It sure sounds perfectly reasonable. Versus Evil is a US-based publisher, and THQ Nordic is located in Vienna, Austria (a perfect central location in Europe, close to other major cities like Budapest, Munich, Milan, Prag, Zagreb, Warzaw, Belgrade, Bern, Berlin, Lyon - heck, even Bucharest, Sofia, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Copenhagen, and Kiev).

THQ Nordic is actually a Swedish company though. But they have a subsidiary in Vienna, that is true.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Why is this announced as a deal between Versus Evil and THQ Nordic rather than between Obsidian and THQ Nordic? Why was the partnership between Obsidian and Versus Evil announced separately and so much earlier? Why was Versus Evil decleared as partner for "destribution" rather than "digital destribution" as quoted above? Is spring 2018 really still the target? Surely spring ends at E3 at the very latest. Even less time to produce and ship if the target date is earlier. Was there not always a plan to release physical copies? Why is this announced only now? The deal between Obsidian and Paradox was announced a whole year before PoE came out.

Based on what information was published I can only assume that Versus Evil was not capable of the physical destribution required for Deadfire and THQ Nordic had to be brought in to fix it.

It sure sounds perfectly reasonable. Versus Evil is a US-based publisher, and THQ Nordic is located in Vienna, Austria (a perfect central location in Europe, close to other major cities like Budapest, Munich, Milan, Prag, Zagreb, Warzaw, Belgrade, Bern, Berlin, Lyon - heck, even Bucharest, Sofia, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Copenhagen, and Kiev).

THQ Nordic is actually a Swedish company though. But they have a subsidiary in Vienna, that is true.

Yes, their HQ is in slightly remote Karlstad, Sweden, but they call Vienna "their operational office".

@Beyond The Sea: Yup! What you say in your last sentence is most likely the reason behind it.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

So, here's a weird teaser from the official @WorldofEternity twitter account.

"w6Pdzu"?

I looked back at the previous Bestiary tweet on Imps, and there appears to be a similar string of digits that I can't quite make out in the top center of the .gif.  (Looks to me like it starts with a "2" and ends with a "W," but I can't read the rest.)

Maybe I'm seeing things, but I think we've got a new MYSTARY on our hands. 

• Like 3

Potentially related:  The reddit comment I noted in this thread a few days ago from an Obsidian marketing guy about the release date:  "We may have some news on this very soon. Stay tuned to Obsidian's channels."

Of things that they could potentially be teasing in code, the release date would be my first guess. 

Edited by Enoch

So, here's a weird teaser from the official @WorldofEternity twitter account.

"w6Pdzu"?

I looked back at the previous Bestiary tweet on Imps, and there appears to be a similar string of digits that I can't quite make out in the top center of the .gif.  (Looks to me like it starts with a "2" and ends with a "W," but I can't read the rest.)

The "z" looks like a "2" to me, so it might be "w6Pd2u".

The other one (imp bestiary tweet) seems to be "BtF6nW", funny thing is no one seems to have noticed this one, they probably made the second one clearer because of that.

Edited by Daled
  • Like 1

The "z" looks like a "2" to me, so it might be "w6Pd2u".

week 6, Pillars deadfire, to you. Yay!!!!!!!! :ban:  :dancing:  :aiee:

Pd may also be President's day, which could be 2/19/2018 (still week 6). Is this the patch, though? I mean, isn't this still winter on the West Coast?

Week 6 2018 begins on Monday, February 5.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The other one (imp bestiary tweet) seems to be "BtF6nW", funny thing is no one seems to have noticed this one, they probably made the second one clearer because of that.

Beta Testing Finishes 6 number Week :biggrin:  

Perhaps both strings are the same digits in different order/capitalization?  There is definitely a W in both, and arguably also a 6, a 2, and a P.  Does "62Pwud" mean anything to anybody?  "UpWd26"?

(The next 26th that lands on a Wednesday isn't until September, alas.) 

w6Pd2u was more or less crystal clear. But the other code may perhaps be read as 2tP6nW. "n" upside down, and mirrored becomes "u".

That leaves "d" in the first code and "t" in the second as unique.

Otherwise: BtP6nW. Beta test Patch 6 next Week (or rather Wednesday, given capital W)? That means next beta patch Wed Jan 31 2018.

And if you reshuffle w6Pd2u, you'd get update on week 6, day 2, that is Tuesday Feb 6 2018.

Have you entertained the thought they might have put random numbers and letters there to watch us hock our brains on their (totally absent) meaning? :p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Have you entertained the thought they might have put random numbers and letters there to watch us hock our brains on their (totally absent) meaning? :p

Recall that Obsidian has done this trick before

That wasn't random, people figured out that puzzle. It spelled Deadfire.

Yep, someone didn't finish their homework. Enoch, I'm looking at You.

Also, these bestiary gifs do not load for me, so I see squat :(

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

for frame o' reference, is our recollection the pillars of eternity announcement o' delayed release came 'bout 1.5 months after the initial beta build release.  the actual release date for pillars, march 26, 2015 were announced 'bout January 20, 2015. if deadfire is on schedule, and deadfire follows same announcement pattern as poe, then one would be expecting a release date "soon."  big if.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)