Iselmyr is the one who did GOMAD... Aloth is lactose intolerant

What is Iselmyr ain't there? I guess not matter what, Aloth found time to bulk. Probably because of the long cast times.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's funny, really, but none of the hype Obsidian invests into the ship mechanics interests me one bit. It's not that I don't like it, or think it will be bad. I'm just absolutely indifferent. Which, I suppose, should concern me a bit more than it does, given how major it's shaping up to be.

Yeah. Although I like th econcept it isn't what I'm looking forward to this game. The ship is the place you hang out and talk to campanions, travel around etc but 90% of the action is gonna be on the islands. Since this isn't a game about managing a ship but about exploring on foot, fighting on foot and roleplaying on foot, I believe it's totally normal to don't give a damn about the ship. Even Obs said that if you don't want to mess with the ship much you don't have to. You stick with oroginal boat, original crew and skip cannon battles to ship boarding battles so...

Now that I think about it, I don't know why they spam so much about it :p

• Like 1

It's funny, really, but none of the hype Obsidian invests into the ship mechanics interests me one bit. It's not that I don't like it, or think it will be bad. I'm just absolutely indifferent. Which, I suppose, should concern me a bit more than it does, given how major it's shaping up to be.

Yeah. Although I like th econcept it isn't what I'm looking forward to this game. The ship is the place you hang out and talk to campanions, travel around etc but 90% of the action is gonna be on the islands. Since this isn't a game about managing a ship but about exploring on foot, fighting on foot and roleplaying on foot, I believe it's totally normal to don't give a damn about the ship. Even Obs said that if you don't want to mess with the ship much you don't have to. You stick with oroginal boat, original crew and skip cannon battles to ship boarding battles so...

Now that I think about it, I don't know why they spam so much about it :p

It's one of the few completely new features Deadfire offers. You can either talk about ship or you can talk about multiclassing. We heard tons of stuff about multiclassing, but previously barely anything about ships. So it's logical that now there is a stronger focus on ship mechanics.

• Like 1

It's one of the few completely new features Deadfire offers. You can either talk about ship or you can talk about multiclassing. We heard tons of stuff about multiclassing, but previously barely anything about ships. So it's logical that now there is a stronger focus on ship mechanics.

Exactly. How do you advertise Deadfire? What is the thing that seperates Deadfire from other RPGs? Ships! There were things like the ship in other RPGs but it is a new, interesting addition, which makes Deadfire unique. Sure, the core of the experience is cRPG, new improvements to expected systems are what will make or break the game, but ships are the most unique and marketable addition.

Yeah, from a marketing standpoint putting the ship rules front and centre makes absolute sense. I've just never been big on management and leadership parts of RPGs. Though it kind of feels like single-player RPGs are gravitating towards including those...

Starting a non-profit god-hunting adventuring organization comes with a fair share of paperwork. I think it's fair, to reflect that in an RPG;) 

• Like 1

Sawyer elaborated on barrel diversity and other objects with combat significance in the game:

[...] In addition to gunpowder barrels, there are also:

* Regular barrels!!!  These mostly serve as improvised blockades.

* Oil barrels - Very large and require a lot of fire damage to ignite, but they cover the surrounding area with flaming oil for quite a while.  There are also tiny versions of these called oil amphoras.

* Casting totems - These increase the casting capabilities of creatures.  E.g. a naga shaman cannot normally summon storm blights, but can do so through a casting totem.

* Sigils - Sigils are specific to a type of attack: Atrophy, Death, etc.  They build up energy and pulse when enemies (i.e., the party) come near them.  Each pulse inflicts a stacking malus that lasts until rest.  Sigils can be destroyed by direct attacks or they can be protected against through the use of a charged wardstone that corresponds to the type of sigil.

* Burrows - Mostly used by grubs and beetles. These are placed spawners that can be destroyed.

* Essence batteries - Big magical batteries.  They are sometimes connected to magical traps/other magical devices and destroying the battery can shut them down.

I think that’s most of them.

• Like 3

I'm definitely interested in the ship stuff and its one of the new things I am looking forward to in this game.  Having something like this has been a fantasy of mine for a long time, such that I really hope they do it right and don't get me all excited for nothing.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If we can deal the final or any critical path battle with it or use roleplay during scripted interaction that have effect to the critical path or any other major quest then the ship will have true meaning. Else it'll just be a (well designed hopefully) side thing like stronghold was. Only better because it fits good to the theme.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I like all that "Aloth - the master of the rapier" stuff. ;)

Never played him any other way. Spelltongue upgraded to legendary plus some Concelhaut spells, plus the ability to confuse everyone around, when it gets too dangerous. My Aloth is unstoppable in melee (I recently found that cloak that lets him disappear on crit. Makes him even more unstoppable). And he's a good shooter, too. I never understood all that whining about useless mages in PoE. Aloth is the most important member of my group and can even replace Eder as a meatshield if necessary. At least for a while. Like some kind of swiss army knife. I think, I'll try an Aloth solo run.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Interesting ropekid SA post today:

A change that unfortunately did not go into the last BB update (but is implemented in our internal builds) is that all characters, single- and multi-classed, get 2 abilities per power level when they reach a new power level.

All grimoires now (as originally intended) have 18 spells, 2 per power level.

Druids will also be gaining bonus spells at each power level, like priests.

I will also say that close to every single adjustment we've made to mechanics in Deadfire has been the result of listening to player feedback: not overwhelming the player with druid and priest spells, making grimoires more important, making the Interrupt/Concentration mechanic clearer/cleaner, making the armor system less "mushy", removing generic Talents because a ton of people didn't like that they felt generic*, moving away from per rest resources, etc.

* A common reply to this is often, "Well, just don't make them so generic." Including creature abilities, we have -- this is not hyperbole -- one thousand ability files that we have had to create, update and maintain. Covering original mechanical ground is difficult with that volume of character classes and power levels.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Interesting ropekid SA post today:

A change that unfortunately did not go into the last BB update (but is implemented in our internal builds) is that all characters, single- and multi-classed, get 2 abilities per power level when they reach a new power level.

All grimoires now (as originally intended) have 18 spells, 2 per power level.

Druids will also be gaining bonus spells at each power level, like priests.

I will also say that close to every single adjustment we've made to mechanics in Deadfire has been the result of listening to player feedback: not overwhelming the player with druid and priest spells, making grimoires more important, making the Interrupt/Concentration mechanic clearer/cleaner, making the armor system less "mushy", removing generic Talents because a ton of people didn't like that they felt generic*, moving away from per rest resources, etc.

* A common reply to this is often, "Well, just don't make them so generic." Including creature abilities, we have -- this is not hyperbole -- one thousand ability files that we have had to create, update and maintain. Covering original mechanical ground is difficult with that volume of character classes and power levels.

The first part is interesting indeed. This means the balance has shifted somewhat to where single classes will have more ability points and it would take multiclasses to Level 25 (28 if Level 10 abilities are introduced) to catch up with single classes and by then the single classes will have had 6 more opportunities to select high level abilities. I wonder how that balances, or if multiclasses get more abilties or tuneups elsewhere to compensate.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The first part is interesting indeed. This means the balance has shifted somewhat to where single classes will have more ability points and it would take multiclasses to Level 25 (28 if Level 10 abilities are introduced) to catch up with single classes and by then the single classes will have had 6 more opportunities to select high level abilities. I wonder how that balances, or if multiclasses get more abilties or tuneups elsewhere to compensate.

This is the mechanic that lines up with what I thought I was backing going back to last year. Unlike the state that the beta has seemed to be in. Odd that the beta didn't have this concurrence when what they want is balance feedback. Hopefully there is enough time to garner feedback with respect to this mechanic being in play.