Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1875 replies to this topic

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't understand all the controversy about the number of proficiency points. As far as I am aware, they are still supposed to be the new currency to buy passive talents once they get available to everyone again, are they not?

I believe they said they were going back to the drawing board on this a while ago, then Josh tweeted that picture of a Fighter tree with like a billion passives and saying all classes will be getting more passives. I assume that's how they're addressing this. 

• injurai likes this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Christ people. Can’t this be another thread? 

Josh = various subjects concerning POE2.

If not, it's just a showcase and there's no discussion. Twitter is already here for that. Not my vision of a forum.

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes. Various.

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 472 posts

This thread frequently becomes concerned with a particular topic for several pages at a time, when Josh posts something people feel strongly about. I see nothing wrong with it.

Weapon proficiencies do seem like an illusion of choice right now. Unless they become a budget for generic passives, you'll get every weapon you're ever likely to use around level 8 and then just pick things to get it out of the way.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 20 February 2018 - 03:38 AM.

• IndiraLightfoot, draego and Celeras like this

algroth

algroth

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1033 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I see that Josh has been putting quite a few likes on tweets by Carice van Houten. Might she do VO for Deadfire? Xoti would be a good fit, no?

I suppose we'll find out soon. As a random thought, I reckon the reason why update #45 is being done with 'muppets' is to talk precisely about voice acting (since Katrina and Josh would be voice-acting themselves in that skit). Here's hoping we get to see it this week!

• Mannock and Wormerine like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Christ people. Can’t this be another thread?

If not, it's just a showcase and there's no discussion. Twitter is already here for that. Not my vision of a forum.
If the hope is that Obsidian will see feedback and take it into account for development, then scattering it over 93 pages with all the other braindroppings is counterproductive.

If that isn’t the goal, then this is just a circlejerk and it’s making it more difficult to keep track of posts that are actually related to Josh’s tweets and teasers.

So either way you want to interpret this mess, having it here isn’t helpful.
  • Night Stalker, Doppelschwert, Lord_Mord and 3 others like this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You can't control people. If they want to talk about a thing, they talk about that. During 20 pages. Not your problem. There's no quota here.

If your are not interrested by actual subject, talk about someting else, or does not interfere. If you have a better subject, we follow you, dude.

But stop insinuate that the time is up. And that you whistle the end of recess.

By writing your sentence you will do more drama. because it calls for reactions. Your are not a modo. And the topic will lose more time to answer your attempt of censure that he would to speak again about proficiencies.

I evoke the topics of Pillars 2 that I want, as often as I want. Nobody will tell me what to say or not. Thanks.

Edited by theBalthazar, 20 February 2018 - 07:36 AM.

• draego and Blades of Vanatar like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You can't control people. If they want to talk about a thing, they talk about that. During 20 pages. Not your problem. There's no quota here.

If your are not interrested by actual subject, talk about someting else, or does not interfere. If you have a better subject, we follow you, dude.

But stop insinuate that the time is up. And that you whistle the end of recess.

By writing your sentence you will do more drama. because it calls for reactions. Your are not a modo. And the topic will lose more time to answer your attempt of censure that he would to speak again about proficiencies.

I evoke the topics of Pillars 2 that I want, as often as I want. Nobody will tell me what to say or not. Thanks.

We got a badass here.

Note that nothing you said addresses the point. Because you don’t have a counter argument or because you love the circlejerk and feel obligated to defend it? No need to answer; the question was rhetorical.
  • Doppelschwert likes this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Note that nothing you said addresses the point.

You too on the legitimacy of the post that triggers all that. You not worth it and it was rethorical, obviously : )

Good, go back to more interresting stuff, like Sawyer tweets. You parasitize the topic, and that was the aim of your previous audacious step ; )

Edited by theBalthazar, 20 February 2018 - 07:55 AM.

• dunehunter and draego like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Note that nothing you said addresses the point.

You too on the legitimacy of the post that triggers all that. You not worth it and it was rethorical, obviously : )

Good, go back to more interresting stuff, like Sawyer tweets. You parasitize the topic, and that was the aim of your previous audacious step ; )

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 775 posts
Ding Ding.... Round 3 (couldn’t find a pic of a bubbly scorecard girl in a string bikini, sorry guys....)

mungomunk

mungomunk

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can we please stay on topic, until now this thread was actually informative.

• Doppelschwert and Celeras like this

Sannom

Sannom

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1562 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
However - retraining doesn't have to be implemented in that "brute force" way like in PoE where you simply do a complete level-up right from the start again.

instead you could also do it in a way that you go to a special trainer for proficiencies (think of Osric in Defiance Bay's Expedition Hall in PoE) and simply ask him if he can show you how to use XY better. You would then pick a proficiency you want to lose in order to free up points and then put them elsewhere. That will cost some money and that's it. In Tyranny you had special trainers for stuff. So basically like this but not to improve things but to retrain special stuff. Superimmersive for those who need that to be happy.

The reason it's implemented in this brute force way is because doing a specific UI or system specifically for retraining would be very costly for little to no gain. The current system is just a re-purposed leveling screen.

Restrictions are already there in Deadfire :

• Certain Armors are Vailian, Huana... Only.
  • Soulbound Weapons are Classes Restricted. [Dagger in Backer Beta]

In a sense, the "Carsomyr Case" is already there.

So I don't see why Weapon Proficiencies don't follow the same Path / Logic.

Weapon Proficiencies have been moving away from the BG model for years now, no longer are fighters the class who can get really, really good at using one specific weapon. Instead they have active abilities and they can get better at their weapons of choice than other classes.

And I'm sorry, but multiple weapons who can't be used by all classes and have their proficiency automatically unlocked isn't a Carsomyr situation.

• draego likes this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Can we please stay on topic, until now this thread was actually informative.

*looks on as people continue to post about weapon proficiency*

No, we can’t. That’s the problem. For 94 pages now. Some of us actually check this thread for new tweets and teasers from Josh.
  • Night Stalker, Doppelschwert and Kirk like this

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nobody will tell me what to say or not. Thanks.

Hoo hoo hoo ho. The little wascal has spiwit.

• Messier-31 likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I suppose this thread is getting a little long in the tooth. New thread coming up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users