Hi,

I was happily suprised when opening a couple of in-App treasure chests this week to see a couple of Rapiers with the "Swashbuckling" trait and even a cannon!

I wasn't expecting that until a "Skulls and Shackles" App version is launched. Anybody else notice anything?

Thanks

Harry

That cannon had been available for a long time. I know because I couldn't play for half a year (due to switching OS, but they fixed it for me and now I play daily again!) And I got multiples of that card before my break.

Still, chance is high that they are working on S&S, there have been multiple subtle hints (for example I think the alternate version of Sajan has craft and the developers made a comment about that.. and craft is also for repairing ships in S&S

A lot (maybe all?) of the treasure chest cards come from other places. Few if any are entirely new. S&S is just one of many sources (a lot of the others being class decks). I don't think it's a sign of anything other than making use of existing content. If anything it's a sign that they're not thinking ahead to S&S.

Having treasure cards from S&S is kind of awkward for when they're going to implement S&S. Do you include the S&S treasure cards and just have more copies of those cards? Do they add some of the good RotR cards (e.g. Augury!) to the treasure boxes for you to be able to play in S&S? The blessings in S&S are way better than the ones in RotR (Lamashtu being the one exception on the RotR side, and there's still some bad blessings in S&S of course), and so even the "favour" versions of the RotR blessings are going to be diluting rather than enhancing the pool. Maybe you'll want a whole separate treasure-card pool, either collected separately or with some way to manually mark items as being used in one or the other game.

If s&s is ever made it most propably is separate game completely. With its own card pool and its own treasure cards. Just like civ 3, civ 4 and civ 6 Are separe games with their own dls.

If there would be treasure cards in s&s some of them can be same as in Runelords some of the most propably Are not.

But if there will be separate s&s it will take a couple of years to develop it from the Scrach so I would not Expect it at least before 2020. Season of Goblings type scenarios on the other hand could be done much faster, because most cards and locations Are ready, but even that has not been confirmed.

Steam release is next, and maybe some goblin outfits to existing characters. This would be the easiest thing to do, because no new conversations would be needed.

• Like 1

Just because they make it a separate app doesn't mean they need to start from scratch. There _are_ some new mechanics in S&S which will require some new code, and they'll need all new art assets, but I don't think that'd take as long as you're saying to make. It depends a lot more on how well the Steam launch goes. If they make a decent amount of money from that, they'll likely get the green light to start work on new Adventure Paths.

• Like 2

A lot (maybe all?) of the treasure chest cards come from other places. Few if any are entirely new. S&S is just one of many sources (a lot of the others being class decks). I don't think it's a sign of anything other than making use of existing content. If anything it's a sign that they're not thinking ahead to S&S.

I sat through the cardlists for the tabletop- products some time ago and would say roughly half of the treasure cards are pre existing. The highest number of cards i could not recognise in the lists are in Spells, Items and Blessings.

Though I might have missed one and my not have seen all the lists.

Just because they make it a separate app doesn't mean they need to start from scratch. There _are_ some new mechanics in S&S which will require some new code, and they'll need all new art assets, but I don't think that'd take as long as you're saying to make. It depends a lot more on how well the Steam launch goes. If they make a decent amount of money from that, they'll likely get the green light to start work on new Adventure Paths.

True, not completely from the beginning. But a lot of work in anyway. Like 6 new adventures with 5 scenarios each. Even that takes a quite a lot of time. It did take one to two months for each adventure when the engine was allready "ready". 6*2 month = 2 years... I would not underestimate the work that is needed ;) But Hopefully we see new products!

Aaarrrgghhh! A butle of rom and a good ship. What else one pirate can hope for :)

But first Steam and some Goblin stuff!

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

The box set that plays closest to RotR is Mummy's Mask.

Just saying!

I heartily disagree. Mummy's Mask (by far the best set sofar), introduces far more new ideas and concepts than Skulls & Shackles and Wrath of the Righteous combined. 

The introduction of the trigger mechanic adds risks to examining card stacks. There are characters and cards which directly manipulate check results, adding or substracting numbers. In turn there are banes that need to be defeated by a margin to give benefits or hindrances, making these number manipulations valuable. The trader mechanic makes acquiring boons more interesting, as you have a chance to acquire boons of your choice after a scenario. 

And all that before considering the setting, which as many uniquely themed near-eastern, egyptian flavoured cards that are not reproduced in the other sets. 

In my opinion, the set that plays closest to RotR is Skulls & Shackles, as the major new rule are the boats and loot. 

I also disagree, but I think that WotR is the closest to RotR, in the sense that the main objective of both sets is to succeed at combat checks. There is not much need for non-combat checks, as the worst thing they will do is make the combat checks harder, and as long as you can reliably defeat any monster you encounter, you can easily win most games.

On the other hand, both SnS and MM heavily rely on non-combat checks, so pure combat characters often suffer during some of the scenarios. The difference is that SnS almost necessitates to examine in order to have a good chance at encountering stuff your character is actually good at, while MM is top balanced and gives you multiple tools to deal with stuff your character may otherwise suck at.

Contrary to popular opinion, I also consider SnS much more frustrating than WotR - WotR has its own shenanigans, but it's way less random and doesn't demand any non-combat skills that make the game that much harder if you lack them (like Survival and Craft in SnS).

I'm writing this from memory, but the siren on steriods AD6 bane of SnS that demands 'Wisdom 12 THEN Wisdom 12 THEN Wisdom 12' alone is much worse than anything you encounter in WotR, given the tools available. Even with Wisdom: 1d12+4 , your chance of winning is 125/1728 = 7.2% prior to playing anything, and if you miss a single check, you suffer massive mental damage. Good luck with an average character of d6+0...

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1