CAN WE PLEASE GET A MEANINGFUL FIG UPDATE!

Like the title says!

The last 5 or so fig updates for backers have had no substance in them at all. With content consisting off mainly OBS trying to remind people to help spread the word to raise more money.

We want actual information on Deadires content please!!!!

Edited by firkraag888
  • Like 3

Wait what? Update 28-29 had cool lore tidbits. Update 30 was just awesome with alot of technical stuff, 31 some of that also.. If we know anything from the first PoE campaign, it is that Obs will release cool stuff when it's ready for us to see. We'll get there.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 11

The last 2 updates were underwhelming if that's what you mean, especially if you don't like numbers lol

Yes, we'll get a great update focused 100% of the game itself soon!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah I'd like maybe a bit less frequent updates but more meaty. I remeber how excited I was when I was seeing a new update in my mailbox during the Pillars 1 campaign. I don't think I saw any exciting update apart from what we learnt during the fig campaign.

• Like 3

If a dev were to chime in, they'd say something along these lines:

"Hang tight! We're cooking up something amazing for you all ;)"

As opposed to:

"Give us a break, we're a bit busy at the moment..."

I don't think requesting an update about the game is a bad thing or anything people should get offended about. The OP doesn't seem like they were meaning to attack anyone. I see what they are saying, now that the campaign is over we'll get something meaty like we were in earlier in the campaign.

Of course they're working on the game but they are constantly updating twitter, tumblr and facebook so what's the difference of writing an update focused on the game?

Just saying.

So yes OP, you can expect ACTUAL exciting updates soon! :D

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I suppose Obsidian could stop the slow leak of periscopes and whatnot, and instead include those all in meatier updates. I don't really care though personally. If it's what it takes to quell those that can't stand the slow trickle and further generates a larger and more meaningful boost of interest in the game across many forums. Then I suppose that would be the thing to do.

Edited by injurai

That's a good way to look at it too. I thought the last 2 updates were kind of lackluster... mainly because I thought it would be better to put all that info somewhere else instead as an update. So perhaps you're right, maybe they've been saving it up for a huge update which would be great. They should be at least, it's only fair to give backers great updates (I realize the OP isn't a backer yet because no badges or maybe they haven't confirmed their pledge?) but I'm speaking in general.

At some point it's counterproductive to overshare. As Sedrefillos says I'd prefer if they didn't waste time on tons of updates, just go work on the game and let us know every now and then when there's something to share. I paid them to make a good game, I didn't pay them to knock on my door and do a jig and give me weekly updates.

"I don't think requesting an update about the game is a bad thing or anything people should get offended about. The OP doesn't seem like they were meaning to attack anyone. "

Nobody's offended and nobody's attacking, as anybody with eyes can see. Having a different opinion doesn't mean they're scrooges born unto the world expressly to be negative about everything for no reason. 

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 4

True, I'm just tired of the semi-hostile responses and assumptions that can come from the community. Sometimes people are not offended but their comments make it almost sound as if otherwise.

I agree with you with the oversharing as counter-productive as well but the game is huge. I wouldn't even mind a full update dedicated to some concept art of things that may or may not be in the final game. There are tons of stuff they could do.

am not seeing much personal need for updates.  'tween now and the beta, am willing to wait patient 'cause little said 'tween now and then will matter.  after beta, then am gonna wanna hear obsidian observations in light o' community feedback and criticism.  if obsidians is silent after the release o' the beta, then we would be concerned.  

obsidian developers should take a lesson from 41.

updates? shut up and get to your oar, 41.

kidding... sorta.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^What did you just say? Lol

Got to be honest, I would prefer them to be as quiet as possible.... couple of reasons.

It takes time and effort to make updates. As Tigranes said above, they have been paid to make a game not make updates.

Most importantly though, I'd prefer to go into the game completely spoiler free. And the updates can sometimes be a tad specific. Having said that it's easy enough to delete the emails without reading them, it just seems like a waste though.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Saying "They get paid to make games, not updates" is a bit of a stretch to be honest. Updates for backers should be a standard (and are a standard) for kickstarted games. Updates are very important for the development process because you're keeping in contact with the backers and getting feedback.

You have to remember though that they are only updating once every one or two weeks. It takes far less resources and effort to make a Fig update once every one or two weeks as opossed to posting updates daily on Twitter, Facebook,Tumblr, etc. And they don't even have to be long or revealing as the OP's point is for updates to be about the game and not the money.

In other words, these guys are going to stream themselves playing games on Twitch and going to social media to make updates regardless because that's what a marketing/social media worker/team does. Every developer should have someone getting paid specifically to do updates on games on social media places, even if they have a publisher.

Edited by SonicMage117

As a backer, my considered opinion is that I don't want weekly updates and the like to be a standard for kickstarted games. I think they are an unintended consequence of the crowdfunding model with a clear risk for oversaturating, part of the current attention economy where anxiety over intangible 'engagement' drives excessive communications (of which one of the side effects is the ridiculous overblown controversies about some promise or feature or other we get every now and then). 'Getting feedback' is not an unalloyed good; I donated so Obsidian can be freer from outside interferences or interminable PR makework that is a part of the publisher model, not to replace that with unhelpfully excessive 'feedback' or incessant updates.

I'm sure some folks really want them, and I'm sure that in some cases, this does drive up sales and visibility in a way that is profitable. But that's different from the common reasoning that 'everyone's doing it so it must be necessary' (which is, by the way, not generally true in any kind of marketing), and that doesn't mean I, as a consumer and backer, should bend over my preferences. And given the OP started this thread by arguing the updates we already get aren't substantial enough, there's not much leverage in claiming it ain't much. 

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 5

I agree with you, every backer has their valid say in the matter. Especially since they put money into it. By the looks of it, you have put more money into it than me and I'm sure others who disagree with me as well.

I would be okay with updates once a month even. I guess it's more of a personalized thing than anything else. I just don't want anyone here to get the wrong idea that I'm trying to tell a developer to update once every week or every other week or even force communication at all. If communication is being forced by the community or anything at all for that matter than the developer wouldn't be serving the backers period but I believe that updates should come naturally and not be forced. That said, as updates are rotated by people anyways, it's hard to believe that any update would actually feel forced in the first place.

Imho, there's really no such thing as too much or excessive communication with the community imo, I'm sure any dev who loves their fans would say the same thing. Communication is best when bloated, it is worst when silenced.

This is no different from most community backed things.  Frequent, but not so meaningful, updates at first until funding is fully complete.  Then you switch to longer delays, like once a month, maybe even longer, but each update is significant, and has a large amount of info.

• Like 4

I dont care about updates now, but i would have really liked it if they had meaningful updates when there was still a possibility to reach the streach goals. For me, obsidian failed to generate enough hype to still be of the news after the campaign was officially over. That crucial time when new contributers could have been found was wasted.

As of now i only care about the quality of the finished game, the updates are not important. I trust they will make a good job.

• Like 1

I dont care about updates now, but i would have really liked it if they had meaningful updates when there was still a possibility to reach the streach goals. For me, obsidian failed to generate enough hype to still be of the news after the campaign was officially over. That crucial time when new contributers could have been found was wasted.

I don't know that I concur.  Fig is a new platform, many people don't know about it yet, and some don't like it because of it's no paypal restrictions etc etc.  I can't help but feel Eternity 2 also didn't get as much press from gaming sites this time.

Despite all that, it still ended up making more money in the initial funding period than Eternity 1.

• Like 1

It's odd that no one asked OP what a "meaningful" update looks like. 

So far the updates look to me as same updates as for first PoE, except with a bit more beef. With PoE screenshots and gifs were truly rare. Gameplay updates about classes (aka what is class X and how does it play) worked for the first game, but you can barely do that in PoE 2. Many sub-classes sound like they are in a very early stage and could still change drastically at this point.

So what would you expect Obsidian to provide? 

• Like 1

So far the updates look to me as same updates as for first PoE, except with a bit more beef. With PoE screenshots and gifs were truly rare. Gameplay updates about classes (aka what is class X and how does it play) worked for the first game, but you can barely do that in PoE 2. Many sub-classes sound like they are in a very early stage and could still change drastically at this point.

I'm going to take a guess and say about 3-4 minutes of in-game footage with commentary.

• Like 1

Well the last update was 3 weeks ago so I'd like something, particularly more info on sea monsters we know will be in Deadfire if that ingame book was anything to go by.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm going to take a guess and say about 3-4 minutes of in-game footage with commentary.

In marketing terms that's a pretty heavy hitter. You usually only release stuff like that to build serious hype during kickstarter OR to get hype going leading up to release. Right now we are neither here nor there.

Besides, Obsidian is still fairly early in their development cycle. Nothing they would show us gameplay wise would be polished or representative of the released game. So... what is the point? Quests are not in yet/not polished, everything is a mock-up of a mock-up. 

For me myself the last updates had been awesome. I enjoyed a lot seeing how Obsidian created a single location, from modelling it, to drawing over it and then polishing it. Very indepth, very interesting to see what kind of standards Obsidian has concerning art and how much thought they put in it. I like that kind of updates, because they are informative without revealing too much of the game itself.

Edited by Sonntam
  • Like 1