Necromancy above all other magicks though.

(mostly because i'm an absolute edgelord)

For which you use electrical impulses to move the corpse's muscles, and ice magic because... liches?

Not sure what Ice magic has to do with Liches (apart from the fact that Liches are the coolest  8) )

• Like 1

Yeah, that was why I ended that with a question mark. It was partially a stretch for me to justify my 2 favorite magic types still being the best even with necromancy (was mainly being silly), and partially that ice magic is often associated with any magical undead (freezing grasp, or just liches with their ice magic, etc.). I guess the whole lack of body heat thing means that they're naturally cold, so if they had magic, it would be more attenuated with coldness? *shrug*. It kinda makes sense, but doesn't really mean that if you're undead you HAVE to have ice magic. :p

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I do like Lightning and electricity attacks, always go for them over Fire and Frost when given a choice. :)

Lightning and frost will always reign supreme.

Necromancy above all other magicks though.

(mostly because i'm an absolute edgelord)

You know, I keep trying to leave necromancy, but no matter what I do it keeps bringing me back.

• Like 5

I thought cold and necromancy were associated because freezing and death are both types of entropy...?

I don't think so. The main instance I can thing of in which Liches were connected to necromancy and cold is Warcraft 3, and that was because their creator just so happened to be stuck in a frozen throne in the coldest part of the world.

I thought cold and necromancy were associated because freezing and death are both types of entropy...?

I don't think so. The main instance I can thing of in which Liches were connected to necromancy and cold is Warcraft 3, and that was because their creator just so happened to be stuck in a frozen throne in the coldest part of the world.

It goes earlier than that.  Chill touch in BG1 is a necromancy spell.  Chill of the grave and all that.

It goes earlier than that.  Chill touch in BG1 is a necromancy spell.  Chill of the grave and all that.

But Chill touch wasn't a 'frost' spell per say, it dealt necrotic damage, did it not? Less about 'brrrrr it's cold' and more about 'ghostly hand poking you in the eye'

But Chill touch wasn't a 'frost' spell per say, it dealt necrotic damage, did it not? Less about 'brrrrr it's cold' and more about 'ghostly hand poking you in the eye'

Yeah, they didn't actually use the term "necrotic damage" to describe the specific damage type until 4th edition and after, but you're right that Chill Touch doesn't actually inflict cold damage. The caster channels negative energy to disrupt the target's life force or spook undead (though the latter part didn't carry over into 5e).

Odd... I feel, like wizards, a few classes could lean on a trinket-like item. Certainly not all need to. I think having partially fulfilled layers of classes that differ is what makes things interesting in class based systems.

I don't see it as that odd.  Grimoires were central to the Wizard class from day 1, providing a significant portion of the class's power and flavor. The other classes (so far) aren't structured around an item like that.  What class functions do you take away and ensconce instead in an item?  And, if you do make the trinkets that powerful across-the-board, then you have the problem of ensuring that each class (and, in some cases, each flavor of each class) has access to appropriately leveled trinkets throughout the game. 

If, on the other hand, you make the effects of non-grimoire trinkets comparably small, well, why bother with all that extra work?  If it's just another equipment slot that you can fill with a +5 Deflection item (or whatever), well, you can get similar class-flavor effects just by having some exclusive hats or belts (soulbound or otherwise). 

It would've been nice and neat to have the classes all have parallel equipment slots, but I get why they decided that this was a lower-priority feature.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Odd... I feel, like wizards, a few classes could lean on a trinket-like item. Certainly not all need to. I think having partially fulfilled layers of classes that differ is what makes things interesting in class based systems.

I don't see it as that odd.  Grimoires were central to the Wizard class from day 1, providing a significant portion of the class's power and flavor. The other classes (so far) aren't structured around an item like that.  What class functions do you take away and ensconce instead in an item?  And, if you do make the trinkets that powerful across-the-board, then you have the problem of ensuring that each class (and, in some cases, each flavor of each class) has access to appropriately leveled trinkets throughout the game. 

If, on the other hand, you make the effects of non-grimoire trinkets comparably small, well, why bother with all that extra work?  If it's just another equipment slot that you can fill with a +5 Deflection item (or whatever), well, you can get similar class-flavor effects just by having some exclusive hats or belts (soulbound or otherwise). 

It would've been nice and neat to have the classes all have parallel equipment slots, but I get why they decided that this was a lower-priority feature.

My understanding is that equipment slots are restricted to specific bonuses now, so a trinket slot could be more flexible and generic.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus