I'm one of those who hated the Witcher games purely because I hated the character of Geralt!

Agreed, If I wanted to indulge in Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies, I would read one of his hacky novels.

huh?

I think the Witcher games are terrible, and the books are even worse.

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'm one of those who hated the Witcher games purely because I hated the character of Geralt!

Agreed, If I wanted to indulge in Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies, I would read one of his hacky novels.

huh?

Yeah, I got that impression. :) Just surprised by what seems to be a personal grudge against the author. Hey, he dislikes the game series as well. Edited by Wormerine

Agreed, If I wanted to indulge in Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies, I would read one of his hacky novels.

huh?

Never read the books and games 1 and 2 I wasn't a fan (only made it an hour in on each) but witcher 3 is undeniably a great game, deserved all the praise it got.

Agreed, If I wanted to indulge in Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies, I would read one of his hacky novels.

I take it you have read it. It would be a shame if one would lay a claim like this before reading.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

And they were really great in Russian.

To each it's own. People like different things and it's ok.

Personally I enjoyed the games and the books as well.

Played the first game, thrice. Read the books. Played the second one, thrice. Reread the books. Played the 3rd one, but.. only twice so far.

The character of Geralt and the world Sapkowski created appeal to me less nowadays. Much less than when I first read the books so many years ago. That said, Witcher 3 is a fantastically-made game. It won't appeal to everyone, obviously, but I think the level of polish, fine-tuning and skill that went into it should be acknowledged.

...well, except for the inventory and crafting, there's no ****ing excuse for that.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

...well, except for the inventory and crafting, there's no ****ing excuse for that.

With patch 1.20 and "Auto Apply Oils" mod there is no stress now)

He's answered a couple tumblr questions that show up on twitter, but those links are giving an error atm.

Edit: The links on twitter are having issues, but the tumblr page is fine.

Question on what prevents souls from becoming extinct (answer, they grow over time and fragment at the end of a lifetime) (not deadfire related, but interesting nontheless)

Question on how map encounters work:

Question melnorme asked about map encounters on land:

Edited by smjjames

So, there's this Boho Evil Spock guy.  It appears to be a reference to the SA-based "Zybourne Clock" meme.  (New Vegas has a "Wild Wasteland" reference to it, too.) 

That said, a character with headshot art is still going to be organic to the setting in some way.  So I'm guessing he's an Archmage.  That magenta glow and funky pince-nez suggest magic, and they've said that their archmages are some of the wackier characters in the game, so if you're going to cram an internet-joke reference into your otherwise sooper-seerius RPG, that's a good place to do it.  His necklace is made of orbs, so I'm saying that this guy is Tayn.

Also, the line that is mostly cropped out of the pic appears to say "The Lincoln is too stronk. I am sad I cannot s[???]"

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Who's Tayn? A Fallout NPC? Oh you mean Tayn's chaotic orb https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Tayn%27s_Chaotic_Orb That's the only spell with his name though, might not be an archmage.

Also, the fancy pince-nez doesn't neccesarily suggest magic, Ydwin has them too and she isn't a mage, though he does have quite a bit of bling what with the gold glasses and the necklace there.

Edited by smjjames

Who's Tayn? A Fallout NPC?

Also, the fancy pince-nez doesn't neccesarily suggest magic, Ydwin has them too and she isn't a mage, though he does have quite a bit of bling what with the gold glasses and the necklace there.

Tayn is the "eccentric Aedyran Wizard" who invented this spell

Concelhaut and Llengrath were in Pillars 1, and Ninagauth was referenced.  We know that Deadfire has multiple Archmages, to include Arkemyr at the least.  The other people who have Pillars 1 Wizard spells named after them are Minoletta, Kalakoth, Ryngrim, Maura, Caedebald, Citzal, and Tayn.

Edited by Enoch

I don't remember where Ninagauth was referenced, and actually, Arkmyr was mentioned in the context of a colleague (or fellow student most likely) of Aloths screwing up Arkmyr's capricious hex in some manner that was implied to be unpleasant.

Edited by smjjames

In the Russetwood, in WM1, you find an abandoned camp and an interactable soul that shows you Ninagauth killing his apprentice for stealing his Grimoire.  You can then find the Grimoire (including the hilariously overpowered Ninagauth's Shadowflame) near Durgan's Battery. 

The Deadfire update video on Neketaka includes mention of Arkemyr's mansion. 

Oh that guy was Ninagauth, and yeah, I know Arkemyr's mansion as well as the magic shop that he owns (though managed by one of his apprentices) is shown in the update vid showing Neketaka.

I suspect that Tayn would be pretty good friends with Arkemyr.

Edited by smjjames

So, there's this Boho Evil Spock guy.  It appears to be a reference to the SA-based "Zybourne Clock" meme.  (New Vegas has a "Wild Wasteland" reference to it, too.) 

That said, a character with headshot art is still going to be organic to the setting in some way.  So I'm guessing he's an Archmage.  That magenta glow and funky pince-nez suggest magic, and they've said that their archmages are some of the wackier characters in the game, so if you're going to cram an internet-joke reference into your otherwise sooper-seerius RPG, that's a good place to do it.  His necklace is made of orbs, so I'm saying that this guy is Tayn.

Also, the line that is mostly cropped out of the pic appears to say "The Lincoln is too stronk. I am sad I cannot s[???]"

Well my little pet theory has been shot down.

(Edit:  Quote attribution bbcode doesn't seem to be working for me.  Both of the below quotes were posted by Josh in the linked thread.)

I can say that the character is not Tayn, as Tayn canonically looks like Paul Rudd.

Also:

Edited by Enoch