Aww, too bad there is no VOD. Thanks for the codex link HooAmEye. Lacking the VOD, that Tomasz Kaczmarek guy on twitter gave us the the whole thing live. :p

Edited by TheisEjsing

I hesitate to link to the rpgcodex, given how horrible the place is, but this page does have a bunch of screen caps from the talk

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/obsidian-general-discussion-thread.84849/page-208

On the bit about people sticking to traditional DnD stuff and upsetting the experience, I suppose it's hard for people to break out of the DnD traditions since so many games follow that tradition.

I hesitate to link to the rpgcodex, given how horrible the place is, but this page does have a bunch of screen caps from the talk

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/obsidian-general-discussion-thread.84849/page-208

On the bit about people sticking to traditional DnD stuff and upsetting the experience, I suppose it's hard for people to break out of the DnD traditions since so many games follow that tradition.

Considering that PoE revives series of D&D style games, it is not surprising that people familiar with this style of game approach it the way they are used to. 

Is Alpha Protocol an RPG? Is it any good? I might give it a look, I thought it was just a shooter.

I'm one of those who hated the Witcher games purely because I hated the character of Geralt!

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Sawyer posted a link to his slides if you want a closer look.

Things like these are nice, it shows the devs are aware of the good/bad things and will work on them.

Is Alpha Protocol an RPG? Is it any good? I might give it a look, I thought it was just a shooter.

I'm one of those who hated the Witcher games purely because I hated the character of Geralt!

Alpha Protocol, why yes it is, though I never had the will or time to try it.

As of Geralt... well, it had to be him, in order to appease the novels fanbase.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Yes Alpha Protocol is an RPG, though it plays like a third-person Deus Ex (first game).  It has one of the best choice and consequence in a game, doesn't really open up until later though.

I think they portrayed Geralt in some cases badly especially in the first game that have created an image of him that isn't right.  Many seem to think he is a cold-hearted anti-hero type when in reality (of the books and games) he is meant to be care deeply for his friends and tries to do the right thing in a world that is bad.  He's actually a good guy, he just gets stuck with some ****ty decisions sometimes.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I think Alpha Protocol is a good RPG with medicore third person shooting and minigames. It is also fairly short (about 20 hours for a single playthrough) and it is very reactive to your choices. I liked it.

If nothing else it is an interesting exploration of a free-flowing dialogue system and a focus on choice-and-consequences instead of choice-and-success/failure.

• Like 2

I think they portrayed Geralt in some cases badly especially in the first game that have created an image of him that isn't right.  Many seem to think he is a cold-hearted anti-hero type when in reality (of the books and games) he is meant to be care deeply for his friends and tries to do the right thing in a world that is bad.  He's actually a good guy, he just gets stuck with some ****ty decisions sometimes.

That's a good way to phrase it. His life motto is something like "Stay neutral" and "Choose the lesser evil", but it is hard in such difficult circumstances.

Also worth to keep in mind that CDPR hadn't made a game before the Witcher. They basically translated stuff. Quite a journey they've been on. Just hope they don't turn into another EA or something. I was and am very annoyed at them ditching the promised Linux release of Witcher 3 (hence why I haven't bought it yet).

But I digress. Thanks for posting a link to the slides. Interesting reading.

It is a bit like Mass Effect but more of an RPG. It is the really good and really awful at the same time. I have fond memories of it, but at one point I raged and uninstalled it. It has some great ideas, unusual setting for an RPG but its really really really rough around the edges (and completely broken every once in a while). Play on your own responsibility. 

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/918221292972646401

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think Alpha Protocol is a good RPG with medicore third person shooting and minigames. It is also fairly short (about 20 hours for a single playthrough) and it is very reactive to your choices. I liked it.

If nothing else it is an interesting exploration of a free-flowing dialogue system and a focus on choice-and-consequences instead of choice-and-success/failure.

Maybe I oughtta give it a shot sometime. My problem with most RPGs nowadays is that, even when they try to break from good/evil choices, they tend to fall back onto just success/failure. Even when they try to make it about consequences for your choices, it's usually just "try for outcome A, or try for outcome B. You picked A? Your consequences are that outcome B happens no matter what, MUAHAHAHA!" So, it tends to feel flat.

One of the most important things to keep in mind when designing choice branches is the idea that the player's choices matter. That doesn't mean that if you try to convince the Goblin King to be nice instead of mean, he just does it. But, if your choice can't influence the situation and alter the flow of the story (even if it flows back to "Goblin King still bad, he still does the bad thing"), then there's no point in offering the choice.

So, I think it's best for those options to be designed with "Here's the situation: what can the player DO about this?" in mind, rather than "What end-goal should the player character be allowed to pick?". It's more important to be able to react like we want to to a situation, than to be presented with these huge "do you let this guy live or kill him?" decisions that seem to be working backwards from the outcome design. Whether he lives or dies (just an example), there are about a dozen other ways in which to react. Maybe you kill him yourself, or maybe you anonymously hire someone to kill him, which makes it look like some faction did it, which causes problems with another faction. Maybe you tell the guy who's looking for the person who destroyed his family's livelihood growing up that this quest-person is the one he's looking for, and you convince him of that. HE kills him. Maybe he finds out you were lying, maybe he doesn't.

Consequences. What do you want to do, and what does that change? We don't really care if there aren't 73 different options for who takes over as king on a throne. We just want 73 options for how to GET to that point, and for contextual things to be meaningfully different when we do, even if the same "thing" happens.

Sorry... mini-tangent.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Lephys You might like AP then. There are quite a few ways the story can playout and game responds even to an order in which you decide to take on the missions. Conversation system is an intruiging one - it has time limit so you have to choose your responses under pressure and they describe your attitude - suave, aggressive etc. Not a perfect system but worked pretty well and easily my fav part of AP. Give it a shot, especially if you can catch it one on of the sales. It could have been a true an RPG gem if it was less broken.

• Like 1

• Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Agreed, If I wanted to indulge in Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies, I would read one of his hacky novels.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer