I guess i haven't been in the loop, because this is the first time i heard about the removal of injuries/per-rest abilities/two health bar system.

You've been quiiite of the loop then :) as it was mentioned quite often.

As smjjames mentioned, injuries are going to remain. You can get them when your hp reaches zero, or via scripted interactions. They are the soft reason to rest now, instead of the 'hard' reason which was the limited health pool. And empower is the 'soft' replacement for per-rest spells.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I don't think this one got mentioned, though DexGames noticed. Last night, Josh Sawyer posted a retweet of Adam showing the lead programmers whiteboard. https://mobile.twitter.com/adam_brennecke/status/930312452117377024

It's primarily mundane unexciting stuff and I guess shows what beta testers will be encountering soon.s

Edited by smjjames

Honestly, Iiked the idea of Health + Endurance. It's possible it could've been executed better, maybe? I honestly really like Dragon's Dogma's system, which is very similar. Every time you take damage, your maximum health gets reduced (so you've got a green health bar, and when you get hit, a portion at the end turns "empty"-clear, and the rest of your damage shows as a grey bar at the end of the green). The green part is always your current health, the grey part is the health that's healable and the clear part at the end is the portion you cannot heal.

I don't know what the ratio is, exactly, but that's a pretty fun variable to play around with. You could even have certain types of abilities/damage reduce your current maximum by more than other types. But, this way, you can ALWAYS heal up after battle, it's just a matter of how much. I want to say that smaller hits take very little off your max health, so as long as you fight smartly, you can last quite a long time without having to go back to a town and rest.

Annnnnywho...

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

PoE1 never had any sort of carry limit, doubt PoE2:Deadfire will. The largest possible stack might be 99, but 99 would last you a long while.

There were hard limits on the number of camping supplies you could carry. Are you saying that has been removed for food?

I was specifically thinking about food items, heh.

I don't know if the camping supply limit has been removed or not., and I think someone said camping supplies still exist.

@judas varnas: Injuries weren't removed, they're basically the same as in PoE1. As for per rest, they were exchanged for per-encounter, but you have fewer spell charges per encounter. The one thing that is per rest though are the empowers as they only get replenished after rest.

Injuries will be much worse than in PoE. One wound will mean one quarter of your maximum health gone, four wounds and it's death.

Honestly, Iiked the idea of Health + Endurance. It's possible it could've been executed better, maybe? I honestly really like Dragon's Dogma's system, which is very similar. Every time you take damage, your maximum health gets reduced (so you've got a green health bar, and when you get hit, a portion at the end turns "empty"-clear, and the rest of your damage shows as a grey bar at the end of the green). The green part is always your current health, the grey part is the health that's healable and the clear part at the end is the portion you cannot heal.

I don't know what the ratio is, exactly, but that's a pretty fun variable to play around with. You could even have certain types of abilities/damage reduce your current maximum by more than other types. But, this way, you can ALWAYS heal up after battle, it's just a matter of how much. I want to say that smaller hits take very little off your max health, so as long as you fight smartly, you can last quite a long time without having to go back to a town and rest.

Annnnnywho...

I loved it too, it was one of my favorite design choices from pillars 1. Injuries are basically just a discrete version health, and now endurance has been renamed health. So I think things will work somewhat similarly, just conveyed in a different way.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the new system, but I prefer the granularity of the old system. Every fight could chip away at you until you needed to rest, or one very tough fight could put much of your party near death. With the new system, you only really have to worry about falling unconscious. The old system also discouraged heal spamming as health wouldn't get healed, though this probably won't be a huge issue with the rebalanced casting.

• Like 5

I'm fine with the new system, but I prefer the granularity of the old system. Every fight could chip away at you until you needed to rest, or one very tough fight could put much of your party near death. With the new system, you only really have to worry about falling unconscious. The old system also discouraged heal spamming as health wouldn't get healed, though this probably won't be a huge issue with the rebalanced casting.

I agree, but I don't think you'll be incurring injuries from every fight. I forget the conditions, I think if you hit 0 endurance, and maybe certain attacks give them. So you still have the ability to "hang in there."

Personally I think they are already solving the rest issues outside of the new health system, but I guess they think this new form better conveys their intentions. *shrugs*

Edited by injurai

I agree, but I don't think you'll be incurring injuries from every fight. I forget the conditions, I think if you hit 0 endurance, and maybe certain attacks give them. So you still have the ability to "hang in there."

Personally I think they are already solving the rest issues outside of the new health system, but I guess they think this new form better conveys their intentions. *shrugs*

Also keep in mind that with limited “per encounter” spells spamming healing might not be possible or be a heavy trade off. We will see how it will go.

Question: injuries are done only with knokout/ scripted interaction or also if you get dmg over a thrashold ( i.e. dmg over 10% of endurance like in tyranny)?

Most probably not from damage threshold. They haven't said anything like that and with injuries being a way to die in Deadfire I think it would have been a bit "cheap" to have you die in the middle of combat because an opponent rolled a good attack out of nowere.

Question: injuries are done only with knokout/ scripted interaction or also if you get dmg over a thrashold ( i.e. dmg over 10% of endurance like in tyranny)?

I am pretty sure Josh said somewhere at some point you will only get injuries by getting knocked out. People should be able to confirm it tomorrow.

In the first game, we had 3 mechanics, Endurance, Health and Injuries, to track 2 things: how much damage until I drop in combat, and how much damage until I die.

Now we have 2 mechanics, and they still measure those 2 things. It's basically the same system, but less messy.

Oh I agree that the new system will probably be fine, I'd just have preferred if they left the endurance/health mechanic and, if they needed to remove something, they removed injuries. It's not a big deal though.

• Like 2

I also liked the old endurance/health system. Bit of a bummer, but I'm sure I'll forget about it quickly.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Quote from the stream regarding multiclassing companions:

What we are currently supporting, and this might change, [...] is that when you get a character in your party you will have the option of taking them as, uh, it depends on the character. So there'll be three options depending on the character: so if you get Edér it'll say 'hey do you wanna be a Fighter, a Rogue or a Swashbuckler?' There are other characters like Aloth where it'll be a Wizard, or a Wizard mixed with another class (that we'll define), [...] or a third option that's a Wizard mixed with yet another class. So that's what we're currently supporting. Depending on how testing of that goes we may open that up to support more than that, it just turned out to be more technically complicated in terms of UI and progression than we had expected.

So, currently, it looks like we won't have full control over how we multiclass companions. A little disappointing, as I had been looking forward to making Edér a Fighter/Priest of Eothas, but perhaps it'll change.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

Quote from the stream regarding multiclassing companions:

What we are currently supporting, and this might change, [...] is that when you get a character in your party you will have the option of taking them as, uh, it depends on the character. So there'll be three options depending on the character: so if you get Edér it'll say 'hey do you wanna be a Fighter, a Rogue or a Swashbuckler?' There are other characters like Aloth where it'll be a Wizard, or a Wizard mixed with another class (that we'll define), [...] or a third option that's a Wizard mixed with yet another class. So that's what we're currently supporting. Depending on how testing of that goes we may open that up to support more than that, it just turned out to be more technically complicated in terms of UI and progression than we had expected.

So, currently, it looks like we won't have full control over how we multiclass companions. A little disappointing, as I had been looking forward to making Edér a Fighter/Priest of Eothas, but perhaps it'll change.

Yeah sounds like a bummer, although it gives the companions more character tbh.

Most probably not from damage threshold. They haven't said anything like that and with injuries being a way to die in Deadfire I think it would have been a bit "cheap" to have you die in the middle of combat because an opponent rolled a good attack out of nowere.

Yeah that's basically a rule straight out of D&D 3rd Ed--"You just took half your HP in damage, roll con to see if you pass out and start dying."

• Like 1

I also liked the old endurance/health system. Bit of a bummer, but I'm sure I'll forget about it quickly.

The new system isn't that different mechanically. They just changed the POE1 Health pool value to an hidden static 4 for everyone and instead of damage reducing it, only injuries do.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I find the wound system a little less forgiving. If a character gets taken out he will suffer reduced health ranging from 3/4 (one wound) to 1/4 (3 wounds) while in the old health/endurance he'd lost a lot of health but the character remained "fully functional" with full endurance in the following fights (and still suffered a permanent health loss for any damage he took).

That said, while I still like a lot the old system, with the whole game balanced around wounds it's not going to be a problem, resting food has been moved from a very limited resource to almost unlimited, so if you really need to rest to heal those pesky wounds you can do it no matter how much time passed from the last one. The new system doesn't even give up the resource management aspect of the old one with the different food type bonus.

• Like 2