, Athletic, Survival. I'd leave maybe stealthy exploration and trap disarming to someone else or I might spread the abilities too thin...

Is this correct?

Sounds about right. Note that reaching 4 points in lore, survival and athletics is easy (about 2-3 levels worth of points) which gives you plenty of points to develop your "main" skill (survival, stealth, even mechanics if you don't mind deferring to someone else for early game).

The thing about skills is that the cost to increase them rises sharply after 8 or so points, so that you'll be waiting multiple levels just to increase them a further 1 point. This is rarely worth it, except for skills like Mechanics and Stealth. You'll want at least 12 points in mechanics for detecting traps and secrets/opening locks and more stealth delays enemy detection.

For most other skills you usually aim for breakpoints. 4 lore is a good stopping point because of Scrolls of Protection/Defense, for example. 8 lore is another good stopping point, for dialog interactions and Scrolls of Moonwell/Valor. 4 Survival is a good stopping point for the accuracy bonus, so is 8 (for the healing bonus). 10 sounds like a good stopping number for survival (accuracy bonus increase) but you can just stop at 8 and let an item boost you to 10.

Around 4 athletics prevents you from getting injuries/incurring fatigue from various challenges and dialog options, and gives you an OK heal.

Edited by scythesong

My bad Boe, I mistook the bonus from the elf I'm afraid... so I get to choose also between boreal and mountain...I'll think about it.

Lore is a thing I like. I like to think my monk as well spoken and educated. So I think 8.

I'd much like to take up mech and stealth but I think It'd be hard to reach high levels...but there are objects around that help right? 

Survival to 4 sounds right enough to me.

Athletics 4 is ok.

So you think it'd be better to focus only on lore or I can do it bringing up stealth and mech?

I would not recommend it. If you're going for 8 lore you can juggle it with survival though, and it would be thematically appropriate - you're not exactly stealthy but you're very knowledgeable about outdoor topics, so you know whether to simply avoid dangerous stuff for example. Mechanics-wise, good survival gives you a selection of useful defensive and offensive bonuses when you use camping supplies (which you'll be doing often).

Ideally you want stealth on someone who only has 4 or less points in two or so other skills, same for mechanics.

Ability boosts come in two general flavors - resting bonuses and gear. Resting bonus and gear boosts stack, but only the strongest from each category is used.

More info on that here.

Edited by scythesong

So I understand you'd focus on lore and survival correct? This way I'd be capable of throwing athletics in without spreading too thin.. that's not bad, I can have someone else do the scouting section... I like the dwarf ranger for instance.. Fox's really cute...he he...

All in all...I think it can be a fun and powerful character...and I love dwarves he he

Vailian Republics aren't a choosable culture option though. Old Vailia is however.

Given the presence of the Vailian Trading Company in PoE2, maybe we'll see that as an option, but that doesn't matter here as it's not an option in PoE1.

Given how big the Aedyre empire is supposed to be, I suppose there could be some dwarves there.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

I was looking at the link above about backgrounds.. wouldn't scholar be fitting? Studied war and combat..eclipsed my mentors... not bad.. it's available from ixamitl plains..

Edit.. just realized you already suggested this to me... ok..

Edited by Slack83er

Vailian Republics aren't a choosable culture option though. Old Vailia is however.

Given the presence of the Vailian Trading Company in PoE2, maybe we'll see that as an option, but that doesn't matter here as it's not an option in PoE1.

Given how big the Aedyre empire is supposed to be, I suppose there could be some dwarves there.

Uh my bad, got confused with Old Valia...

Lord of Light

So this is what I chose: Boreal dwarf, from Ixamitl, scholar, war background with calisca. Stats are: Mig 15 Con 12 Dex 15 Per 14 Int 10 Res 12. Seems very fast, and hits somewhat tough. He has Lore 2, Survival 1, Athletics 1, Stealth 1.

i assume this is correct and viable, yes?

Any object I should take asap? 

Edited by Slack83er

It's viable for sure, but I'd drop one point from dex and 2 from resolve and give him 15 con. 12 is a bit low for a monk.

Lord of Light

I was noticing I was a bit squishy... But resolve has no impact on the dialogues? 

So, going like this will be...

Mig 15

Con 15

Dex 14

Per 14

Int 10

Res 10

Correct?

Oh and...if anyone knows... what feats/abilities would suit him? 

Feats and abilities match up best with equipment types and your choices of enchanting said equipment. You have options.

Early levels I like to go for a lighter armours. Eder's scale mail is nice. I use my fist in the early/mid game. Later levels you will find excellent enchanted weapons that just outshine your fists.

A solid build is Scion of Flame, Turning Wheel, Swift Strikes, Two Weapon Fighting, Lightning Strikes, Savage Attack, Weapon Focus Knight (for swords and axes dual wield... lots of great axes in the later game. Great early sword in the Beginning of the stronghold)..... and go from there. Or WF Ruffian for Sabres. They are the popular choice due to some uniques that great in the late game.

I was noticing I was a bit squishy... But resolve has no impact on the dialogues? 

So, going like this will be...

Mig 15

Con 15

Dex 14

Per 14

Int 10

Res 10

Correct?

Oh and...if anyone knows... what feats/abilities would suit him? 

Theres some dialogue stuff that involve resolve, but nothing critical. As for talents and abilities, theres several builds you can look at to get a general idea in this section. Check out the pinned build list thread for a list (duh) of some builds. There's also the Rogueisn Monk character concept that I posted.

Feats and abilities match up best with equipment types and your choices of enchanting said equipment. You have options.

Early levels I like to go for a lighter armours. Eder's scale mail is nice. I use my fist in the early/mid game. Later levels you will find excellent enchanted weapons that just outshine your fists.

A solid build is Scion of Flame, Turning Wheel, Swift Strikes, Two Weapon Fighting, Lightning Strikes, Savage Attack, Weapon Focus Knight (for swords and axes dual wield... lots of great axes in the later game. Great early sword in the Beginning of the stronghold)..... and go from there. Or WF Ruffian for Sabres. They are the popular choice due to some uniques that great in the late game.

Isn't Eder the only one who can equip the armor that he starts with?

No. Everybody can wear everything exept for a few class specific items like Torc of Defiance (ranger), Cat's Whisper & Killer's Work (rogue), Voice of the Mountaintop (chanter), Zealous Boots & Outworn Buckler (paladin), Berserker's Belt (barbarian), Wildstrike Belt (druid), Cloak of the Tireless Defender (fighter), Blood Testament (monk). Maybe I forgot one or two... 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods