Apparently other communities where way more aggressive than us.

The codex is an awful and horrifying place

The fact that I used to agree with the people over at RPGCodex is a persistent source of mild shame for me.

Codex is a cool place with many interesting and nuanced discussions, and a very diverse pool of members from all around the world. Not sarcasm.

Diverse, sure (although the internet is a just diverse by itself). Nuance? No, definitely not. Just lots of casual slurs, racism, sexism, and tons of whining

• Like 7

The fact that I used to agree with the people over at RPGCodex is a persistent source of mild shame for me.

Codex is a cool place with many interesting and nuanced discussions, and a very diverse pool of members from all around the world. Not sarcasm.

Diverse, sure (although the internet is a just diverse by itself). Nuance? No, definitely not. Just lots of casual slurs, racism, sexism, and tons of whining

So it's the 4chan of the RPG crowd?

• Like 2

Sadly it manages to be a bit of both.  There are interesting discussions there, the problem is everyone takes it up to 11.  Things are loved then hated.  Their view of Pillars is really interesting, because it was the worst game ever before it came out.  Then the games that were supposed to kill it (Serpent in the Staglands, Planescape) turned out to large problems of their own.  Now it's more nuanced.

• Like 2

butthurt.png

• Like 2

Some stuff from Josh

Iretep posted:

Personally i hope i can take the opposing captains heads as trophies and collect them. Or hats are fine too.

Defeating an enemy ship gives you a unique triumph (a small flag) that corresponds to the captain.

frajaq posted:
wait so there will always be a way to "brute force" to turn the ship duel into a straight tactical fight with my characters, I don't have to engage in cannon duels/ship maneuvers? I'm down with that

Well, if you can reach the ship, yes. If you send the Defiant headlong at a Rauataian junk broadsiding you, you may not make it.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:
I hope you can see boats moving around the seas in the full game. The beta ocean feels so empty graphically, if I saw trader / enemy ships moving around that would be awesome

That is something we're working on right now.

Wizard Styles posted:
The enemy AI can actually deal with facing an army of 36 and still prioritizes targets fairly well. What it can't deal with is 12 skeletons that can engage and get Disengagement Attacks when enemies try to run past them. Disengagement attacks don't feel powerful individually but when it's a horde of summons getting them it adds up and the AI's way of deciding whether or not to take Disengagement Attacks seems fairly simple and unable to factor in other enemies (that are capable of Engagement) close enough to intercept them on their way to whoever they're trying to get to. At least that's what it looked like when I drowned the world in skeletons, which admittedly is a pretty extreme thing to subject the AI to.

Skeleton summons were very OP in the backer beta release. They will be tuned down significantly in the next patch.
Edited by draego

Check out this thread on “random” vs deterministic systems in RPGs—glaze over the few, clearly sarcastic/hyperbolic, one-line ad hominem posts—and you’ll find a very nuanced discussion on abstraction in video games, depth of simulation when it comes to modeling real-world resembling actions (e.g. capturing not only decision scenarios under certainty, but under uncertainty and risk as well), what probability IS (does it merely represent our uncertainty/inaccuracy/lack of knowledge in a deterministic world? Is there actual randomness on the quantum level?), whether or not any actual RNGs are possible in computer simulations and what that means for game systems, and so on.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/random-numbers-essential-in-rpgs-or-not-discuss.119345/

Not that there aren’t ALSO lots of casual slurs, and racism, and whining on the codex, but it would be absurd to argue that no nuanced discussion can occur because of that fact.

• Like 1

See, that is my problem with it. The stuff on the front page is fantastic, and usually is great at pointing at flaws that other publications miss. Games that are reccomended are often unfairly passed over, and have some fantastic content (except for AoD, not sure why people like that). The problem is that everything is buried under this giant mountain of crap, that kills all the interesting sections of the codex. Quite a shame.

Anyhow...

https://twitter.com/jesawyer?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Like 2

Yes. It's like searching for a silver needle in a toxic waste dump filled with noxious bilge. I might get lucky... or I could just let somebody else find it for me.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think one problem is that people just don't know how to ignore people anymore. They either have to spiral off-topic, or just stop discussing altogether to avoid the firecrackers on a forum. And lots of people seem to get intimidated. "Well, I had lots of useful stuff to say, but those three people were having a shoutfest in the topic, so I just kept to myself." But, if people would just continue actual discussion and ignore anyone who isn't actually interested in it, threads would flourish and people who just wanted to cause trouble would very quickly find the threads not-at-all fun to be in.

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think one problem is that people just don't know how to ignore people anymore.

Did somebody say something?

They either have to spiral off-topic,

What's that got to do with Eder's beard??

or just stop discussing altogether

to avoid the firecrackers on a forum.

*bang* ouch

And lots of people seem to get intimidated.

Aargh! It's a Slowpoke *tremble*

"Well, I had lots of useful stuff to say, but those three people were having a shoutfest in the topic, so I just kept to myself."

*quietly puts away his notes on how to achieve world peace*

But, if people would just continue actual discussion and ignore anyone who isn't actually interested in it, threads would flourish and people who just wanted to cause trouble would very quickly find the threads not-at-all fun to be in.

You mean I'm supposed to actually contribute something?  That sounds like work to me...

Oh all right - wands using strength is a little odd - but we can explain it away as rjshae suggested above (or was it in another thread?), and it does make 'weapons' v. 'magic' a bit easier to build around.  Also means Strength isn't a dump for wizards who want to have a backup wand.  (Though with spells now per encounter, I might just be having a wand to look the part).

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think one problem is that people just don't know how to ignore people anymore. They either have to spiral off-topic, or just stop discussing altogether to avoid the firecrackers on a forum. And lots of people seem to get intimidated. "Well, I had lots of useful stuff to say, but those three people were having a shoutfest in the topic, so I just kept to myself." But, if people would just continue actual discussion and ignore anyone who isn't actually interested in it, threads would flourish and people who just wanted to cause trouble would very quickly find the threads not-at-all fun to be in.

I don't know what I do wrong, but everytime I really try to contribute something useful to a discussion I become involved with troll people and suddenly am an active part of this downward spiral to madness. So it's not that easy.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

I don't know what I do wrong, but everytime I really try to contribute something useful to a discussion I become involved with troll people and suddenly am an active part of this downward spiral to madness. So it's not that easy.

I often find myself in the same situation. I'm afraid I don't have a solution either.

I'm just a RIchard, I try to keep it under wraps but sometimes it just bursts forth.  Particularly when I get wound up.  Working to improve it though, used to be REALLY easy to wind up on forums before.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Oh, it's mega hard. It's simple, but not easy. :)

We just have to make as much of an effort as possible. I believe being conscious of this grand scheme of things helps a bit, though, when we feel compelled to ride the spiral with trolls or hold our tongues for fear that our post will be ignored or we'll somehow be interrupting a battle.

Off-tangent, I'm glad Josh is addressing most of the things that seem problematic. I feel a lot better about their iteration flow this time around. I know they had a pretty huge time crunch on the first game, so there were things they kind of resolved themselves to, even though they knew a different system might have worked better (like individual stealth, and settling for group stealth, etc.).

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus