Deadfire pack for PoE, what's that?

• "The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018"

I presume it will also feature some bug-fixes and some patch-balances, etc.

This one's interesting.

The question seems to reference this tweet, but Josh's answer doesn't seem to square with either it or my recollection. 

In the Council of Stars stage of the Pillars 1 main quest, you need to gain "favor" of at least one of the four gods you can speak to, by doing a quest for them in exchange for safe passage to Sun-in-Shadow.  You only need one, but you can do all 4 quests if you want to.  (IIRC, there's even an achievement for it.)  Additionally, once you gain their favor, each offers you a boon in exchange for your promise to send the trapped souls to a particular destination.  However, you can only make this promise once, and you can choose not to make any, if you prefer to leave your options open and don't mind doing without at (minor) stat boost. 

The only way the present Tumblr post makes sense is if "pledge" refers only to the gaining of favor by performing a quest.  Which is not "mutually exclusive," as the previous tweet indicated.  Curious.

Edited by Enoch

You can pledge to multiple gods (5 in total). You can betray (by picking Wael's choice) them all, and lay 5 divine curses on the Dyrwood. Sadly, you can't betray Wael, since he asks for no pledge.

You cannot (at least, not without a bug or console command) go to sun-in-shadow without pledging to a god (and receiving the boon). If you try, the game ends, and shows you an ending slide describing what happens to you (splatter). Josh's comments are accurate.

One source of confusion is that you can only enjoy one boon at a time, regardless of how many gods you pledge to. By pledging to a new god, you receive a new boon which erases the previous boon.

Edit: I've done a little play testing, and there's clearly some bugs that have yet to be fixed. It's possible for the "X's Boon" talent to disappear after pledging to multiple gods, and without this you can still survive the pit, but none of the gods remember if you betrayed them. Also, I can't seem to get Skaen's betrayal ending slides to occur, no matter what I do.

Edited by cheesevillain

You cannot (at least, not without a bug or console command) go to sun-in-shadow without pledging to a god (and receiving the boon).

That's... not how I remember it going down at all.  Could've sworn that my most recent character completed all 4 quests, ended all 4 divine conversations on "I'll have to get back to you later on that whole 'boon' thing" notes, and jumped into the hole without incident.  I'd check my late-game quest logs and abilities to see if there's something I missed, but I have the game uninstalled at present.  Can anybody else confirm this? 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Can anybody else confirm this?

You're right. To get the souls you need, completing the gods' quests (e.g., the Nest Above the Clouds, A Servant of Death, etc.) is enough. You don't have actually make a pledge to any of the gods to deal with the souls the way they want you to. I've completed a playthrough back in March or April this year without making any promises to any of them and thus without gaining any boons.

• Like 2

You haven't heared of the Gremlans? In what part of Eora are you living in mate?

My going-to-import character is from Deadfire Archipelago) East coast island, born and raised.

They shapeshift if they eat food after midnight.

Look at that fur; or "dunk in water" for berserker's frenzy. Edited by MaxQuest

Looking at that "next level" tweet makes me wonder if it'll be possible in some iteration or way to use the CC/digital Character Sheet for the PnP.

Build the character digitally, take a screen dump. Keep your sheet on your phone, referencing skills and appearance easily for DM and other players.

Actually, wouldn't a lot of Deadfire's management systems be useful in a PnP? Journal/Beastiary/Maps/Inventory etc.?

Edit: Pillars of Eternity PnP Mobile Application Tool?

Allow several players to connect together. One DM being able control and give Players items/rewards, tasks, journal entries, encounters etc. use some scripted interaction templates and press "Send"?

MnG, Mobile and Go? Play wherever you are with whoever you want.

Edited by Osvir

IIRC Josh said on his Tumblr that the PnP game won’t be based on the same system as the cRPG, so not sure there’d be much of a benefit from integrating character sheets.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

He did. Just saying there are a lot of digital tools in the engine that could be useful in ways to present one's character.

Edit: Also just playing with the thought of a digital PnP experience... MnD? DnM? (Mobile n Digital, Digital n Mobile).

Stills and sheets and stuff, turn based, edittable scripted events. Monster encounters, quest givers. All phones have keyboards after all.

A mobile game.

Just a playful thought.

Edited by Osvir

I am not sure what the issue is. The 2D art in pillars looks better than DOS2 to me. The camera can be annoying in full 3D iso also like in DOS2. I guess if game dev cycle is faster that is one reason to switch. I mean DOS2 look nice maybe if Obsidian did the same with a more grounded fantasy look i would think differently so it could be hard to compare.

• Like 1