As others have said, something with a smoother gradient than "3 strikes and you're out" wounds would be preferable. As I mentioned before, in Dragon's Dogma, all damage you take gradually reduces your temporary maximum health (you can restore your maximum health by resting at an inn). So, you may get hit, and now you can only heal back up to 97% of your health. Get hit again, now 95%, etc. Obviously the rate can be adjusted, and to get some of the niftyness of wounds-type stuff, you can have certain attacks or conditions alter the amount of max health you lose, so that not every hit drops it the same amount.

Anywho, the result is that you go around fighting and getting hit a bit, then, after a few fights, you look at your health and think "Ahh, I've still got like 87% max health. I should be good." As opposed to "Aww man, I got a wound. There goes a big chunk of my health. Better get rid of that."

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Damn you, different time zoners. There should be a universal countdown clock somewhere.

it is current 07:00 in california. is not universal, but as obsidian is california...

previous key releases began happening approx 10:00.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Quote from the stream regarding multiclassing companions:

What we are currently supporting, and this might change, [...] is that when you get a character in your party you will have the option of taking them as, uh, it depends on the character. So there'll be three options depending on the character: so if you get Edér it'll say 'hey do you wanna be a Fighter, a Rogue or a Swashbuckler?' There are other characters like Aloth where it'll be a Wizard, or a Wizard mixed with another class (that we'll define), [...] or a third option that's a Wizard mixed with yet another class. So that's what we're currently supporting. Depending on how testing of that goes we may open that up to support more than that, it just turned out to be more technically complicated in terms of UI and progression than we had expected.

So, currently, it looks like we won't have full control over how we multiclass companions. A little disappointing, as I had been looking forward to making Edér a Fighter/Priest of Eothas, but perhaps it'll change.

It's what I said, only no one would believe me.

It's actually a pretty obvious consequence of the changes to the multiclass system.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

What we are currently supporting, and this might change, [...] is that when you get a character in your party you will have the option of taking them as, uh, it depends on the character. So there'll be three options depending on the character: so if you get Edér it'll say 'hey do you wanna be a Fighter, a Rogue or a Swashbuckler?' There are other characters like Aloth where it'll be a Wizard, or a Wizard mixed with another class (that we'll define), [...] or a third option that's a Wizard mixed with yet another class. So that's what we're currently supporting. Depending on how testing of that goes we may open that up to support more than that, it just turned out to be more technically complicated in terms of UI and progression than we had expected.

So, currently, it looks like we won't have full control over how we multiclass companions. A little disappointing, as I had been looking forward to making Edér a Fighter/Priest of Eothas, but perhaps it'll change.

It's actually a pretty obvious consequence of the changes to the multiclass system.

Huh  :huh:

For me companion multiclassing possibilities locked to specific classes (e.g. Eder only as a Fighter/Rogue) was clear from the start.

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

For me companion multiclassing possibilities locked to specific classes (e.g. Eder only as a Fighter/Rogue) was clear from the start.

Sure, me too, but I got a lot of flack for saying so. There seemed to be an expectation that they would be able to choose to make Eder a fighter or rogue then choose any other multiclass.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Well, I wouldn't say it was that obvious. For instance I thought that Eder's primary class was limited to being either Fighter or Rogue, which made sense, since having Eder a wizard/priest would be just weird. But I was under impression that we are still free to choose their secondary class.

That said I am ok with the new limitations, like having to choose for Eder to be fighter, rogue OR swashbuckler. So long as we can at least choose their subclasses (be it from the start, or via some companion-specific quest)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Huh  :huh: For me companion multiclassing possibilities locked to specific classes (e.g. Eder only as a Fighter/Rogue) was clear from the start.

Well, I wouldn't say it was that obvious. For instance I thought that Eder's primary class was limited to being either Fighter or Rogue, which made sense, since having Eder a wizard/priest would be just weird. But I was under impression that we are still free to choose their secondary class.That said I am ok with the new limitations, like having to choose for Eder to be fighter, rogue OR swashbuckler. So long as we can at least choose their subclasses.

Early concept for multiclassing companions was like you said: pick on class from “recommended ones”, pick other of your choice if you want. One of the forums member cleverly read between Josh’s lines after multiclassing update and pointed out that multiclassing companions will be more limited after the change. As it turns out he was 100% right.

Sure, me too, but I got a lot of flack for saying so. There seemed to be an expectation that they would be able to choose to make Eder a fighter or rogue then choose any other multiclass.

You got zero flack for it.  You made a claim that the companion classes would be locked down and that we would have zero choice about whether to multiclass them or not, a few others pointed out information that conflicted with that, including the video that stated quite clearly that you 'chose to multiclass or not' when the character joins the party, and you immediately attacked everyone, accusing them of attacking you (when they were just raising points and were not arguing with your claims at all), made claims that we were expected to accept with no links or sources cited despite it conflicting with what had been officially released at the time and generally acted like a prat, and so people treated you as a prat in response. 

Funnily enough, my statement is proven right: you still get to choose whether they can be multi-classed or not when the character joins your party, as you can choose whether to keep Eder single class or multi-class.  Feel free to debate this but don't be surprised that if you act like a prat you will be treated like one.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

You got zero flack for it.  You made a claim that the companion classes would be locked down and that we would have zero choice about whether to multiclass them or not, a few others pointed out information that conflicted with that, including the video that stated quite clearly that you 'chose to multiclass or not' when the character joins the party, and you immediately attacked everyone, accusing them of attacking you (when they were just raising points and were not arguing with your claims at all), made claims that we were expected to accept with no links or sources cited despite it conflicting with what had been officially released at the time and generally acted like a prat, and so people treated you as a prat in response. 

Funnily enough, my statement is proven right: you still get to choose whether they can be multi-classed or not when the character joins your party, as you can choose whether to keep Eder single class or multi-class.  Feel free to debate this but don't be surprised that if you act like a prat you will be treated like one.

1) You have a funny idea of "no flack".

2) I said you would no longer be able to choose to multiclass as a consequence of the announced changes, and hence would not be able to make Eder a Rogue/Druid. I also stated, giving Swashbuckler Eder as a specific example, that you would be to choose a preset multiclass option for a character when you first met them.

3) The "information that conflicted" clearly showed the old multiclassing system which we had been told had changed. So was meaningless.

4) The only evidence that was required was the announced changes to the multiclass system. This was an obvious consequence.

5) I believe calling someone a "prat" is against the terms of conditions of these message boards. It would be nice if just for once someone admitted they where wrong and apologised, rather than resorting to Trump-like name calling. People only resort to throwing insults when they have no valid arguments to throw, and, as an insult, they don't come much more feeble than "prat".

Edited by Fardragon

2) I said you would no longer be able to choose to multiclass as a consequence of the announced changes, and hence would not be able to make Eder a Rogue/Druid. I also stated, giving Swashbuckler Eder as a specific example, that you would be to choose a preset multiclass option for a character when you first met them.

3) The "information that conflicted" clearly showed the old multiclassing system which we had been told had changed. So was meaningless.

4) The only evidence that was required was the announced changes to the multiclass system. This was an obvious consequence.

5) I believe calling someone a "prat" is against the terms of conditions of these message boards. It would be nice if just for once someone admitted they where wrong and apologised, rather than resorting to Trump-like name calling.

No you didn't.  Here's the thread where you got the 'flack' for making the claims.  Note my response, first that I was just pointing out what was said in the video (and was not even directed at you), your response where you acted like it was some sort of personal attack upon you and citing some source as evidence, and then my response where I pointed out I wasn't even disagreeing with you and asking you to chill it with the attitude.  No one there gave you flack except for me, and that was in response to your behaviour, no one was even really disagreeing with you they just didn't see where you got this information from and yet you went off on one about being attacked and given flack.  Do you really expect people to just accept your word and never disagree with you (which was the real issue, that people were disagreeing with you).  It would be nice for you to cut the obnoxious behaviour and to back down please.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94066-a-rundown-of-the-companions-and-sidekicks-available/page-3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

5) I believe calling someone a "prat" is against the terms of conditions of these message boards. It would be nice if just for once someone admitted they where wrong and apologised, rather than resorting to Trump-like name calling.

No you didn't.  Here's the thread where you got the 'flack' for making the claims.  Note my response, first that I was just pointing out what was said in the video (and was not even directed at you), your response where you acted like it was some sort of personal attack upon you and citing some source as evidence, and then my response where I pointed out I wasn't even disagreeing with you and asking you to chill it with the attitude.  No one there gave you flack except for me, and that was in response to your behaviour, no one was even really disagreeing with you they just didn't see where you got this information from and yet you went off on one about being attacked and given flack.  Do you really expect people to just accept your word and never disagree with you (which was the real issue, that people were disagreeing with you).  It would be nice for you to cut the obnoxious behaviour and to back down please.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94066-a-rundown-of-the-companions-and-sidekicks-available/page-3

Thankyou for finding the thread for me. You might have found it less embarrassing had you read it first.

"But you don't "multiclass" (verb) now. A character is either multiclassed or they aren't.  For example, Eder. When you first meet him you can choose for him to be a fighter, a rogue, or a fighter/rogue. No other options are available, and if you choose fighter he can't at some future point become a fighter/rogue (unless there is a full respec option)."

-me

Thankyou for finding the thread for me. You might have found it less embarrassing had you read it first.

"But you don't "multiclass" (verb) now. A character is either multiclassed or they aren't.  For example, Eder. When you first meet him you can choose for him to be a fighter, a rogue, or a fighter/rogue. No other options are available, and if you choose fighter he can't at some future point become a fighter/rogue (unless there is a full respec option)."

-me

And where are the people attacking you for making that claim?  Debate does not count as attacks.

This is embarrassing, can't you do this privately? There is a private message function I believe...

Sorry, you're right and it's derailing the topic, I'll bow out now. 

• Like 2

I must say, when we heard about the change to multi-classing, I was expecting that we would still be able to choose freely one of the two classes for the companions, and from what Josh has said in the stream, I'm not sure I was wrong to think so. It seems that they wanted to create an interface to "force" the player to make a choice when recruiting each companion and that this interface proved to be more difficult than anticipated to build, hence why we will only have three choices per companion now, with three being the optimal number so as to accommodate those companions who could choose between two classes for their base class in the old system, as they can now go full on one class or go for a multiclass of the two.

@Sannom:

For what it's worth, the initial multi-class system design was different from the current one. Many of the changes to that, methinks, affected the decision to restrict companions to their thematic classes.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u