I will never understand why Pallegina is so bitter over those glorious feathers.

Probably tired of being treated like a freak by ordinary people. Also, some family issues.

I'm sure all the times Durance called her "Bird woman" didn't help much either.

For a Durance it almost sounds like a compliment.

• Like 2

I think in Pallegina's case it's personal offence and grief turned into a philosophical issue. She came to view the ostracism she suffered - particularly in the patriarchal Vaillan society, where being infertile makes her not a woman - as a result of the gods' meddling. They altered her life and those of other godlike, and they're not accountable for it in any way. Kind of hard to argue with that, honestly.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo
  • Like 2

I will never understand why Pallegina is so bitter over those glorious feathers.

Probably tired of being treated like a freak by ordinary people. Also, some family issues.
I'm sure all the times Durance called her "Bird woman" didn't help much either.

For a Durance it almost sounds like a compliment.

Better than the way he calls his own goddess - a fiery whore

Gosh, i wish Durance was one of the companions here in PoE 2 

• Like 4

I think in Pallegina's case it's personal offence and grief turned into a philosophical issue. She came to view the ostracism she suffered - particularly in the patriarchal Vaillan society, where being infertile makes her not a woman - as a result of the gods' meddling. They altered her life and those of other godlike, and they're not accountable for it in any way. Kind of hard to argue with that, honestly.

Yeah, no, I get all that. Mostly joking. But gosh, those feathers <3

I don't know, seems like a weak excuse.  You can leave the republics, she could have actually been born a man, she could have been born a man to dirt farmers in Aedyr.  That is no less "the gods fault" than her being an avian godlike.  Don't need feathers for hair to be reviled by society, or treated like a freak. 

In all honesty, in eternity 1,  no one really treated her "badly" other than durance, and he didn't exactly restrict that to her.

I don't know, seems like a weak excuse.  You can leave the republics, she could have actually been born a man, she could have been born a man to dirt farmers in Aedyr.  That is no less "the gods fault" than her being an avian godlike.  Don't need feathers for hair to be reviled by society, or treated like a freak. 

In all honesty, in eternity 1,  no one really treated her "badly" other than durance, and he didn't exactly restrict that to her.

Eh Hiravias wasn't great to her either, all that speculation about her genitals and whether she had a cloaca was pretty creepy.

Eh Hiravias wasn't great to her either, all that speculation about her genitals and whether she had a cloaca was pretty creepy.

He does seem a bit cursed with extreme curiosity, heh.

I wonder who's gonna be gay this time. Not gonna be surprised if it's the most popular and funny characters as always, just to screw straight players.

Heh, as a straight male player romances often screw me because my mains are mostly female characters. That's also why I prefer female companions to not be straight, but bisexual.

Am pretty sure am not alone in this. And here is my logic around sex selection:

- first I choose the best matching racial (from build point of view), and this seals my race choice

- next I take a look how male and female models and animations of the given race look like.

- if there is normal looking armor (not some micro-bikini crap) and I like the voice preset, chances are I will go for female MC, because usually they are more graceful and pleasant to look at.

On a mildly related note:

> I don't really RP in the sense that I invent a completely new personality and act like I think that character would. It's rather viceversa. The character acts like a better me would, with few corrections based on the setting, lore and game world. And it's kinda obvious that there is more freedom for me with female MC, because there is less self-projection than there is with a male.

> Btw, have tried to recall what my MC/Romantic interest where in the RPGs I've played:

- NWN: female druid - none

- NWN: male - created just because wanted to check if it's possible to romance Aribeth. Sadly not.

- NWN2: female druid - none

- NWN2: female swashbucker/monk/shadowdancer - none

- NWN2: male wizard/rogue/swiftblade - checked Shandra; not possible

- NWN2: female fighter/bard/swiftblade - none

- DAO: female mage - Leliana

- DAO: male rogue - Leliana

- DAO: female rogue - Leliana

- DAO: male fighter - Leliana

- DA2: female fighter/mage (two-handed vanguard blood mage) - tbh, none of romance options was really clicking; but in the end went with Merril.

- DA3: female mage (knight-enchanter) - was really weird that Leliana is not an option. Went with Josephine.

- DA3: male rogue (tempest) - went half-way for Cassandra, but decided to not go further. Btw it felt somewhat awkward with Dorian. Really liked his personality; but had to try and not step into his romance.

- DA3: female mage (rift mage) - none

Edited by MaxQuest

I choose my MC in much the same way, with the caveat that I hate romances in RPGs and tend to avoid them regardless.

• Like 6

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I wonder who's gonna be gay this time. Not gonna be surprised if it's the most popular and funny characters as always, just to screw straight players.

Heh, as a straight male player romances often screw me because my mains are mostly female characters. That's also why I prefer female companions to not be straight, but bisexual.

Am pretty sure am not alone in this. And here is my logic around sex selection:

- first I choose the best matching racial (from build point of view), and this seals my race choice

- next I take a look how male and female models and animations of the given race look like.

- if there is normal looking armor (not some micro-bikini crap) and I like the voice preset, chances are I will go for female MC, because usually they are more graceful and pleasant to look at.

On a mildly related note:

> I don't really RP in the sense that I invent a completely new personality and act like I think that character would. It's rather viceversa. The character acts like a better me would, with few corrections based on the setting, lore and game world. And it's kinda obvious that there is more freedom for me with female MC, because there is less self-projection than there is with a male.

> Btw, have tried to recall what my MC/Romantic interest where in the RPGs I've played:

- NWN: female druid - none

- NWN: male - created just because wanted to check if it's possible to romance Aribeth. Sadly not.

- NWN2: female druid - none

- NWN2: female swashbucker/monk/shadowdancer - none

- NWN2: male wizard/rogue/swiftblade - checked Shandra; not possible

- NWN2: female fighter/bard/swiftblade - none

- DAO: male rogue - Leliana

- DAO: female rogue - Leliana

- DAO: male fighter - Leliana

- DA2: female fighter/mage (two-handed vanguard blood mage) - tbh, none of romance options was really clicking; but in the end went with Merril.

- DA3: female mage (knight-enchanter) - was really weird that Leliana is not an option. Went with Josephine.

- DA3: male rogue (tempest) - went half-way for Cassandra, but decided to not go further. Btw it felt somewhat awkward with Dorian. Really liked his personality; but had to try and not step into his romance.

- DA3: female mage (rift mage) - none

Whatever, you can justify it however you want. Personally, I have zero interest in any gay/same sex romances in games, but as they became more popular and numerous with each (BioWare) game, romances to me became such a disappointing feature to the point of indifference. Looks like since BG times BioWare writers can't for the life of them write a decent, not cheesy, straight romance and not feel ashamed of it. 

So I'm not holding my breath for POE2 relationships/romances, even though I voted strongly for their inclusion, because for all their faults they do liven up the game. Maybe they will be a breath of fresh air, maybe not. Not getting my hopes up though.

P.S. Most screwy scenario in POE2 right now - all 3 POE1 veteran characters are gay, the rest are bi and Maia's bird companion is not interested in romances at all   :devil:

Edited by Aramintai

This should be Aloth. He is ALREADY half-woman  :grin:

Well, he's already popular and funny, so the chances are pretty high. 

You know what would be really cool about Aloth? If you made him keep Iselmyr in POE1 then he'd like males because she'll be dominant, but if you made him suppress her then he'd like females. Though I doubt devs thought of this and are just gonna put a cliche 'gay' label on him cuz he's an elf  :rolleyes:. Too bad.

Edited by Aramintai

You know what would be really cool about Aloth? If you made him keep Iselmyr in POE1 then he'd like males because she'll be dominant, but if you made him suppress her then he'd like females. Though I doubt devs thought of this and are just gonna put a cliche 'gay' label on him cuz he's an elf  :rolleyes:. Too bad.

*sigh*

This is why I find romances in cRPG's redundant.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I just hope that the whole romance thing won't feel as forced as it does in Bioware titles, where the entire world is MC-sexual no matter what (as long as you play the 'choose the correct [romance] dialogue option' mini-game).

Well, it's been confirmed that some will not be interested in a romance at all.

Also, some will be interested in a romance with another companion, not sure how it will turn out if MC puts an eye on them though, sounds like Aerie and Haer'dalis triangle to me.

This was discussed in a previous thread before, I think some people felt that Iselmyr wasn't trying to take over Aloth but was just trying to make him more assertive.  And was trying to get him to hit on people she knew he wouldn't have the guts to do on his own as part of this, such as her comments towards Pallegina. 

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams